Replacing my Tyres

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
jafman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Karachi
Vehicle: HILUX RAIDER HERITAGE EDITION 2011 V6 4.0

Replacing my Tyres

Post by jafman »

Dear All,

Been a while since i last posted.

Just wanted your considered opinions on the replacement tyres I'm considering.

Currently running 2012 year BF Goodrich A/T which have served me well. But they are now hard as rock and the grip is going. To the extent I'm afraid of gunning the engine on turns and on loose dirt and on light puddles.

The truck loses traction almost immediately.

I realize i should be runnin street tyres on my commute since the truck rarely goes off the road but i like the square-ish look of A/Ts and i think the Hilux will be poorer for a choice of grippy road tyres.

So I'm looking at A/T versions from Yokohama, Dunlop and Coopers.

The one my trusted tyre guy is recommending are Coopers Discoverer AT/3. But compared to the BFGs I use currently, the Coopers don't look as aggressive.

I find that the look of my Hilux is significantly different from most others on the road because of the BFG's tread and design. But finding new BFGs in my area is difficult.

Any views on whether the Coopers are good tyres? Or whether I should look more closely at the Yokohama Geolandar ATS G012 or the Dunlop Grandtrek AT3?

Thanks and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Replacing my Tyres

Post by Mud Dog »

I've run Cooper ST's and found them to be a pretty good all-rounder. The tread is not overly aggressive and does fairly well on asphalt.

I currently have Yoko Geolander AT-S on my Rav ..... dunno how they would perform in the rough (the Rav is after all a SUV and not a puckker off-roader) but on asphalt they grip very well, wet or dry (like the proverbial " sh!t to a blanket"). Pricing is also favourable and although the expected mileage may not be as high as the Coopers, of the two they would be my first choice for a daily runner.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi

When I went shopping for tyres I went with the Dunlop Grandtek 3 AT.
I had Bridgestone duelers on and only needed to replace 2 tyres.The Dunlop had the same tread pattern as the bridgstone and the Dunlop was a lot cheaper. I have done about 20 000km so far and are very happy with them.
Good bang for your buck.
But I do think the Coopers are better if you have the budget :thumbup:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Post by Rigger »

I recently asked the same question about tires. Although I replaced mine with BFG KO2, many forum members suggested General Grabbers. The Yokohama Geolander is also not a bad tire IMHO
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5

Post by lukestoyzx »

I'm running hankook rubber at the moment. Where I am the only guys who run coopers are the giys who will wear them out in under two years otherwise they go hard as f! And get dangerous! If I was goin at's I'd go with the bf's, great all-rounder.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
jafman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jafman »

I would have gone for the BFs but I couldn't source them locally.

So I went with the Coopers. I'll update when I've run them for a bit.

Early impressions are handling has improved and ride is softer but I guess that would be the case regardless since the old ones were hard as rock.

Cost for 4 tyres including fitting and balancing was USD 850 here in Pakistan.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Cool. Sounds like a fair price. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
jafman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jafman »

Just thought i'd give you guys an update on the Coopers:

Tyres are performing well. Decent grip on metalled roads. Good traction in beach sand and mud/dirt.

Does let go of the rear-end when the roads are wet and/or if there is a thin layer of dirt/sand on the road.

Kryptonite is the light sludge on the road just after it starts raining. The dirt and rain combine to make it extra slippery and that is the time to be very careful.

I examined the tyres yesterday and there is no sign of wear after three-and-a-half months of daily driving.

I like the comfort that the tyres have added. Its a much softer ride than before and I enjoy it more.
Farmerbrown
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Mooi River KZN
Vehicle: 96 SFA D/C 4x4 2.4

Post by Farmerbrown »

I have got a set of Hankook dyna pro A/T . It is a nice looking tyre . Serves me well on the tar . And have got the traction for dirt and light off roading .
enjoy your coopers .
2.4 1996 SFA D/C
2.5 2015 hardbody 4x4 S/C
2013 Everest 4x2
2.5 2012 AWD Kuga(SOLD)
yz250 2 stroke
tw 200 farm bike
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Had a set of coopers for the better part of 7 years, I replaced them with Velocity's; same pattern as the older General Grabbers and only R1600 each. Figured if they only last 2 years the so be it....still better than replacing an expensive tyre 2/3 years down the line with plenty tread left.
Good all rounders; not as noisy on tar and more than capable on sand , gravel rocks and the like, good value for money.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”