Gearbox & Transfer Box Breathers

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bethal MP
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8 4x4 AT extended cab.
Club VHF Licence: X84

Gearbox & Transfer Box Breathers

Post by Rollercoaster639 »

I just had to pay R4500.00 for a recon transfer box for the Suzuki due to water / mud getting in from the breather. So I am now fitting the diff breathers to my Hilux. My question is where is the Hilux IFS 2009-2011 breathers on the gearbox and transfer box and does one also have to extended the breathers as for the diff breathers or is this not required because they are already high enough or there is no breathers on them.

If this has already been explained just point me to the link please. I done a search but only found the post about the diff breathers. Thanks
Last edited by Rollercoaster639 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Gearbox & Transfer Box Breathers

Post by Mud Dog »

Barry, the issue has come up briefly in discussion before but never really explored properly here yet. AFAIK the SFA doesn't have any breathers on the x-fer and gear boxes ... I've never found any, and suspect that expansion / contraction gasses are vented through the lever orifices. I've looked at perhaps drilling / tapping & fitting a nipple on the upper filler plugs but they're too low and will get fouled by the oil .... so not a good option. I also don't like the idea of drilling into the side of the boxes ... metal shaving falling into the boxes!

This might be an excellent opportunity to hear from others who are more knowledgeable in this area if it's viable, possible and what they may have done. :think:

Let's hear! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Andy thanks for the reply so far. I just thought that seen as I was doing the diff breathers I would do them as well.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

I also wanted to do them at the same time I did the diffs, but couldn't find any breathers on the boxes. It is a point of concern because the gearbox can get quite hot and if submerged during a crossing it's going to take in either water or air through the seals / lever portals, whichever is there at the time ... Of course I would prefer it to be air.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Barry my D4D 2005 has gearbox breathers, as far as I can see. They can be seen sorta close to your fuel filter :thumbup:
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

I speak under correction, but I thought somebody told me there are breathers on the gearbox and t/fer case. Never saw it myself. But the gearbox and t/fer case are already high enough from the ground, doubt that water will find they way up there.
Sent from my iPhone
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Rebel 4x4 wrote:I speak under correction, but I thought somebody told me there are breathers on the gearbox and t/fer case. Never saw it myself. But the gearbox and t/fer case are already high enough from the ground, doubt that water will find they way up there.
To the best of my knowledge (on the SFA anyway), the boxes have no place to 'breathe' other than the lever portals. It's true that those sit relatively high up in the floor tunnel, so one would have to do a fairly decent water crossing before those areas were submerged, but I don't believe that such a situation is entirely uncommon. Water finds it's level very quickly and it's way into every nook and cranny.

Although I advocate the avoidance of unnecessary mud and water play, it sometimes is necessary. For those odd occasions it would be better to be prepared, especially in over-landing instances where one is far away from the opportunity to replace the box oils if they become contaminated ... meaning that the distances to be travelled with contaminated box oils is more likely to result in some level of damage.

I would certainly feel a lot more at ease with the knowledge that I was prepared, .... and in the event of having to perform such a crossing, that I didn't have to 'rush' it in order to minimise possible water ingress, which in turn could result in safer crossings with less probability of getting into trouble. ;-)

Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Mud Dog wrote:
Rebel 4x4 wrote:I speak under correction, but I thought somebody told me there are breathers on the gearbox and t/fer case. Never saw it myself. But the gearbox and t/fer case are already high enough from the ground, doubt that water will find they way up there.
To the best of my knowledge (on the SFA anyway), the boxes have no place to 'breathe' other than the lever portals. It's true that those sit relatively high up in the floor tunnel, so one would have to do a fairly decent water crossing before those areas were submerged, but I don't believe that such a situation is entirely uncommon. Water finds it's level very quickly and it's way into every nook and cranny.

Although I advocate the avoidance of unnecessary mud and water play, it sometimes is necessary. For those odd occasions it would be better to be prepared, especially in over-landing instances where one is far away from the opportunity to replace the box oils if they become contaminated ... meaning that the distances to be travelled with contaminated box oils is more likely to result in some level of damage.

I would certainly feel a lot more at ease with the knowledge that I was prepared, .... and in the event of having to perform such a crossing, that I didn't have to 'rush' it in order to minimise possible water ingress, which in turn could result in safer crossings with less probability of getting into trouble. ;-)
You are actually right Oom Andy, on our recent trip to the Baviaans we had to do a water crossing, water (prob. a half a cup) came through the gear lever into the cab. Doors were nice sealed. I did change every single oil on the lux 3 days later, just incase water came in somehow...
Attachments
Deep%20Water%201.JPG
Deep%20Water%202.JPG
Sent from my iPhone
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

OOOOMS wrote:Barry my D4D 2005 has gearbox breathers, as far as I can see. They can be seen sorta close to your fuel filter :thumbup:
Mark are you saying that they have already been extended and are located near the fuel filters...(sorry if this is a dof question) or are you saying that if you look past your fuel filters toward the gearbox that you can see them.
Michael82
Town: JHB
Vehicle: 2015 Fortuner D4D

Post by Michael82 »

Hi guys, just a revival of this thread to see if anyone has done breather extensions on a D4D of late? I have a Fortuner and I am keen to have all the breathers extended into the engine bay. Does anyone know where I could source kits or exactly what parts are required so I can have this done? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

You can use 1/8" BSP threaded fittings, either fuel or pneumatic types. The former a lot cheaper. I've used the quick fit pneumatic fittings on the diffs with button silencers in the engine bay.
From what I remember the IFS has gearbox breathers but very difficult to get to; not sure about the Vigo shape.

I bought everything from Pneumax in Pta; I think they have a branch in Jhb as well.
Michael82
Town: JHB
Vehicle: 2015 Fortuner D4D

Post by Michael82 »

Stef wrote:You can use 1/8" BSP threaded fittings, either fuel or pneumatic types. The former a lot cheaper. I've used the quick fit pneumatic fittings on the diffs with button silencers in the engine bay.
From what I remember the IFS has gearbox breathers but very difficult to get to; not sure about the Vigo shape.

I bought everything from Pneumax in Pta; I think they have a branch in Jhb as well.
Thanks Stef,

Really appreciate the help but I may need a little more! I'm very challenged mechanically and not very experienced, but I would like to change this. Do you have a little more info or diagrams to share so I can locate and do these mods? I have a good idea of what I need to carry the job out but need to have a picture in mind to know what I need to do.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Return to “The Workshop”