Replacement fuel sending unit '87 4Y SFA

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Sietse
Town: Oslo
Vehicle: '87 Hilux SFA 4Y

Replacement fuel sending unit '87 4Y SFA

Post by Sietse »

Hi! Been lurking here ever since I got my first Hilux, but I feel like it's time for a first post finally. :thumbup:

I'm a Dutchie living in Norway with a beautiful '87 SFA xcab with a 4y (YN67L-MDCW). When I got it the fuel sending unit was broken beyond repair, and in the heat of the moment it's been replaced with a fuel sending unit of a different model car that seemed to fit. Now it turns out it's leaking all over the place, I'd like to get it replaced with a genuine part. Problem is, which part fits my yota? Is it 83320-39466? or maybe 83320-39645? A different one? Also, for the future, where do I find information like this? Hope somebody can shed some light on this. Thanks! :D:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Replacement fuel sending unit '87 4Y SFA

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Buskerud! :thumbup:

I replaced mine less than a year ago, the agents here still had a replacement unit and it wasn't expensive. Try the local agents in your area, they should be able to tell you the correct part number and they may just have one in stock or could check with other dealers if they still have. The thing is that you have to get something with the same resistance values, or the gauge won't read correctly. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Hi Sietse,

If I look on the Toyodiy site for your model, it shows part number 83320-39485

Have a look here and search

https://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_1987_ ... l?hl=83320
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Sietse

Post by Sietse »

Thanks a lot guys. I decided to go by the dealer and they ordered me a part for about 1600 rand. It'll be there sometime next week, if it doesn't fit they'll send it back without charge. :thumbup: It's the same part # as the one you found Sifu-Lux so I have high hopes. I guess I'll keep this thread up to date and introduce myself properly after lunch. :D:
Sietse

Post by Sietse »

Ok, that took a while :D: I got tired of going back and forth with non-fitting parts and just had it in at the dealership to get it fixed. Turns out they were part numbers 77203-35361 and 83320-80120, it looks to be all fine for now. :thumbup: In other news, she passed the mandatory vehicle inspection in Norway with 0 problems! needless to say I'm a happy camper. :celebrate:
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Excellent, good news!
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Glad to hear that all is now good, :thumbup: but I am a little surprised at the cost of the replacement sender. As I mentioned in the post above, I replaced mine almost a year ago and paid R 830 at the local dealer. Your cost conversion to rands is almost double that. :blink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”