Oil catch can and second fuel filter information

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoorsdorp
Vehicle: Silver Hilux DC 2.8 GD-6 2016

Oil catch can and second fuel filter information

Post by coetzer94 »

Hi I followed some Aussie forums recently and its interesting to see the difference in how they kit their rigs. One thing that I don't fully understand is the fitment of oil catch cans, and second fuel filters, and if they are so adamant on fitting them, why are we in South Africa with more or less the same driving conditions not doing the same?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working on my bucket list only makes it longer
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5

Re: Oil catch can and second fuel filter information

Post by lukestoyzx »

Hey man I'm in AUS, the catch can removes the oil thats in the gases coming from the breather. All this oil if left unchecked builds up in the intercooler and also gets into the intake. The stuff in the intake is the biggest problem as it mixes with the soot from the egr and creates a horrible black sticky mess that blocks up the whole systems! Its also best to restrict the egr to get rid of some of the soot. A second fuel filter is a must if intend on getting any decent life out of injectors, especially with the fuel quality in parts of out country. Anything else?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoorsdorp
Vehicle: Silver Hilux DC 2.8 GD-6 2016

Post by coetzer94 »

Thanks for the info, I should probably start thinking of getting a catch can and second filter. I wonder why the guys in RSA seems not to concerned with these mods as they are rather serious improvements?

Does anybody know of companies in RSA selling such units?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working on my bucket list only makes it longer
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by lukestoyzx »

Ebay is your friend my friend! Two best ones. Provent 200 from western filters. And a company called hdp make a nice one but its expensive, looks pretty tho if ya into that kind of thing. In my opinion the provent 200 is the better unit as it filters better around 99.8% of the oil from the breather gas and it has relief values to bypass pressure if the filter get blocked.

JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Post by JohanW »

I did a pcv vent to air after cleaning out the mess from inside my intercooler and intake manifold. A catch can is a better idea since I need to wipe a small area on my bash plate every now and then.

The guys in Aus seem much more open and eager to modify and change stuff on their engines than we do over here.
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by lukestoyzx »

Yeah we're not scared to have a play! There is a mob now doing a full egr delete so we can get rid of that soot altogether! There has been no need to fully remove it until now, some guys r having egr coolers fail which allows coolant into the intake (not cool!) Some r only getting a small leak which can cause an intermittent miss at idle and others fail completely and can flood the engine! The delete kit removes the cooler completely.

Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I have just replaced my injectors at 280 000 ks on my 3.0 D4D and am going to fit this filter as a secondary filter i.e. after the Toyota unit. I'm fitting the 2 micron filter. http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/ ... SL0144.pdf

When I replaced my injectors only one was already out of spec but I decided to do all of them as one needs to remove the tappet cover and replace the seals on the injector leakage return rail. The 280 000 ks was done with only the Standard Toyota diesel filter but I replaced the filters every 20 000 ks and did not wait for the filter light to come on. It was roughly a 50/50 combination of 50 and 500 ppm diesel. Perhaps slightly more 50 ppm after 100 000 ks but almost exclusively 500 ppm the first 100 000 ks.
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

AS far as a catch can is concerned The best way to do it is to block the feed of the breather into the inlet manifold completely and to run the breather pipe to a separate container which you would drain occasionally. If the engine is healthy there is a very small quantity of oil which will collect there (in the form of oil vapour which condenses when it drops in the catch can). The container needs to be able to breathe as you do not want pressure to build up inside the engine block. I am also considering a catch can but do not want to feed the gas back into the system at all. I made a similar setup in a turbo charged Porsche Spyder replica that I built and it works really well. i.e. similar to JohanW's setup but still catching the vapour in a can which can be drained at each service. I do not want oil droplets on the floor of my Garage.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Couple of guys in the North of SA, that have bakkies that go accross the border weekly, they fit second fuel filters.

Working into SADC countries you better take extra measures if you want your diesel to survive.
Dadz Toy
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 95 Series Prado - Diesel Dog
Club VHF Licence: HC 286

Post by Dadz Toy »

Mr_B built a catch can on his 4Y EFi, he used a power steering reservoir to store which fed back into the block. Worked a treat!
We have LP and HP filters on the EFi units to make sure only the cleanest fuel goes through the injectors.
Rich :cooldude:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

You can also go to your nearest refrigeration parts store such as KOVCO or AC&R and buy an "oil trap".

Input line for the breather pipe

Output line to feed the air back to the manifold

bottom output point to drain oil.
ash007
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Lakeside
Vehicle: 2013 Toyota Hilux Dakar 3.0D4D D/C 4x4

Post by ash007 »

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... p?t=117625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my SM-G360H using Tapatalk
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by lukestoyzx »

Biggest thing you need to worry about is the flow of the catch can. The provent unit is specifically designed for diesel engines. Also a simple inlet and outlet with a baffle or maze isn't good enough, it need some kind of filter or you wasting your time.

Michael82
Town: JHB
Vehicle: 2015 Fortuner D4D

Post by Michael82 »

Hi all, as per the OP, I have also been following a number of Aussie 4WD and 9/10, they all stipulate a secondary diesel filter and an oil catch. Has anyone done this to a D4D yet as I am very keen to have this done. There has been plenty discussion around these points as as mentioned, we aren't to different to Aus I many aspects regarding our beloved vehicles, so why don't we take this seriously?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michael82

Post by Michael82 »

A question I do have around this topic though, wouldn't a secondary fuel/diesel filter add more strain to the diesel/fuel pump?

lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by lukestoyzx »

We take it very seriously here in aus! Secondary fuel filter is a must for us or anyone living in or traveling to remote areas. Any modern common rail diesel that runs an egr will greatly benefit from a catch can and having the egr blocked off or disconnected.

Michael82

Post by Michael82 »

lukestoyzx wrote:We take it very seriously here in aus! Secondary fuel filter is a must for us or anyone living in or traveling to remote areas. Any modern common rail diesel that runs an egr will greatly benefit from a catch can and having the egr blocked off or disconnected.

Thanks Luke,

Do you have any diagrams or info to share on how I can have this done here in SA? Typical parts I would need and if you familiar with the D4D, that would be great!

lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by lukestoyzx »

Sign up to newhilux.net we have an endless supply of info on there including instructions on the above mods.

Michael82

Post by Michael82 »

lukestoyzx wrote:Sign up to newhilux.net we have an endless supply of info on there including instructions on the above mods.

Perfect, thank you!

Frontier 320
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Isuzu KB320

Post by Frontier 320 »

Michael82 wrote:A question I do have around this topic though, wouldn't a secondary fuel/diesel filter add more strain to the diesel/fuel pump?

No not really, as long as the extra filter is before the oem one then you fine. If it starts restricting the diesel filter light will come on the dash.

Frontier 320
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Isuzu KB320

Post by Frontier 320 »

Michael82 wrote:
lukestoyzx wrote:We take it very seriously here in aus! Secondary fuel filter is a must for us or anyone living in or traveling to remote areas. Any modern common rail diesel that runs an egr will greatly benefit from a catch can and having the egr blocked off or disconnected.

Thanks Luke,

Do you have any diagrams or info to share on how I can have this done here in SA? Typical parts I would need and if you familiar with the D4D, that would be great!

I'm also looking into this, I like the provent product. But it's very pricy for us and lots of copies on the net.

I'm in krugersdorp soon, I'm going to go past GangR racing and see if they have a baffled catch can. If they do I'm going to see if they have a small K&N breather filter that can fit into the catch can. If this is possible and set up correctly it will give us a cheaper version as the Provent. But for around R600.

If your system is clean and the catch can works. We can let the egr run and do its thing.

Michael82

Post by Michael82 »

Frontier 320 wrote:
Michael82 wrote:A question I do have around this topic though, wouldn't a secondary fuel/diesel filter add more strain to the diesel/fuel pump?

No not really, as long as the extra filter is before the oem one then you fine. If it starts restricting the diesel filter light will come on the dash.

Awesome, thanks for the tip, will check it out!

Return to “The Workshop”