Electronic ignition for 3Y

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
quickie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Hilux 85'

Electronic ignition for 3Y

Post by quickie »

Hi Guys,
I'd like to upgrade my 3y's ignition to a electronic ignition / Distributor unit. Anyone got any advice one which units are best? Or who makes units for the 3Y other then MSDI
or something similar to this http://www.ecvv.com/product/vp663501/IG ... 2Y-3Y.html
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Re: Electronic ignition for 3Y

Post by Hoppy »

That is not a std SA spec toyota unit, you can find a secondhand or aftermarket unit for under R1000.00 at a breakers yard or importer, it is well worth it.
It has a built in coil and comes with HT leads, if you can't find one. contact me on 0721291160, i'm in Brackenfell.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Just to add to Hoppy's info its the same integrated dizzy that is also used on the 2Y and 4Y
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilex
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by Toybox »

I'm pretty sure i've got one for you... An original Toy one...

PM if you're interested....
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Jisseee Jonathan... you really are a Toy Box! You don't perhaps have a 7MGE lying around for me?? :think:

B :D:
quickie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by quickie »

Thanks for all the replies, I wasn't aware that the 4Y unit fitted the 3Y. If having a coil inside the Ignition unit, does this mean that i could keep the manual ignition items coil etc... inplace bar obviously what is in the distributor unit and keep this as a backup, if the electronic unit fails.

I'm having new rings fitted to my 3Y, so I figured I would upgrade this at the same time. Anyone got any other Ideas on items I should perrhaps upgrade without replacing my 3Y unit. After 330000km's Cylinder 2 is leaking a little :cry:

Once the Engine has been done, I will contact you guys with more info on the unit, Naturally if there is a Toyota Unit I would prefer original Toyota :roll:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Sean,

You can keep the original coil/ignition wiring in place, but it would probably look messy! Rather get the elec ignition... give Mike's Place(www.mikesplace.co.za, 021 534 0070, engine importers in Epping) a call, they may have some... and put the original coil and points/condenser dizzi in your spares kit. I have always had a electronic dizzi in my lux and have never had an issue... the Toy ones are very reliable... please don't buy the Ching Chong ones from Commercial!

B
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilex
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by Toybox »

Sean,

I second Snipes's comment. I'm certain the Toyota elec dizzy is prob more reliable than the original points dizzy!

Bretton,

Unfortunately no 7m lying around BUT i do have a spare 4Y, a water pump, engine mountings and a starter lying around :wth:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Ok Jonathan,

Got an idea, put the 4Y back in, and give me the Lexus, you save so much fuel! :wink: You can have my EFi'd 4Y as a bonus too! :think:

Ok geesh... can't blame me for trying... :silent:

B
quickie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by quickie »

snipes wrote:Hi Sean,

You can keep the original coil/ignition wiring in place, but it would probably look messy! Rather get the elec ignition... give Mike's Place(http://www.mikesplace.co.za, 021 534 0070, engine importers in Epping) a call, they may have some... and put the original coil and points/condenser dizzi in your spares kit. I have always had a electronic dizzi in my lux and have never had an issue... the Toy ones are very reliable... please don't buy the Ching Chong ones from Commercial!

B
I wouldn't even consider putting a Ching chong unit in my car, which is why I was looking it the units available in Oz. I would rather buy an Ozzy product if I couldn't get a Toyota one, but thanks to you guys, I know now what to look out for...

Any other recommendations to replace while I'm busy. Currently my car is 100% original, so I don't take to changing easily, Ignition makes sense as does an overhaul of the carb as one of the seals are leaking after I cleaned it, proves one shouldn't clean it.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

snipes wrote:Hi Sean,

the Toy ones are very reliable... please don't buy the Ching Chong ones from Commercial!

B
Word is that the Electronic Dizzy's from Commercial are same as Mike's (they supply each other with engine parts) :shock:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Richard,

Most of the OEM ones have a 3Y stamp under the base. If you compare a pirate one with the Toy one, the differences are clearly visible! I am not saying that Mike's will definitely have the OEM ones, just that they are a good starting point when looking for a OEM one!

Bretton
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Well Jonathan already said he has an OE one so why worry looking further, buy his.

The mayor advantage of the coil in cap set-ups is no coil wire running back to the dizzy so water splashed onto the engine is much less likely to kill it. If your coil wire gets wet your engine stalls if one or two plug wires get wet, the engine will run rough for a while until heat dries it out again.

I agree no need to keep the old coil in place it will look very untidy, rather throw it in your spares box and after a few years when you realise the integrated one will last as long as the engine you can throw it away when you clean out your spares box from clutter

BTW you guys that have these dizzies (not locked EFi ones) if you remove the rotor there is a rubber grommet, you must lift it out and pour a drop of oil in there once in a blue moon to lubricate the shaft below on which the advance and retard rotates. Remember to re insert the rubber grommet afterwards.
quickie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by quickie »

OK, Guys, Long time no reply, I finally got some time and Money, and got a electronic ignition unit for the 3Y. This is more of a pre-emtive question because I haven't look at the Engine yet, I know the 3y Dizzy only has a single vacuum tube and the 4Y Dizzy I just got has a double vacuum tube tube. The unit I got looks like this

Image,

my point Ignition I know only has the one vacuum tube connection. So how does one connect it up correctly? I have looked at the image on this thread viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1124 and will have look in the three Manuals I have at home. Does one have to change the connection to a single hose? I have a long weekend to make the Change, the bakkie is Going in on Wednesday to have the engined tuned.

Just a few points to note, it's got the Manual choke, no power steering, nothing Fancy just the engine and nothing else feeding of the power. The Other question is if It can't be fitted then I take it then I need to get a Single Vacuum Unit OEM number 19030-72080? or can I just source the single vacuum tube part, and replace the double vacuum tube?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Sean I may have a single vac diaphragm housing for you, I stripped my elec dissi(not used since I EFi'd my engine) and used the base as an oil pump primer when I rebuilt my engine... PM your cell... I'll take a look in the morning and give you a call, I'm pretty sure it's lying in my spares box... and I'm down the road from you

As far as I know the double vac pipe dissi's were for the air con'd hilux's...

B :wink:
quickie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by quickie »

Thanks for the Part, I really appreciate it. The Hilux is going in Wednesday morning for Tuning

Next question is the 3Y has a point ignition, so I can just theoretically take the one wire from the Coil, the Tacho (black) and the the other the Red from the Ignition. These are the two that get plugged into the plug... correct? is there anything I should be aware of when putting in the electronic Dizzy?

Return to “The Workshop”