Madman EGT

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Madman EGT

Post by Dingo »

I see on the Other Forum, there's often talk about the fitment of the Madman EGT monitor.

Yes I know that most of it is related to LRs, but was just wondering if the EGT monitoring is required / needed on the Toyota D4D engines??
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Re: Madman EGT

Post by JohanW »

Dingo, I'm hoping to finally get time end Dec to fit a probe to my D4d. Will give feedback when its done. The D4d is covered in sensors which the ecu uses to keep it in the "safe" zone. But with the addition of a chip you could potentially move pretty far away from that safe zone. And since the D4d is getting pretty 'old' these days a lot of people are chipping them and pushing the boundaries.

EGT to me is simply a right foot gauge. It tells you when you need to make that lead foot a little lighter to prevent unpleasantness.
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Post by Dingo »

Partly the reason for the post, my D4D has the Dastek 5 map chip on it.

on 2 of the maps it says that:
one says - you can tow heavy load at full throttle for a long time ( 10% extra power)
the other says - maximum power (25% extra), but also says - do not tow on the highway in this mode.

Now my thinking is that you may need this extra power when towing a trailer/caravan in sand, but would obviously need to then monitor the exhaust temperatures then.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Exactly right.

Return to “The Workshop”