Advice on a diff lock for a SFA Hilux

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Pype
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4

Advice on a diff lock for a SFA Hilux

Post by Pype »

I need some insight here my friend bought himself a 1995 SFA Hilux and wants to put diff locks in first the back and then the front later on, now my question is what is the best ? He does use the bakkie on the road as well

My opinion is Gearmax at the back and ARB in front I would like to get some advice, prices, pros, cons on the different lockers out there

Gearmax
ARB
Lockright
Detroit

:?:
If you what to see what a Hilux can do click below :cool: :thumbup: :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m_cUKPjRAU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Advice on a diff lock for a SFA Hilux

Post by CasKru »

Man dit hang af van of hy 'n local of imported diff het agter. As dit local is, is Gearmax probably the beste en ARB nie 'n opsie nie. Op die import diff kan hy ARB sit maar nie Gearmax nie.

Voor sou ek ook ARB sit maar ARB is duurder as jou ander opsie maar ek dink dit is jou enigste "selectable" opsie
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

to the best of my knowledge, what Cas is saying is correct. However I've heard it mentioned that all front diffs are local. but my SFA has imports front and back. AFAIK the ratios are the same on standard import and standard local. The Import diff makes use of a 'third member', that is the diff is not accessible in it's housing. The third member diff comes out as a complete unit from the driveshaft side. The easy way to recognise te difference between them is that the local has a bolt on cover over the back of the diff, whereas on the import this cover is permanently welded in place.
Another option for the import is the Eezi-Locker, but I'm not sure I would recommend it .... AFAIK it's non-selectable and kicks in of it's own, not the best option. It might also be worth considering a LSD (limited slip diff) .... non selectable, but permanently there and does'nt interfere with the feel / dynamic of the vehicle, although not as effective as a locker. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

It depends on the application.

I bought Mufasa with a Detriot/Lockrite in the front. Problems - oversteering sometimes on trails and you can't drive in 4H on dirt roads (exceeding speeds of 40 km/h)

Advantages - it is immediately engaged.

I spoke to Barrie Drenth (member here, associated with Ultimate 4x4 in Silverton). He said ARBs are the way to go for competions, where you want the difflock to engage immediately. If you can tolerate the difflock engaging in a couple of metres, Ultimate 4x4 can fit the original Toyota difflock for around R8500 (almost half the price of one ARB and the compressor).
Pype
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Pype »

CasKru wrote:Man dit hang af van of hy 'n local of imported diff het agter. As dit local is, is Gearmax probably the beste en ARB nie 'n opsie nie. Op die import diff kan hy ARB sit maar nie Gearmax nie.

Voor sou ek ook ARB sit maar ARB is duurder as jou ander opsie maar ek dink dit is jou enigste "selectable" opsie
Cassie hy het die local diff agter en ek stem saam Gearmax is vir my die beste maar hy bly hammer op ditriot. Ek like nie ditriod nie omdat dit automatic is :thumbdown: Dus die rede vir die threat om meer inligting the kry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m_cUKPjRAU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Detroit lockers are excellent quality, and perhaps that's why he is on about them, but so are ARB. You might need to explain the advantages of a slectable locker to him. :think:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

What scares my brooks off about non selectable, they kick in sometimes on the tar (wet roads) when you don't expect it and suddenly it kicks in on a corner when you have a bit of spin .... can throw tou off ballance ( and off course). :wth:

Pype
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Pype »

Mud Dog wrote:Detroit lockers are excellent quality, and perhaps that's why he is on about them, but so are ARB. You might need to explain the advantages of a slectable locker to him. :think:
I did but I think price is the issue here I told him I will get the forum members input on this subject then he can make his own choice. I say go for selectable lockers in my experience it is the best and is controllable but would like more info on the automatic one so he can decide for himself.

Pype
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Pype »

Mud Dog wrote:What scares my brooks off about non selectable, they kick in sometimes on the tar (wet roads) when you don't expect it and suddenly it kicks in on a corner when you have a bit of spin .... can throw tou off ballance ( and off course). :wth:
True

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Vat hom vir 'n drive somewhere (grondpad) met jou diff permanent gelock. Probeer drie punt draaie en kort draaie en wys vir hom die nadeel van 'n locker wat permanent ge-engage is. Met 'n selectable weet jy presies wanneer hy jou steering gaan belemmer en wanneer nie.

Dit hang ook af waarvoor hy die voertuig die meeste voor wil gebruik. As hy op los sand gaan ry gan permanente lockers eers lol.
To God be the glory
Groblehh
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: '99 Toyota Prado VX 3.4L V6

Post by Groblehh »

http://www.aussielocker.com/works.php/T ... 7cb5/.html

Op die website het hulle n baie goeie verduideliking van hoe die outomatiese lockers werk.

Die Kontak persoon is Mike Swann 0825694183 of 0118031838
Hy is die "Sole importer" van Aussielocker en kan ook enige ander lockers teen billike pryse kry.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

I have ARB lockers fitted front and back and am very happy with them.

I fitted them before i did the OME suspension conversion, and with the better articulation
I would say do the suspension first, then back locker, then if you really want a front locker
fit one. I find I only use the front locker 5% of the time offroad in some very tricky places.

ARB is expensive, but in my opinion a superb piece of engineering and worth the money.

I like to have control over when the locker engages, so would never fit an autolocker.
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
blom
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Landrovia
Vehicle: xj jeep & SERIES 3 & Isuzu KB 300 Dtec DC

Post by blom »

:wth:
ARB selectable locker
one off the strongest units out there (housing) 4 spider gears R10 000 will see it working
unit replaces complete centre portion

Lockrite auto locker aka lunchbox
die ding het nie maniere nie maar is cheap R3000 will see it working
installs in a jiffy (replace just the spidergears and cross pin)
I have a few broken ones in the garage !!!

detroit auto locker aka lunchbox see the above

detroit no spin
this ladies and gents is wat you are missing in all the locker conversation on the forum
auto locker with the manners off a school girl
replaces the complete sentre portion
strong as a ox
5 to 6 grand

to come back to pype
1 ARB is the ultimate
2 Detroit no spin in the rear lockrite front !!!!(bang for bucks)
Grensvegter van LANDROVIA

Return to “The Workshop”