What to buy next?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

What to buy next?

Post by BenHur »

I will most propably replace the Pajero with another V6 Auto SUV for under R250 000

1. Buy another Pajero - downside it will cost me at least R 30 000's or more on aftermarket accesories to get the new one to be the same as the old one (ARB Sahara Bar, Front Runner LR Tank, National Luna Duel Battery system, Takla bin liner, IronMan suspension) else it will feel like a downgrade. The upside is that the Pajero is hude inside for as oukie like me that is a serious factor in choosing a vehicle as I am 2meters tall -135 kgs.

2. 4l V6 Fortuner. Good side its a toyota, downside is that it only comes in beige interior , I prefer black leather and it would most propably need an OME right away to sort out the handling. Donnu how big the Fortuner is inside.

3. 4l V6 Prado, downside also they are mostly beidge inmside and I do not like to be assosiated with the LC snobs. Upside there are currently better value for money Prado's out there then Fortuners in the second hand market

4. Nissan Patrol 4.8 - Standard a real 4x4 without much mods needed, is large enough inside but very big outside, but I have no idea what the fuel consumption on this one would be?

Come guys I need some serious input here, I know most people will say go for the toy but I tell you my paj was just as relaible and trustworthy in the last 85000kms (bought her on 100 000) I had her I only had to fix a cracked exhaust manifold which I had welded up at no charge and crank end cam seals on the front of the car which started leaking after a submarine session through a river, it was actaully only the one cam seal that leaked but since I had to remove the cam belt to get there I sommer did all 3, other the that just normal servicing.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Re: What to buy next?

Post by BenHur »

Or suggest any other SUV I have not thought of maybe X3 :? :crazy: :shock: or an X5 :D :D Or Ewald I would be glad to do a 1 year road test on a Cheyanne for your magazine :wink:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

How bad is the old vehicle .... many times it's just written off because the estimated repair comes too close to the book value of the vehicle. You would have first refusal to buy it back from the insurers and you could get it back for a song (under R20k). Then have it repaired or rebuilt into a good used body .... that way you will have all your accessories back and still maybe have change in your pocket from the insurers pay-out. Downside would be that you would loose a little resale value because of it being a re-build and of course you would have to manage without the vehicle for the duration of the repair. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

My mate from White River has the exact same problem as you, 'lengh'. :thumbup: I think a good shrink can sort you out :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, he is 6'9 or so I am guessing and found the Subaru forester (the station wagon) very suitable and comfy. He also drive's a Prado.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

OOOOMS wrote:My mate from White River has the exact same problem as you, 'lengh'. :thumbup: I think a good shrink can sort you out :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, he is 6'9 or so I am guessing and found the Subaru forester (the station wagon) very suitable and comfy. He also drive's a Prado.
Ek dink jy jok... jy het nie vriende nie :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
To God be the glory
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Ek het een gehad.....en nou nie meer nie :wave: :wave: :wave:
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Land Cruiser 200 V8 petrol....

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Now's your chance Bennie.....buy the Diesel, just to convice yourself! :lol:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

OOOOMS wrote:Ek het een gehad.....en nou nie meer nie :wave: :wave: :wave:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
To God be the glory
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

Ek kan vir jou 'n kwai deal gee op 'n nuwe SUBARU FORESTER :thumbup: . Gebruikte Foresters is ongelukkig skaarser as hoendertande. :cry:

Jy kan my kontak by tiaan.smith@barloworldmotor.com
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
MORNE
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Isuzu E/cab 3.0 D-tec

Post by MORNE »

My keuse sal tussen die Prado en Patrol wees.Die plus punt is altwee is volledig ingevoer so maw. geen local content nie , en is altwee baie goed offroad. Die patrol se petrol verbruik is die selfde as n 4.5 efi Cruizer --- 4.5 km/l. My broer in Centurion kry 7.6 km/l op sy Prado.
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Bennie, verhoog jou budget na so R280 000, dan koop jy n Prado en kry klaar. Ek het een met swart interior, hulle is nie so skaars soos jy dink nie, die beige interior is skaarser. Ek het lank en hard na Prado's gesoek voor ek gekoop het.
ImageImage
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Of koop 4 Interceptors...

:think:
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

A V32 will be a little thirsty I think.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

A Disco1 - keep you busy at the weekends ;-)

(Prado saam as oom Eric's - only smart choice out there)
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I vote for the Nissan Patrol... they're really nice... the only Nissan I would ever consider buying... and 2nd hand prices are reasonable... unlike the LC's...

Or alternatively an older Prado... later fitted with Lexus V8(with std ecu)...

mr b
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Los die SUV en koop vir Sheila :shifty:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Kry weer n Pajero, my vrou het ook een, al is die kompetisie in die huis baie sterk tussen ons oor ons ry goed, hou ek in my hart van die pajero, het 215 000 kilos op het nog nooit gaan staan of iets gebreek nie en ry nog met sy standaard exhuast pyp van die fabriek!!
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Lunar het 'n Patrol gehad en het nou 'n Foretuner.

As ek reg onthou het die Patrol so 4.2km/l in die dorp gegee en so 5.5 op die oop pad. Sonder om te sleep.

Die V6 Fortuner kry glo amper 8km/l op die oop pad.

Weet ook die V6 Prado's gee so 7-8km/l

Happy hunting!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Bennie, forget the stigma, the Prado is probably more Hiluxurious than a Land Cruiser and I am not even sure that a LC is worthy to be called a Prado... :mrgreen: .

I bought Pradog on sight alone, I never even took it for a spin until after I had done the sale. When I peered through the windows and the Salesguy asked if I would like to look at the engine, I went all weak-kneed. As I looked at the engine he started the V6... it purred like a kitten and in between the revs I heard: "Vat me, take me, vat my, take me"... and that's when I decided, there and then. Before that, I wasn't even on the lookout for another car.

I fetched the boat from the river today as we had to pack all the cottage furniture into the boat locker, and more than once I had to reassure myself that I was actually towing the boat. The V6 auto never felt a thing.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Bennie, I can just see you in a Smart Car.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Ek weet darem maar nie - 'n Nissan Safari mag 'n great voertuig wees, MAAR dit bly 'n NISSAN!!!!!.

Ek hoop nie jou ongeluk het breinskade ook veroorsaak nie... Is jy seker jy's oraait? 'n Nissan???? :wth:

Seriously, jy't eintlik net een keuse en dis die Prado. Die Fortuner is great en het baie spasie en krag, maar as jy die 2de handse pryse vergelyk is die Prado's beter waarde vir geld.
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Attachments
th_smart_fortwo_pic6 (Small).jpg
th_smart_fortwo_pic6 (Small).jpg (19.39 KiB) Viewed 4837 times
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Mud Dog wrote:How bad is the old vehicle .... many times it's just written off because the estimated repair comes too close to the book value of the vehicle. You would have first refusal to buy it back from the insurers and you could get it back for a song (under R20k). Then have it repaired or rebuilt into a good used body .... that way you will have all your accessories back and still maybe have change in your pocket from the insurers pay-out. Downside would be that you would loose a little resale value because of it being a re-build and of course you would have to manage without the vehicle for the duration of the repair. :think:
Its pretty fubar it rolled over more then once, my brother said there is not a portion of the vehicle that is not badly damaged, nothing to salvage, even the battery is in pieces
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Ewald Phoned me and said I should look at Range Rovers you can pick them up for a steal. He says their 4.8 Patrol gives 4.2km/l and that is even a bit rough for me, my boss will get a heart attack if he needs to pay that bill every month.

Eric when I bought the Pajero I looked at most probably 20 Prados like yours and drove a quite a few before settling on the Pajero. Yours is a one time only thing, models that old are normally heavy gewear en tear maar die groot ding is as ek 'n Prado vat sal ek nie settle vir iets anders as die 4liter V6 nie, even as ek Pajero gaan sal die die keer eerder die 3.8 wees.

Niemand comment op die X5 nie kyk 'n BMW nog altyd rock my boat.

My Buurman het die jaar sy klas gewen in die economy run met 'n Subaru en ek weet dis seker 'n great kar maar ek kon nog nooit myself picture in ene nie, maar ek het baie tyd om te soek en loer ek gaa 'n rukkie buite aksie wees. Sal nog eers hoor wat sê die assuransie.

So ver op my shortlist - Prado V6 Auto , BMW X5 3.0i or 4.6i maar ek bang biekie daai eksta 2 plugs die speedies gaat my opsluit :twisted: :twisted: Al wat my afsit van die X5 is smaak my hulle het almal stock gekom met 'n sunroof en ek smaak nie van sunroofs nie
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

I see Autorama Klerksdorp had another Prado VX, 2005/6 model, 105,000km, for sale at R299k. But it's sold already. Excellent condition.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

MORNE
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Isuzu E/cab 3.0 D-tec

Post by MORNE »

BenHur wrote:Ewald Phoned me and said I should look at Range Rovers you can pick them up for a steal. He says their 4.8 Patrol gives 4.2km/l and that is even a bit rough for me, my boss will get a heart attack if he needs to pay that bill every month.

Eric when I bought the Pajero I looked at most probably 20 Prados like yours and drove a quite a few before settling on the Pajero. Yours is a one time only thing, models that old are normally heavy gewear en tear maar die groot ding is as ek 'n Prado vat sal ek nie settle vir iets anders as die 4liter V6 nie, even as ek Pajero gaan sal die die keer eerder die 3.8 wees.

Niemand comment op die X5 nie kyk 'n BMW nog altyd rock my boat.

My Buurman het die jaar sy klas gewen in die economy run met 'n Subaru en ek weet dis seker 'n great kar maar ek kon nog nooit myself picture in ene nie, maar ek het baie tyd om te soek en loer ek gaa 'n rukkie buite aksie wees. Sal nog eers hoor wat sê die assuransie.

So ver op my shortlist - Prado V6 Auto , BMW X5 3.0i or 4.6i maar ek bang biekie daai eksta 2 plugs die speedies gaat my opsluit :twisted: :twisted: Al wat my afsit van die X5 is smaak my hulle het almal stock gekom met 'n sunroof en ek smaak nie van sunroofs nie
Kyk eers wat parte en n diens kos vir n X 5 en moenie die assuransie vergeet nie. Met n X5 kan jy nie eintlike 4x4 ry nie. Ek sal hom nie eers Atlantis toe vat nie , te veel tupperware om af te val.
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Family_Dog wrote:I see Autorama Klerksdorp had another Prado VX, 2005/6 model, 105,000km, for sale at R299k. But it's sold already. Excellent condition.

-F_D
That is abit expensive Eric. The dealers take chances with prices on Prado's. I've searched for one since November last year, and only bought now.
There is a clean one at Toyota Klerksdorp as well, 103 000km, for R299 000, but beige interior.
I paid even less than that, with 77 000km on the odo, and still 2 services left on the service plan(well, only 1 now as mine was serviced yesterday)

Bennie, koop n Prado. Jy sal nie spuit wees nie. Maar wees geduldig en soek so bietjie.
ImageImage
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Bennie,

Iets wat jy baie mooi moet in ag neem is dat enige BMW is 'n Hijack waiting to happen.............Die X5's is hoog op die lys omdat dit status so groot is met so voertuig in ons buurlande...... :wth: :wth:

So great as wat dit is, sal ek nie daai koop nie omdat jy heeltyd 'n moving target is.....Ek sal nie my kinders vervoer en heeltyd wonder wanneer is dit my beurt nie....

EK dink die Prado 4.0 V6 is die koop om te maak. Vergeet van die LC badge, jy is in anycase nie opsoek na 'n serious extreme rock crawling 4x4 nie, maar eerder 'n familie voertuig wat baie capable is offroad wanneer jy dit nodig het. Die X5 gaan sukkel op sand met 'n trailer in tow....

Baie van die VX Prado's was dark grey(swart) binne in en hulle is regtig ruim. Ek dink horses for courses & waarde vir geld is dit regtig die beste om te koop.

Jy behoort selfs bietjie beter petrol verbruik te kry as die Pajero....
Johan Marais
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Nee wat manne, ek het 'n beter idee...

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Attachments
bennie-hummer-h3.jpg
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Daai lyk soos 'n tronksel op wiele!!!! :shh: :shh:

Bennie sal ente vrees kry as hy die deur moet toe maak.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Johan Marais
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

JohanM wrote:Daai lyk soos 'n tronksel op wiele!!!! :shh: :shh:

Bennie sal ente vrees kry as hy die deur moet toe maak.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Daai ding is gebou vir WATER CROSSINGS...

Yellow Submarine!!!

:thumbup:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

V8 Interceptor wrote:
JohanM wrote:Daai lyk soos 'n tronksel op wiele!!!! :shh: :shh:

Daai ding is gebou vir WATER CROSSINGS...

Yellow Submarine!!!

:thumbup:
Ons moet hom dalk laat sponsor deur...
Image :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
To God be the glory
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

BenHum
:thumbup: :thumbup:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

BenHumHur
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Kaspaas wrote:BenHumHur

My vrou noem my baie so in die aand as die kinners al slaap
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

You should'nt hum around the house when the kids are sleeping ... they might have nightmares!!

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

BenHur wrote:
Kaspaas wrote:BenHumHur

My vrou noem my baie so in die aand as die kinners al slaap
Jy het klaar een gebreekte nekwerwel, sy breek nog een as jy nog verder uit die slaapkamer uitpraat.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

JohanM wrote:Bennie,

Iets wat jy baie mooi moet in ag neem is dat enige BMW is 'n Hijack waiting to happen.............Die X5's is hoog op die lys omdat dit status so groot is met so voertuig in ons buurlande...... :wth: :wth:

So great as wat dit is, sal ek nie daai koop nie omdat jy heeltyd 'n moving target is.....Ek sal nie my kinders vervoer en heeltyd wonder wanneer is dit my beurt nie....
Johan

Gaan lees bietjie hier Subject: Wat word van Suid Afrika?. My manier van dink is anders ek laat nie toe dat vrees my besluitneming bepaal nie, ek sal nooit toelaat dat my vryheid gesteel word deur daai oukie wat like as almal in vrees lewe nie. My vertrekpunt is anders so ek hoef nie oor sulke goed te worry nie.

As iemenad access soek om daai link te kan lees PM my dan maak ek jou deel van die Inspiration groep.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

DIESEL!

I've just polluted your thread!

(Yes I know you going to edit it Bennie!)
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Bennie there's a very neat one (Prado) on Gumtree in the Cape for R105K, I dont mind delivering it If I must... ;-)
Kaspaas
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Post by Kaspaas »

Bretton, jy is so man na aan my hart!!!

Diesel4life!!

Bennie, my Ouboet is op die waglys vir die eerste besending V8 Twin Tubo intercooled DIESEL Land Cruizer, As hy nie regkom daar nie, gaan hy meskien een uit Nam af invoer, So gepraat van Nam, eks vrek lus in Bring n "Cab and a half" 3.0 D4D oor, sjoe, julle sal nie glo hoe smart hulle lyk nie...

Is hy nie mooi nie???

Wonder of hierdie bulletjie in Bastiaan sal pas?? Allen? :think:
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Cobus jy moenie daai druiwe plare droog en rook nie, dit is nie goed vir jou breins nie
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

ToyX4 wrote:
Family_Dog wrote:I see Autorama Klerksdorp had another Prado VX, 2005/6 model, 105,000km, for sale at R299k. But it's sold already. Excellent condition.

-F_D
That is abit expensive Eric. The dealers take chances with prices on Prado's. I've searched for one since November last year, and only bought now.
There is a clean one at Toyota Klerksdorp as well, 103 000km, for R299 000, but beige interior.
I paid even less than that, with 77 000km on the odo, and still 2 services left on the service plan(well, only 1 now as mine was serviced yesterday)

Bennie, koop n Prado. Jy sal nie spuit wees nie. Maar wees geduldig en soek so bietjie.

Riaan, same one! Autorama is Oranje Toy's Used Car offshoot. Excellent condition, but I went to look at it last night and the lighting was not that good there. The Night Watch was watching me very carefully as well... ;)

NOW! Introduce your Prado, OME enol, to the Prado section...... :twisted: Tell us more about it, where you bought it, and you obviously bought a huge bargain.

To remain on-topic... Bennie, buy a Prado. A Blik-Met-Wiele is a yuppy thing, you're not a young man anymore, you know. And you will regret it when you want to go just a teensy bit off-roading, those things are built for ice and snow tarred roads only!

-F_D

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Cobus... I'll still be driving my 4Y 2.2L petrol SFA for sometime... I leave all the hitech modern stuff to the wife... she'll be my diesel guinea pig... with maintenance!

mr b
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:Bennie there's a very neat one (Prado) on Gumtree in the Cape for R105K, I dont mind delivering it If I must... ;-)
Thankx but no thanks too old and the colour is ouch. For Tax purpuses that one is not suited to my budget and I will not go for anything below the 4liter on a Prado
Kaspaas
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Post by Kaspaas »

Bennie, he he he, ek rook dit nie, maar drink wel die druiwe se UITSTEKENDE produk!! As jy ooit hier om kom, en jy nie sal om gee nie, daar is nie n soet Hanepoot soos wat ek maak nie. :P

Maar seariously, sal jy selfs nee sê vir daai Diesel???
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Family_Dog wrote:To remain on-topic... Bennie, buy a Prado. A Blik-Met-Wiele is a yuppy thing, ... -F_D
So there you have... nope I didn't say it... Oom Eric did... :shifty:

Thys you're a yuppy! :twisted:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

BASTIAAN wrote:Bennie, he he he, ek rook dit nie, maar drink wel die druiwe se UITSTEKENDE produk!! As jy ooit hier om kom, en jy nie sal om gee nie, daar is nie n soet Hanepoot soos wat ek maak nie. :P

Ja al is die net om 'n punt te bewys :twisted: :twisted: Ernstig ek sal nie weer sommer 'n diesel koop nie, slaap net soveel beter van ek nie meer 'n diesel ry nie. As jy my 'n diesel kan bring wat mens nie hoef te grannyshift op lae RPM nie maar gemaklik kan aanjaag na 6000 rpm toe, en hy staan en stink nie so as hy in die garage idle nie sou ek dalk al twee keer kyk maar even 'n BMW330D doen dit net nie soos 'n 330i nie. Daai adrenelien as 'n petrol motor op rev het ek nog nooit in 'n diesel ervaar nie.

Britney ek worry nie oor die yuppie stuff nie maar ek was nog altyd mal oor "Shear Driving Pleasure".
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

BenHur wrote:
BASTIAAN wrote:Bennie, he he he, ek rook dit nie, maar drink wel die druiwe se UITSTEKENDE produk!! As jy ooit hier om kom, en jy nie sal om gee nie, daar is nie n soet Hanepoot soos wat ek maak nie. :P

Ja al is die net om 'n punt te bewys :twisted: :twisted: Ernstig ek sal nie weer sommer 'n diesel koop nie, slaap net soveel beter van ek nie meer 'n diesel ry nie. As jy my 'n diesel kan bring wat mens nie hoef te grannyshift op lae RPM nie maar gemaklik kan aanjaag na 6000 rpm toe, en hy staan en stink nie so as hy in die garage idle nie sou ek dalk al twee keer kyk maar even 'n BMW330D doen dit net nie soos 'n 330i nie. Daai adrenelien as 'n petrol motor op rev het ek nog nooit in 'n diesel ervaar nie.

Britney ek worry nie oor die yuppie stuff nie maar ek was nog altyd mal oor "Shear Driving Pleasure".
Sit dan vir die Baron sy Lexus motor in.... :)

As jy van Shear Driving Pleasure will praat... gaan toets bestuur bietjie 'n Lexus... :clap: :clap: :clap:
To God be the glory
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Cassie ek het mos germaanse bloed in my man verstaan jy dan nou nie?
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

BenHur wrote:Cassie ek het mos germaanse bloed in my man verstaan jy dan nou nie?
Ek onthou nou weer.... ons almal het ons probleme :)
To God be the glory
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by King Rat »

BenHur wrote:...even 'n BMW330D doen dit net nie soos 'n 330i nie
Bennie jy's laf, het jy al van daai germaanse wonderwerk die 335i gehoor! DIS nou iets om oor genugtig te skree...
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

RustyRod wrote:Thys you're a yuppy! :twisted:
Thanks Bretton, some people on the forum will disagree with you because they reckon I am an A-Hole, but I appreciate the compliment :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

BMW's are exceptionally nice vehicles to drive, and I have had many of them, but the whole idea of the 4x4 X5 does not really make sense to me, but then again, to each his own. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Anyway, my BMW days are over, the 130i will stay in the family for those days when I feel like stretching my legs and break the speed limits or make some tyre smoke. :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Here's the economic, roll resistant option .......
bike trailer.jpg

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Kaspaas wrote: BMW's are exceptionally nice vehicles to drive, and I have had many of them, but the whole idea of the 4x4 X5 does not really make sense to me, but then again, to each his own.
Thys, I'm not so much after the 4x4 capabilities of the X5 offroad. I am into the whole SUV thing with ample space inside with the kids enol, if I can combine that with "Shear Driving Pleasure" (you for 1 should know what I talk about) then its a bonus.

I am still far from decided yet. It all depend on what the insurance pays out and what I can get hold of. I do have some time to look around but not indefinite as this vehicle will be my daily runner once I am up and about.

So here is the list of cars on my radar so far in order of preference

1. BMW X5 - 4.4i - Eish a V8 giving 8 km/l is not too bad
2. BMW X5 - 3.0i - Less testosterone but still plenty
3. Pajero Gen 3 3.8 GLS
4. Prado 4.0 V6
5. have not decided what will fit that spot that the 4.8 Patrol vacated due to its 4km/l town consumption. Its a pity though as they are great vehicles.
6. BMW X3 - 3.0i This shape does not have the same arousal effect as the X5 but who knows I may stumble across one that moves my world.
5. Subaro Forrester - not so sure about this one though the idea may grow on my again if I stumble across a definite bargain who knows?

So what else can I add to my list, I am open to suggestions but not something British though :!:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

So what else can I add to my list, I am open to suggestions but not something British though :!:
Bennie, I think you would look so refined in a true 4x4...
Series2A.jpg
Series2A.jpg (10.17 KiB) Viewed 4715 times

Now stop talking nonsense! Go and take a Prado for a test drive. There is no ways on this Earth that a Pajero could ever be placed in a higher category than a Prado, never! You already know what the paj was capable of, just go test drive a Prado first. The Prado beats the paj hands down in any contest.

Buying a BMW is fine, its luxurious indeed and I even admit it looks streets ahead of the equivalent MB product - I would more than likely choose it myself rather than the MB - and I am anything but a BMW fan! But BMWs have the same "stigma" as the LC marque, so that rules out the fact that you do not want to be considered a snob (your words in a previous post...).

(Sorry Thys, I am generalising here, the same as Bennie is with the LC drivers!)

I am convinced that the Prado would give the BMW a run for its money in any application and most definitely on sub-standard roads as well as off-road. You know very well you will be tempted to take the occasional little gravel road now and again.

Listen to me now! Image

-F_D

zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

A point to ponder if considering an X5 - a mate of mine's X5 was recently rendered totally undriveable because of the drivers' seat. Not the starter, not the fuel pump, not the elecrtonic management, not a faulty key but the SEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

The buttons controlling the seat movement stopped working - in one direction only! This resulted in, due all the fiddeling, the seat being moved as far forward as it would go, the backrest on the steering wheel & raised to it's highest. Even a legless midget would have not fitted behind the wheel. The car had to be towed on a lowbed to the repair shop & the cost was R2500 to replace the switch box. This was not at an agent so imagine the cost if it had been.

ALL BECAUSE OF THE SEAT. :oops: :lol:
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Steve

I am sure somewhere someone would have a similar bizarre story to tell about just about any car model that was made. I drove BMW's before and not even a single glitch in the electronics ever , the worse electrical fault I ever had was that one of my indicator lamps blew, and I saw a warning lamp on the dash right away, and once my gardener turned on the parks while washing the car on a Saturday afternoon and I did not realise it and when I tried to start her on the Monday nada, BMW oncall came to my house, gave me a jump for gratis and verniet as my wife already left for work.

Eric

On road I don't believe a Prado would be a contest for an X5,

At de Wildt I went with my Pajero where my cousin in his Prado damaged the tupperware seriously while attempting to follow. Do not underestimate a Pajero offroad, yes over time mine also picked up some tupperware damage mostly due to the extra weight of a filled long range tank in the rear but I did a lot of serious off-roading with her. In the Rightersveld a Prado turned around and did not want to follow us down the one path in a riverbed and that while I was towing the Bundu with my Pajero

A Pajero LWB with decent sliders and a slightly shorter rear bumper makes a great offroader, a SWB Pajero does not have the departure or brakeover issues.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

BenHur wrote:
o here is the list of cars on my radar so far in order of preference

1. BMW X5 - 4.4i - Eish a V8 giving 8 km/l is not too bad
2. BMW X5 - 3.0i - Less testosterone but still plenty
3. Pajero Gen 3 3.8 GLS
4. Prado 4.0 V6
5. have not decided what will fit that spot that the 4.8 Patrol vacated due to its 4km/l town consumption. Its a pity though as they are great vehicles.
6. BMW X3 - 3.0i This shape does not have the same arousal effect as the X5 but who knows I may stumble across one that moves my world.
5. Subaro Forrester - not so sure about this one though the idea may grow on my again if I stumble across a definite bargain who knows?

6. Disco2/3 - not British - German!!
7. Disco 4 - not British - Indian!!

R :wink:

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”