Play in front drivetrain

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
raider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 96' Hilux Raider 2.4 4x4 SC, 12' Mitsubishi PJS 3.2 4x4

Play in front drivetrain

Post by raider »

Hi,

Had the rear propshaft out on my SFA and took vehicle in for a spin in FWD but whenever I accelerate I get a rocking thumping sound. The same happens when I release the accelerator pedal.

Is it due to worn out bushes or mounts?

Regards
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Play in front drivetrain

Post by Mud Dog »

Could be. First question, is the torque rod still in place? What is the condition of the bushes on the torque rod? Could be a bit of slap in the diff - try rotating the front prop back and fro with the vehicle parked, in neutral and the hub-locks engaged. you shouldn't have more than about 8 to 10mm play between stops.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
raider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 96' Hilux Raider 2.4 4x4 SC, 12' Mitsubishi PJS 3.2 4x4

Post by raider »

Thanks Mud Dog! So do I put the gearlever and transfercase lever both in neutral? or just the gearlever?
lock hubs and rotate back and fro.

Torque rod is still there. Suspension is standard since it left the factory in 1996 and vehicle has 110 000km on the clock.

Last week went playing in the mud and the pinion seal went on the rear diff.

I suspect that the seals and bushes are starting to give in after 20 years of service? Not bad hey?

Can the torque rod bushes be bought separate?

Regards
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

First try it with both levers in neutral. This will give you an idea of the amount of play in the diff - the play, if any, in the hub-locks will be included in the amount of travel.

You can al;so check the X-fer box for play by doing the same exercise while disengaging the hubs and engaging both levers. - not a very accurate indicator of X-fer box wear because it will include any play in the gearbox as well.

Have that pinion seal replaced soon.

The torque rod bushings cannot be replaced separately, they are factory pressed. An engineering works will be able to do it for you, or you will have to replace the rod - that is if there is excessive play there.
:winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”