2003 Hilux 4x4 front driveshaft CV joint repair kit.

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

2003 Hilux 4x4 front driveshaft CV joint repair kit.

Post by JAMES399 »

The front driveshaft ( the one between the transfer case and the front differential) in my '03 Hilux 4x4 clunks like crazy when the truck is in 4wd. I removed it, and the 3 ujoints in it are toast. I took it to my mechanic and he said the entire driveshaft must be replaced. Tried other mechanics and got the same response. Here's what the shaft looks like:
CVshaft.png
The cv joint is in the "H" yoke. It consists of a ball and a rod separated by a spring. The spring in my truck is broken off. Buying a complete new driveshaft costs over $700 dollars, and I've not found one available anywhere. I have a set of replacement u-joints. Do you guys know of a replacement CV joint kit ?? Or ... should I just install the new u-joints and go for it?? I seldom use 4wd. Only to get through deep mud or up steep hills. Never over 5 mph.

Opinions ???

James
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Re: 2003 Hilux 4x4 front driveshaft CV joint repair kit.

Post by niclemaitre »

Didn't you ask this exact question the other day?

Anyway, you can replace the U-joints, I just had it done on my front prop, from the same era IFS Hilux, where they replaced all three U-joints.
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

Re: 2003 Hilux 4x4 front driveshaft CV joint repair kit.

Post by JAMES399 »

niclemaitre wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:37 am Didn't you ask this exact question the other day?

Anyway, you can replace the U-joints, I just had it done on my front prop, from the same era IFS Hilux, where they replaced all three U-joints.
Maybe I did. Lo Siento. I posted it on several sites. I guess I lost track.

UPDATE:
I purchased the three replacement U-joints, and used my shop press to install them. I found that the spring that holds the ball for the CV joint under pressure had fractured, and this was causing the clunking noise.I looked through my parts drawers, and found a suitable replacement spring.Then, I drilled a small hole in the side of the CV joint, tapped it, and installed a zerk fitting. Pumped the CV joint full of a light silicone grease. Now the front driveshaft is as good as new ... Well almost anyway. The clunking noise is gone, and the driveline binding that was there when the truck was in 4wd has disappeared. Total cost for parts $390 mil Colombian Pesos (about $100 USD). A far cry from the $700 USD+ that the mechanics wanted.

- JAMES

BTW, Senor NICLEMAITRE -
Thanks for your reply and help. - J.

Return to “The Workshop”