CrzyEng
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: KZTE

DIY Roof Console

Post by CrzyEng »

Hi Guys

I'm looking at building my own roof console to house two radios in the distant future.

Considered various materials and fibreglass seems to be best option for complex profile.

I would appreciate if you could share your experiences / attempts at building a console.

Thanks
Donovan
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: DIY Roof Console

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Hi Donovan

There's a very guys here that have built them; some successfully some turned out to be a nuisance as they didn't get the design right or tried to store too much in them :roll:

I don't have one but have driven a Lux with one and have umm'd and arrr'd about making one ever since. The roof console in question was made out of a timber framework with thin plywood cladding which is incredibly maleable and it looked very effective. :P

The characteristics I'd want in a roof console would be:

1. Map lights - having a directable overhead light is invaluable nê
2. sunglasses holder - loved and seriously miss the one I had in my Hyundai Sonata
3. Radio Mount - I can't seem to find a place in the cab where my radio isn't in the way or getting klapped

I'm battling to find a photo, I have one somewhere - I'll post when I find it :wink:
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

This might give you an idea or two.
gonna look into doing this myself.

I borrowed these from this site - http://www.reedx.net/landrover/mods/roo ... /index.htm

ImageImage
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:I don't have one but have driven a Lux with one and have umm'd and arrr'd about making one ever since. The roof console in question was made out of a timber framework with thin plywood cladding which is incredibly maleable and it looked very effective. :P
Richard, if you are talking about Wessel's roof console, it was originally mine built according to my design. It was built using 9mm plywood and clad in 3mm plywood and housed my 29meg radio.

In the front it was attached with the rear-view mirror screws and at the rear it was attached using the screws from the cabin light. I used it in an unfinished state (uncovered) for about a month and decided to throw it out, as the dangling mic-wires was in my way and I was not completely satisfied with it. I threw it out and Wessel took it over and finished it off. If I remember correctly he didnt make any changes to the basic design. As it was not a "worth-while" fixture in my Hilux i never took any pics of it. It is easy to design and make a roof console and 9mm plywoord is strong and sturdy enough to withstand life's little 4x4 knocks. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Kaspaas wrote:
Dadz Toy BFI wrote:I don't have one but have driven a Lux with one and have umm'd and arrr'd about making one ever since. The roof console in question was made out of a timber framework with thin plywood cladding which is incredibly maleable and it looked very effective. :P
Richard, if you are talking about Wessel's roof console, it was originally mine built according to my design. It was built using 9mm plywood and clad in 3mm plywood and housed my 29meg radio.

In the front it was attached with the rear-view mirror screws and at the rear it was attached using the screws from the cabin light. I used it in an unfinished state (uncovered) for about a month and decided to throw it out, as the dangling mic-wires was in my way and I was not completely satisfied with it. I threw it out and Wessel took it over and finished it off. If I remember correctly he didnt make any changes to the basic design. As it was not a "worth-while" fixture in my Hilux i never took any pics of it. It is easy to design and make a roof console and 9mm plywoord is strong and sturdy enough to withstand life's little 4x4 knocks. :thumbup: :thumbup:
yep, I was talking about the very same one, I was impressed with the proportions and rigidity (not just a pretty face then Thysy) - I've got some nice photos of it somewhere - it looked quite professional with vynl covering enol :thumbup:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I have my moments, thanks Richard. Photos will be welcome. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
CrzyEng
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: KZTE

Post by CrzyEng »

Thanks for the help guys.

I'll be looking at the plywood option or buying the pre-made mould that the boat building school does.

Donovan
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Kaspaas wrote:I have my moments, thanks Richard. Photos will be welcome. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Remembered.............

Since this vehicle is on my doorstep and back on the market, here's the pic

(changed a bit since it was in Kaspaas though me thinks - met DvD Screen nogal :o: )
Attachments
Wessels Roof Console - 2.7 Conversion.jpg
(21.59 KiB) Downloaded 2874 times

Return to “Build your own:”