New member with some 4y questions

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Dcon
Town: Worcester
Vehicle: 1986 van

New member with some 4y questions

Post by Dcon »

Hello and thanks for having me.
I have a 1986 Toyota van (us version of the hi ace or lite ace) with the 4y efi motor.
Well, I’d like to update and restore this van as I love it! And I’m trying to find out if a forklift 4y motor will work? What’s different/interchangeable?
It’s easy to get a complete rebuilt forklift motor and fairly cheap. It very hard to find a “van” motor, and I can’t seem to find any information between the two.
In the US, the 4y is only in the van. And the forklift.
If I can change the timing cover and run a forklift motor in the van, I’d be golden!
Hope I posted in the right place and thanks for the sight! I’m jealous of all the hilux!!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: New member with some 4y questions

Post by pietpetoors »

I cannot find any info either that there is a difference in the physical engine. I think it will only be the bolt on accessories that will differ but the sub should be the same. If you already have a running motor you can just swop all your bolt ons with the forklift engine like, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold (maybe) , alternator might be on other side, etc, etc, etc.

OHV eight-valve
Displacement: 2.2 L (2,237 cc)
Bore and stroke: 91 mm × 86 mm (3.58 in × 3.39 in)

This engine was available either carburetted (4Y) or fuel injected (4Y-E, called the GW491Q/LJ491Q and also 4G22B for Chinese manufacture). As fitted to a 1989 Daihatsu Delta truck, the carburetted 4Y produces 70 kW (95 PS; 94 hp) at 4400 rpm (SAE net)[5] and 18.6 kg⋅m (182 N⋅m; 135 lbf⋅ft) at 3000 rpm.[6]

Applications

1987.09 - 1995.12 Toyota Crown (YS132, overseas specifications)
Toyota Van (Town Ace overseas specification, Tarago in Australia)
Hiace third generation (overseas specification)
1979-1988 Toyota Stout (YK110)[citation needed]
Daihatsu Delta
1993-1995 Daihatsu Rocky F95
Toyota Industries forklifts
Toyota 4Runner (Australia)
Volkswagen Taro
1985–1997 Toyota Hilux fourth and fifth generation
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

4Y engines are generally replaceable with no problem except for the Sump cover. This being the case, simply use your existing sump cover on the new engine, you will note that the "humps" are in two different places.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The sub assemblies should be the same and most likely the head as well. Things to watch out for are:

• as Eric said, the sumps can be different which would mean that the oil pick-ups would also differ, but those are usually straight forward swaps with your existing motor ... just make sure that the sump bolt holes are in the same positions. They should be, but it's most likely going to be a generic motor by a Chinese or Korean manufacturer, so one never knows for sure.

• engine mounts. Mount points on the block should be the same, so if the new ones differ, just swap them out for the old ones if the
they're still good, otherwise replace with new that are intended for your vehicle.

• Peripheral positions might be different, but the use of the old mounting brackets should sort that out.

• Then the manifolds may differ as well .... if they cant be used, the old ones are not always a straight forward swap and might require some tweaking.

Otherwise I think its very do-able. Good luck with the project.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Dcon
Town: Worcester
Vehicle: 1986 van

Post by Dcon »

Thanks all for the reassurance!
I figured there may be some massive diference internally? So I was/am skeptical. But I can get a rebuilt long block for 1350us and that’s quite cheap! Thought maybe a pto off the crank for a hydraulic pump or something!
It amazing how little information there is out there! That’s how I found this site!
I’m gonna pull the trigger and order one up.
Thank you all for the reassurance!!
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

Those engines (the blocks) at least are still in production so you can maybe even source a new one. There are fleets of minibuses in South Africa that use them still so we can buy them new. Depending on how much you want to spend, and how long you are prepared to wait, you might find that a South African reseller might ship you one.
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"

Return to “The Workshop”