First Time Welder Purchaser - Advice Needed!

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Tim86
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:25 pm

Hi All

I have a little problem:/
The attachment 2IMG_20180226_201631.jpg is no longer available
2IMG_20180226_201631.jpg
2IMG_20180226_201631.jpg (12.84 KiB) Viewed 295 times
Hence I need the correct welding appliance for such a repair. There are a number of posts addressing welding but the numerous terms (often for the same thing) confuse me and I need to ensure I fork out the not inconsiderable sum for the right thing.

I have self taught experience in welding with a very old stick/arc welder to the point of welding dropped drag links and just managing to stitch together exhaust pipe etc. I am looking at purchasing a cheap (3-4k max) MIG welder and initially running it with flux core to save on gas. I will eventually aim to use it with gas and to weld aluminium & stainless steel but the immediate aim is thin bodywork - am I on the right track?

Additionally, is flux core suitable for bodywork and is flux core available for aluminium and stainless?

Many Thanks!

niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 87 DC 2.8D

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:23 am

Rather go to an body shop. Welding thin body panels generally requires TIG welding, which is expensive and takes a lot of practice
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies"

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:02 pm

+1 :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Dowe Koos
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:10 pm

Or get a Oxy-acytelene set. Can't believe how thin plate can be welded with it.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:35 pm

Dowe Koos wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:10 pm
Or get a Oxy-acytelene set. Can't believe how thin plate can be welded with it.
At over R8K for a 2nd hand PortaPack (small unit) I don't think the cost can be justified unless it's going to be used for business. Same applies to a TIG / MIG welder IMO. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Oudtshoorn
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:36 pm

Buy a Miller TIG welder. Only R63000 on Afrox’ website....

niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 87 DC 2.8D

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:07 am

Yes, 63k, pocket change!

Seriously though, cheap with welding means SMAW (stick/arc) and you really can't weld thin plate with it. So you're either in for a large investment in time and money learning to TIG or outsourcing it.
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies"

Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3lt D4D DC 4X4

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:38 am

The whole idea with both MIG and TIG welding is that there is an inert gas protecting the weld from contamination by oxygen. So the flux core on the MIG welder is somewhat of a compromise although I am not in a position to comment on the real world application thereof as I do not know. Perhaps someone else will have used it and can comment.

The problem with something like TIG welding which is probably the best welding solution for the job you want to do is that the TIG welding machines are expensive and just like anything else in life you get what you paid for it. Then there is the ongoing cost of the inert gas and the rental on the cylinder that you are already clearly aware of. If you are only going to do it once or occasionally then it will not be worth your while to buy the whole setup. If you are going to be using it frequently on other jobs then it becomes more of an option. If you only want to weld up the cab then you are much better off financially to have it done professionally.

There are cheap TIG welders that cost in the same ball park as the cheap MIG welders but I have no experience with them. If you were in a position to choose between the two then the MIG welder is in my opinion the best solution.

Dowe Koos
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:59 am

At Adendorf you can get a mig for 8000 and a tig ac/dc for 12000.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.

Dowe Koos
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:05 am

In Silverton close to the corner of Pretoriaweg and Dykorweg, is a big shop (can't remember the name) they sell tig ac/dc for 10000. Think is better quality than the one at Adendorf.

Dowe Koos
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:57 am

Cosmo Industrial is the name

TOYOTA 4YEFI
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Land Cruisr 80

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:36 pm

Dont you flux core you will be dissapointed

Return to “The Workshop”

• Information