What Is The Cost To Rebuild 22R 2.4 Petrol?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

What Is The Cost To Rebuild 22R 2.4 Petrol?

Post by pampoen »

Hi guys,

So I am looking at sorting the old girl out mechanically. Looking at all the engine options out there I am wondering what it would cost to rebuild a 22r these days? Anyone have an Idea?

Thanks in advance.
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: What Is The Cost To Rebuild 22R 2.4 Petrol?

Post by Mars »

I see no-one has responded yet. I don't know either but considering the fact that it is such a common engine used in so many vehicles it should be easy to get spares and the costs should be very reasonable. The only question remaining is how much engineering will be required i.e. hone or bore cylinders, skim head, replace valve seats etc.

Another point based on experience is if you are going to do it then do it properly. Replace all wear items such as the oil pump, water pump, all bearings, thermostat, pistons rings (and over size pistons obviously if required to bore) and do the cylinder head.
A complete engine rebuild on my Mom's Opel Monza which included having to replace the cam box (second hand) and cylinder head bolts) and a new clutch cost about R15k just over a year ago.
Baasvark
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

Speak to Family Dog, I think he replaced his motor with a Fong Kong import.

Might be cheaper.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Baasvark wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:00 am Speak to Family Dog, I think he replaced his motor with a Fong Kong import.

Might be cheaper.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk
That was Eric's 4Y shane, not a 22R. I think Marius' estimation is fair at 15 to 18K.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

P.S. My 22R is now heading close to 300,000km and no problems - compression still good, no mechanical motor noises (timing chain was replaced at about 200,000), so if you don't need to open it, leave it. With regular services and some TLC you should get 600k out of that motor if not more. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria Montana
Vehicle: 2.4 SFA
Club VHF Licence: HC115

Post by Bliksempie »

Mud Dog wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:12 am P.S. My 22R is now heading close to 300,000km and no problems - compression still good, no mechanical motor noises (timing chain was replaced at about 200,000), so if you don't need to open it, leave it. With regular services and some TLC you should get 600k out of that motor if not more. :winkx:
Good news Andy, as mine just reached 165k. The only irritating noise at this stage is the Timing Chain, but will eventually attend to that.
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Rather sooner than later, Robbie. The 22R is an interference motor - that means if the cam stops rotating / cam itself snaps / or if the chain jumps teeth on the sprocket and the valve timing goes out, then the valves will interfere with the pistons and there will be damage. The good news is that chains and cams don't just snap but the bad news is that a loose chain can jump teeth if it's really loose or stretched - the other thing is that it will rub up against the housing inside and wear through on the water pump.

So don't leave it too long and change the tensioner at the same time. You should also notice a slight improvement in performance if the old chain was stretched. :winkx:

Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria Montana
Vehicle: 2.4 SFA
Club VHF Licence: HC115

Post by Bliksempie »

Mud Dog wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:28 pm Rather sooner than later, Robbie. The 22R is an interference motor - that means if the cam stops rotating / cam itself snaps / or if the chain jumps teeth on the sprocket and the valve timing goes out, then the valves will interfere with the pistons and there will be damage. The good news is that chains and cams don't just snap but the bad news is that a loose chain can jump teeth if it's really loose or stretched - the other thing is that it will rub up against the housing inside and wear through on the water pump.

So don't leave it too long and change the tensioner at the same time. You should also notice a slight improvement in performance if the old chain was stretched. :winkx:
Copied that, thanks
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

I thought it might be that, I absolutely agree with you on the doing it properly thing. I am starting to worry as I did a service about 2 months back when I had the carb issues and checked oil the other day to find it almost empty. Topped it up and went to cape town city from Gordons Bay and back, total 250km, checked oil the next day and it had fallen one third of the way. So I think it is using a tad more then what I was expecting. I am quite interested in posibly going fongkong 2.2. Anyone have an idea on pricing for these bad boys? Also is it a straight bolt on to bellhousing? I am taking it into my mech next week, so will get his estimations on things.
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Wow, that's serious oil consumption! I do jhb and back (2000 km plus round trip) and don't even user a full pint.

Is there an obvious oil leak? Oil on the floor Landy style? Or oil in the coolant?

Return to “The Workshop”