Hilux 3.0 D4D gearbox problems

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
meerkat
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D DC

Hilux 3.0 D4D gearbox problems

Post by meerkat »

Does anybody know of or heard of gearbox problems on the Hilux 3.0 D4D, where the symptoms are a whining on 1st, 3rd and 5th, and when downshifting if becomes more apparent?
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Re: Hilux 3.0 D4D gearbox problems

Post by Scorpion »

Charl, welcome to the forum and congrats on your first post. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as we do! :thumbup:

To answer your question, I haven't heard of anything, but give us more detail - kms, etc. I have a 4.0 V6, but have a few friends that drive D4-D's, so it would be interesting to know.
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
meerkat
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D DC

Post by meerkat »

Thanks to the welcome, I appreciate it. Herewith some info, as posted by myself on the Landcruiser Club of Sa Forum:

It is a 2006 Model, 4X4, with 76 k on the clock. Toyota came back to me, and the following has happend(I am not technical at all, so here it is how I understood it.): It is the back cluster bearing that collapsed, and in the process 1st, 3rd and 5th gears got damaged. These gears and the bearing must now be replaced, and luckily for me, Toyota has indicated they have spares available in the country. They also claim that the gearbox spec's have a 60% saftey margin, thus 120kw+60% = 192 kw. Some replies received on the LCCSA forum,is that the gearbox is not matched for the engine, i.e. too weak to handle the engine power - any ideas/opinions from anybody on this? Does anybody know's which model nr gearbox is fitted to the 2006 Hilux?

The long and short of it, I have a concern about the rubbish gearbox fitted to the new Hilux's, it should be able to last longer than 76k. It is a 2006 model, so luckily still in warranty. Furthermore, Toyota also indicated, and I don't know if this is a concern, but with the so called service plan, they don't replace gearbox oil at all, as with the previous models, it was done as a standard service item every 40000 km.
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Jeez! :shock: 76k is nothing... I have to say this is news to me. Haven't heard complaints before, but I thought your kms was maybe much higher. Like I said I have a few friends with D4-D's all in that region of kms and no-one has complained so far. Luckily we have service plans! Good luck!
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
Boertjie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: Hilux D-4D DC
Club VHF Licence: W61

Post by Boertjie »

Ek het ook die nuwe hilux voor die face lift ek het nou 97000 op maar nog nie bollie met die ratkas nie .. die booster het wel gegroet op 30 000 .

Return to “The Workshop”