Brakes shudder or does not release while parking/ maneuvering

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Fugax
Town: LANGEBAAN
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux GD6 2.8

Brakes shudder or does not release while parking/ maneuvering

Post by Fugax »

Hi. I am new to the forum.
My Hilux 2016 2.8 GD6 DC AUTO 86000 km SHUDDERS/ LOCKS/ DOES NOT RELEASE BRAKES wile maneuvering into garage or parking spot.
Agent is suggesting skimming of discs as first step ( tested at 120 kph). Note: There is no wobble of front wheels at any stage/speed.
I live on the West Coast 800 metres from the waters edge.
Have done some High RANGE 4x4 mud terrain and beach driving (NAM).
I am planning a caravan trip within a week and feel uneasy to proceed.
An expert opinion will be much appreciated.
Thank you
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Brakes shudder or does not release while parking/ maneuvering

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi and welcome. If your brakes are binding, first thing is to check out which wheel/s are getting hot, if any. Walk around the vehicle after a short drive and feel all the hubs for heat.

If none of them are getting hot then it's more likely to be the rear and could be related to the parking brake mechanism or if the rear are hot it could just be the ratchet adjustment having taken up too much slack. Another possibility is the shoes themselves are binding. (There's a thread here on setting up rear drum brakes, just do a search).

If the front or all are getting hot, then it's probably a booster problem. Usually the front are hotter because the front calipers provide a lot more braking friction than the rear drums. if it's just the front, this can sometimes happen when fitting new pads but I doubt that's the case here unless you have recently replaced the pads, but you make no mention of that so to my mind it's then more likely to be that the booster is the culprit by allowing the vacuum on the other side of the diaphragm inside to apply brakes even though your foot is not on the brake pedal. Next time when it''s actually binding, preferably on a slight incline, where the vehicle remains braked while it should start rolling, then turn off the motor and see if it starts rolling after a few seconds. If not then depress the brake pedal a few times so as to help relieve the vacuum negative pressure .... it may take as many as five or six pedal pumps. If it still doesn't start rolling then it's not likely to be the booster but don't rule it out altogether.

Hope you come right.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Fugax
Town: LANGEBAAN
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux GD6 2.8

Post by Fugax »

Brilliant answer. I went to my nextdoor neighbour. (Merc and Landie mechanical expert. Tested drum temp. Right rear. Adjusted little ratchet "weel". All is well. Appreciate your thorough suggestion and description. 11/10
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Glad to hear that you got it sorted. :thumbup:

Just keep it in mind should you start experiencing similar symptoms again. If it has happened once, it can happen again .... especially if there is excessive wear or damage on any of the brake mechanism components in the drum. It may however just be an isolated incident where the automatic adjustment has prematurely advanced to the next click of the ratchet wheel. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”