Navara 6 spd box in IFS Lexus conversion.

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux - Lexus V8

Navara 6 spd box in IFS Lexus conversion.

Post by GRWLR ZN »

Good day all,
I have a late 1998 (IFS) Hilux Raider D/C raised body with 1UZ (non VVti) Lexus.

Has anybody tried to fit a 6 speed navara gearbox with transfer case into this bakkie with the Lexus motor?
If so, please share some helpful hints WRT:

1. Do you need to change the flywheel (currently runing the original 5 speed manual box [5l])?
2. How much modification required to mountings and likes?
3. What are the pros, cons.?

Any pics (if any) would be appreciated.
Any and all advice also...
Thanks a mill.
:mrgreen:
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: Navara 6 spd box in IFS Lexus conversion.

Post by pietpetoors »

Haven't done it, but am curious, why a Navara box?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by GRWLR ZN »

I would say mainly for the sixth gear,
It's more like an overdrive than another gear.(my humble opinion) :surrender: 1 to 4 are reasonable enough for offroading, 5th is surprisingly short and then 6th just seems to carry on forever.
One of my buddies and my dad drive Navara, another buddy the Pathfinder and the traits on the gearboxes seem the same- decent down low and a lekker top gear for the open road.

I have looked at (and seriously considered) changing diff ratios and maybe even going to 33" tyres.
However my rear axle is the import type, so no real options there unless i replace complete axle, and then of course the front diff must be done. The ratio currently is 4.8:1, which i like for offroad, as i almost idle out of sticky situations in low range with the Lexus motor.

Also i have a standard locker on the rear plus the ABS speed sensors to have to sort out if i should change out the axle.

Another option is a complete KZ drive train. A decent second hand setup would probably work out the same as a Navara box with transfer and electronics for selecting 4by and low range.

Either options would take some labour,which is fine, that i do myself.

If no one has tried this setup yet.... well there's always a first time for everything they say. :cooldude:
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

First thing to check is, is the Navara transfer case's output shafts on the correct side? Is it on the same side as the Hilux's ?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I would first consider going with the 33's and see how much the open road performance is improved - you will have to do some suspension mods though (mostly front) or a body lift to accommodate the 33's, but the bigger wheels will enhance the off-road capabilities a bit as well.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by GRWLR ZN »

Good morning,
I have gone and done some more digging on the weekend.
The navara 6th is basically the same ratio as my hilux 5th (0.82 vs 0.85) So, no use to even bother unless i do complete drive train.... too much headache... an the purist i me also did not like the idea of some pic-a-mix setup either.. :naah:

I actually haven't even gotten as far as to see if the transfer case would be on the right side to be honest.

What i did come across however, through a friend who got info from a guy in Cape Town, is that you do in fact get crown wheel and pinion kits for import type axles. I am just waiting for confirmation that i can actually get one for my model and then I'm set. There are front and rear kits available on ebay (4.3:1).

I am definitely going to change out to 33" tyres when new tyres are due.

Ask anyone that knows me, when i fettle i do it properly, if i can find a way to improve something (even if it does take some work) i will do it. I am a bit of a perfectionist and like my vehichles to run right. If a mod is done i like it to be "as if from factory"
The wife roles her eyes whenever i start talking about a "small" idea that i have.... :D:

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”