What Recovery Equipment do you use.
bullit
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesberg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Advice on recovery tracks.

Post by bullit »

So I've been looking around for recovery tracks.
The maxxtrax are obviously right up there but I can't bring my self to paying R4000 for a pair.

4x4 mega world have a similar track called desert track and outdoor warehouse also has a track. These are a lot cheaper.

Has anyone had any experience with the two latter tracks.
What would you recommend. We are heading up to kubu island soon and don't want to take any chances.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Advice on recovery tracks.

Post by Mud Dog »

A couple of chequer plate sheets will do a pretty good job and so will a couple of aggressive pattern retread strips - a bit heavier than the commercial units, but a lot less pricey. :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Ryan do you need to build a short bridge ? THIS is where these ultra heavy duty units comes to their own.

If you only need some grip to get out of sand or mud ? Then any of the lighter (more flexible) track units, with aggressive tread pattern, can do the job. And now it moves to a toss up between weight and packing space ....
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I still cannot see the use for recovery tracks.. :shock2:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
bullit
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by bullit »

Morning gents.

Thys come on you can't say that and not tell us why.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

I have a set of tracks which I got from Pieter waaayyy back when he asked me to test and break them. We only used them for training in the beginning. Then we realised that they dont really add any value unless you get stranded somewhere where there really is nothing else whatsoever to use to create traction under your wheels. Kubu Island is well traveled, tracks are usually firm, unless you go in the rainy season and unless you venture onto the Pan on your own making new tracks.... But then you deserve to get stuck.. :twisted: :twisted:

In sand, if you get stuck, you dont need tracks, you need to deflate your tyres more. Jacks the vehicle up and put stuff under the wheels to create traction. There are 1000 other things you can do beside carting a pair of bright orange pieces of plastic all over he African countryside. :twisted: :twisted:

Also remember, once you used the tracks, you need to stop to retrieve them... and most of the time they are buried 2 feet deep under muck and dirt... and then they are not so nice and orange any more en alles is onder modder..

I would much rather invest in a Hilift jack, and learn how to use it properly before I go and buy a set of sand tracks..

BUT, this is my own opinion.. If you feel you can use them, go for it..
Thys de Jager

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

hehehe ....

we have done a few kilometers of overlanding - solo trips.

TWICE we were confronted with "risk getting stuck, or turn around" ....

On top of Baviaanskloof I pushed through, and thankfully did not get stuck. Later heard the farmer had to recover no less than 6 4x4's that day. But I KNEW it was a well travelled road, and knew even the worst case would be a short lived hold-up.

The other incident was in Namibia. Actually made peace that we would rather do a 300km detour. Then another vehicle came along, we discussed the options, and agreed to do the detour together. As we were about to turn around a third vehicle came along. We teamed up and tackled the section together ... ended up towing out number 3 in one spot. But together we made.

In neither these spots a track on its own would have helped ... but a high lift and some packing material and lots of sweat would have eventually gotton us out.

But frankly, when you travel solo you need to be a realist and choose your options with a clear mind. No place for bravado on such trips.

The ONLY place I could see some use for the hard planks are if you come accross a section that was washed away, and need a short bridge. Yet to find this on any of our travels.

And the weight and space really should make one think twice ... our 4x4's are already WAY overloaded ....
bullit
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by bullit »

Thanks for the response guys.

I already have a high lift jack, and have played around with it in different situations.
Im glad most of you aren't keen on them. Can save some cash and packing space.
rigardt
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: 2012 DC Hilux D4D
Club VHF Licence: HC348

Post by rigardt »

are you going up to kubu island on your own or in a group ?
bullit
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by bullit »

Going up on our own. :shock2:
Dadz Toy
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 95 Series Prado - Diesel Dog
Club VHF Licence: HC 286

Post by Dadz Toy »

I agree 100's with Thys.
Deflate properly and stay in others tracks and you'll get there no prob, with or without irredescent strips of plastic on the back nê.

Rich :cooldude:
Rich :cooldude:
rigardt
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: 2012 DC Hilux D4D
Club VHF Licence: HC348

Post by rigardt »

bullit wrote:Going up on our own. :shock2:
going on your own ......
well then I would get some tracks.
the bright orange ones !
they might be big and bulky and take some space but they are light and weigh basically nothing - still very strong !
rather have them and don't need them than need them and don't have them - that's what I always say !
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Different strokes for different folks
In sand, if you get stuck, you dont need tracks, you need to deflate your tyres more. Jacks the vehicle up and put stuff under the wheels to create traction.
And the day when you are stuck somewhere in the middle of the kalahari in dry season and you cannot find stuff to put under the wheel you will kick yourself for not carting around a set of tracks.

Personally it is much easier to jack up the vehicle, throw a track and the wheel and get on with it instead of running around a 200 meter radius around the vehicle, damaging plants just to get stuff to put under the wheels.

Space is normally an issue.
You can also have a look at
http://www.4x4direct.co.za/recovery-gea ... racks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I still use my fibre glass tracks which Thys refers to. Put them on the roof of my canopy where they are out of the way. They are excellent door steps in front of the tent, nice to stand on when you shower and you can even build a bench with amo boxes when you get visitors and do not have enough chairs. So if you do not use them for recovery , they are still useful.

Myself and Murphy, we always are in competition to outsmart each other. I always take tools with so that the car won't break and I take tracks with so that I do not get stuck.

The one tool which I only used twice in 12 years since I bought it is my high lift jack.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

O and another thing. Kubu is not that far off the beaten track. You will encounter other vehicles passing you on a daily basis, if not more often. And more often than not these vehicles will be equipped with bright orange pieces of plastic on the sides. :twisted: :twisted:

I would much rather invest in a satellite phone to let my back-up support team at home know where I am stuck and get them to send somebody who owns orange planks to come and assist... :twisted: :twisted: You can also get a local BW sim card, cell phone reception is much more readily available there than here in SA. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Dowe Koos
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

rather have them and don't need them than need them and don't have them
Baie goed gesê Rigardt
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

pietpetoors wrote:Different strokes for different folks

Myself and Murphy, we always are in competition to outsmart each other. I always take tools with so that the car won't break and I take tracks with so that I do not get stuck.

Piet that friend of yours ..... that Murphy ....

when I went through the effort of fitting a second spare to Elders I got a lot of advise ... most saying that Namibia is well travelled, spares available yada yada ....

I have had a total of three punctures in all the travels we did - TWO in one single incident !!! :shock2:

Without that second spare I would litterally have been stuck up not a creeck but a dry river river bed !!!!!!

When traveling solo you better weigh up your options and make your choices .. and pray the ever present Murphy is not in a nasty mood .....
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: '16 Legend 45 DC 4x4M

Post by mushroom »

Ryan, I bought some cheepo tracks for our solo trip - never needed them. What time of year are you going? Im off up to Moremi first two weeks Aug, if its not over that time you are more than welcome to borrow them, I see you are in JHB..

Let me know - we did Kubu solo in Sept and again in Oct, never needed them - was glad for the snorkel I had put on for the tons of powder dust around though

Let me know
Q20 if its stuck, duct tape if it moves :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:
bullit
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by bullit »

Thanks for all the comments guys. Appreciated.

Thanks Mushroom. We are up there early August.
I was given some of those sand tracks that are made from rubber pieces. Just never used them as I thought they were crap.
Maybe il take those.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Whatever tracks you take, drill a hole in each track to attach a cord (like washing line cord) if there is not already a place to attach it. Keep two lengths of this cord handy (or permanently fastened to the tracks). If you need to use the tracks, tie the other end to the bumper while being careful to keep the cords from getting snagged by the wheels. This way you don't have to stop to recover the tracks while still possibly being on suspect footing. Once clear of the 'obstacle' you can stop and untie / store the tracks. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Have a set of tracks from Piet.
They are fastened under the rocksliders between the wheels, where they are out of the way, maybe not in the best position when you need them, but they are there.
Will be doing the Hoarusib 4WD Trail Solo in ten days time and those tracks may be my only eacape out of a difficult situation. Can also assist in clambering over/between rocks.
I would prefer not to use them, but will be glad to have them if I need them.
Have strongly been advised against doing this route Solo by those who have done it.
Will have to access the situation when I get there.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Haboob wrote:Have a set of tracks from Piet.
They are fastened under the rocksliders between the wheels, where they are out of the way, maybe not in the best position when you need them, but they are there.
Will be doing the Hoarusib 4WD Trail Solo in ten days time and those tracks may be my only eacape out of a difficult situation. Can also assist in clambering over/between rocks.
I would prefer not to use them, but will be glad to have them if I need them.
Have strongly been advised against doing this route Solo by those who have done it.
Will have to access the situation when I get there.
I see a nice trip report coming :) :thumbup:

Return to “Recovery Equipment”