Smaller camps in Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park

Planning a trip or you need information about trails in your area.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Smaller camps in Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park

Post by Niel »

Some pics of the smaller kamps.
Kalahari Tented Camp
Kalahari Tented Camp
NB: This camp is NOT fenced and a Tourism Supervisor is on duty at all times.

Situated high up on a red sand dune, overlooking a waterhole in the dry bed of the ancient Auob River, the Kalahari Tent Camp welcomes you to capture the spirit of the land of thirst. This exclusive getaway for the discerning visitor, boasts 15 desert tents each elegantly decorated with rustic finishes using wood, sand and canvas exteriors al in the resonate colours of the park. The tent camp is 3 km from the Mata-Mata Rest Camp where Kalahari Tent Camp residents can refuel and get basic supplies at the shop. The camp is designed in such a way that residents feel they have only themselves and the desert for company.

Visitors to Kalahari Tent Camp should please note the following:

NB. The camp and access road are strictly for the use of residents only!
Visitors must supply their own firewood or charcoal
Visitors must supply their own drinking water
No fuel and no shop, closest facilities at Mata-Mata
Attachments
Kalgadie 207 (Large).jpg
Kalgadie 206 (Large).jpg
Kalgadie 201 (Large).jpg
Kalgadie 192 (Large).jpg
Kalgadie 193 (Large).jpg
Kalgadie 196 (Large).jpg
Niel

Re: Smaller camps in Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park

Post by Niel »

Urikaruus Wilderness Camp pics

Guests have to provide their own drinking water and firewood.

Situated 72 km (two hours) drive away from Twee Rivieren on the road to Mata Mata between the veil of old camelthorn trees, overlooks the Auob River. The closest shop and fuel supply is at Twee Rivieren, where guests who have booked Urikaruus also checks in. The camp is unfenced, and there is a tourism assistant on duty. The camp has 4 x Riverside Cabins built on stilts and connected by a plank way. Urikaruus is accessible by passenger vehicles.

Each unit has 2 single beds, a bathroom with w/c and shower, an equipped kitchen with gas fridge / freezer, solar power for lights, gas for hot water and braai facilities on a deck.
Attachments
Kalgadie 350 (Large).jpg
Kalgadie 349 (Large).jpg
Niel

Post by Niel »

New accomodation being build at Mata Mata
Attachments
Kalgadie 245 (Large).jpg
Joshua
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 KZ-TE 4x4

Post by Joshua »

Great pics and thorough write-up Niel. Have you ever visited the Mabuasehube area on the Botswana side ?
Niel

Post by Niel »

Joshua wrote:thorough write-up Niel.
I will come clean :oops: , it was easier to just copy the write-up from SANPARKS :oops: . I will give my comments later on the accommodation and the trip :thumbup:
Joshua wrote:Have you ever visited the Mabuasehube area on the Botswana side
Unfortunately not yet. If my boss says yes we are off to Central Kalahari, Delta, Caprivi and Kaokoveld (and maybe Kaudom) next year or parts of it .

If you have visited please publish some info :thumbup:

I did drive on roads that had these funny red things with a rectangular white line in the middle :shifty:

Some pics of the picnic spot (approx 35 km from Twee Rivieren) and very small museum :thumbup:
Attachments
Kalgadie 053 (Large).jpg
Kalgadie 056 (Large) (2).jpg
Joshua
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 KZ-TE 4x4

Post by Joshua »

Niel wrote: If my boss says yes we are off to Central Kalahari, Delta, Caprivi and Kaokoveld (and maybe Kaudom) next year or parts of it .
That will be a very nice trip ! How long will you be gone for ?
Niel wrote: If you have visited please publish some info :thumbup:
Last year in October it was my 10th wedding anniversary, and my 50th birthday, so I had the majority vote, and I choose for me and Swambo to go to Kgalagadi. I specifically wanted to do as much 4x4ing as we could, but being fairly new to 4x4 (about 1 year), I was a bit wary, so we started by doing the 4x4 ECO Route on the South African side, from Tweerivieren to the other side of Nossob through the wild countryside, which was a good choice, as you get to go offroad for 4 days with a ranger. It was my first driving experience in the Kalahari dunes, and it expanded my sand driving experience.
Then we went over to the Botswana side on the Mabuasehube trail, and stayed on the Botswana side for 5 nights on various camping sites, all on the 4x4 trails. We then returned to civilisation (the south african side) again, and passed Nossob, and stayed over at Mata Mata, before returning home. It was an awesome experience, something I will never forget.

I love the great outdoors, I am not really one for the luxuries of a chalet or camp. On the South African side of the Kgalagadi, you stay in fenced camps with adequote ranger protection, shops, fuel, ablution facilities etc. However, on the Botswana side, you are alone with your group, no rangers, you must be totally self-sufficient, your camping facilities consists of an A-frame for shade, a longdrop, and a shower with cold water, and that is luxury. Other camp sites are bare. Fences are non-existent, fellow travelers are few. Luxuries are what you bring with. But the great open spaces, being part of nature, the zillions of stars, are just awesome. At night you get into your RTT and you stay there untill dawn, listening to the hyenas, jackals and lions, in the morning you check the campsite to see who visited you at night. :thumbup: It was the most wonderful experience of my life, and I can't wait to get back there again.

Here are some pics :
kgalagadi 363.jpg
kgalagadi 484.jpg
kgalagadi 1637.jpg
kgalagadi 2082.jpg
Kgalagadi.jpg
Kgalagadi.jpg (52.83 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
PS : Note the Lion tracks in the above pic.
0000DS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: Tuna, 4X4, Longrange Fuel tank, BF's AT, Intergrated bumber, Roofrack, Awning, Air suspension,winch

Post by 0000DS »

Been to Kaudum in 2007. Will look for the phodies and post them. Lots of Ellies though. :lol:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

There are only two entrances to the camp North via Kaprivi strip or from the South.
Kaudum Reserve is approx. 3800sq/km, with little to no fascilities. Only water available, firewood was free.
Friendly staff, who seldom see visitors, sometimes no one for 3 months, we were told.

There are 2 camps: No booking required as there are very few visitors
Quite a lot of thick sand 2/3rd low range!
Attachments
IMGP3286 (Small).JPG
IMGP3284 (Small).JPG
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

And more sand...but beautiful!

There is not a lot of wildlife as they migrate over to Botswana where there is more water available, however we saw heards of ellies 200+
Attachments
IMGP3294 (Small).JPG
IMGP3304 (Small).JPG
IMGP3303 (Small).JPG
IMGP3291 (Custom).JPG
IMGP3289 (Small).JPG
IMGP3287 (Small).JPG

Return to “Places to go”