4y rebuild oil question

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: '89 Hilux DC

4y rebuild oil question

Post by Sven »

Just rebuilt my 4y and have the oil pump getting to the oil filter but not seeing it get to the rockers after idling for 2 minutes, so out of fear of breaking something I stopped running the motor. How long should I be letting it run before it gets to the rockers? The oil pressure light goes off on the dash
'89 hilux D/C SFA, import spec.4YImageImageImage
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: 4y rebuild oil question

Post by The Legend »

On my 4y it takes about 5 to 10 seconds after I start the engine before lifters stop making any noise
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Did you replace the lifters? OEM? Is there perhaps not a blockage in the oil gallery somewhere?

If the rockers themselves are getting oil (messy, but you can check by running at idle with the tappet cover off), then you're not likely to cause any damage. Some vehicles chatter on the lifters for quite a while before quieting down but 2 mins is actually quite long.

Was this on first start up? Maybe the lifters haven't "filled" yet. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sven »

Ok so it was the very first start up, I decided to wait it out and run to see what happens 🙈, it's the Chevy lifters that I bought new. Ended up taking about 5 minutes to eventually go quiet. Felt like a make or break situation
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Cool! What happens with the first start in the morning?

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Normally if there is sufficient oil pressure for the light on the dash to go wrong you should be ok. Unless an oil channel is blocked.
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sven »

Ok so I started driving the vehicle and the tappets started getting noisy again and there is not much oil coming through the rockers , I'm wondering, I went for chev lifters for chev 350, is there possibly a wrong chev lifter to buy? The shape and size was roughly the same
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Sven the lifters size should not be roughly the same.It must be 100% the same. The high revving chev lifters I used part nr is HYT04-04.I bought mine from Masterparts in Kenilworth Tel 021 657 5757.Compare your partnr with mine to see if you have got the same ones.

Did you check that all the pushrods seats properly on the rockers?

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sven »

So the lifters I got from alert engine parts was Mahle clevite 213-1638, the guy said it's for the chev 350 hydraulic lifters. I contacted masterparts to see if they have stock of the HYT04-04, if they do I will just get them as I think this is my problem. I guess not all lifters are equal. Ha ha.

One question, do I need to replace the head gasket if I only ran the motor for 20 minutes?
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Why do you want to take of the head? You can remove the lifters without removing the head

Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sven »

Didn't think about it to be honest, replaced them when I rebuilt the motor so havnt explored the idea of removing them through the valve cover but I guess it makes sense
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

You could have a little problem taking them out with the head still on, and that would be if the gasket is protruding around the sleeve edge somewhere (can happen with some pirate gaskets). One would have to carefully cut away any protrusions if there are. :winkx:

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Sven you will have to remove the rocker shaft. A strong magnet works very well to remove the lifters or a piece of wire with the a hook bend at the end.

Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sven »

Awesome, thank you.
can i ask, i should probably just replace the pushrods aswell while I'm at it.
do you just get the standard 4y pushrods?

Sven
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Yip they are all standard,but if they are not bend why do you want to replace them?Just make sure that they are clean before you put them back. Blow through every one and make sure that there is no obstructions inside.

Bleed your new lifters before installing them.

Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sven »

So i received the HYT04-04's yesterday, went ahead and installed them, primed them with the whole leaving it in oil overnight option, started the vehicle up and ran it for 30 minutes but the tappet noise just doesn't want to go away. Now there are 2 things i never really did myself. 1 was that i sent the Cylinder head to Johannesburg, they cut the valves and seat and replaced 4 valves, They didn't replace the springs. the other thing was that i had the guys who resleeved the block to install the cam bearings, I'm assuming they did it properly. then lastly i bought a brand new oil pump but the pickup was a short stubby one that would pickup from the front of the sump so i installed the old pickup(long rear sump) onto the new pump. anyone think the above could have anything to do with it?
Also running SAE40 oil, could it just be to thick?

Return to “The Workshop”