KZ-TE Clutch questions

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
dust-devil
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Gaborone
Vehicle: 2001 KZ-TE 4x4 DC

KZ-TE Clutch questions

Post by dust-devil »

My trusty 2001 KZ-TE has just clocked 180 000km (daily use, mainly tar, but average two or three bush trip per year - sometimes pulling a big trailer.
1. What sort of distance before the clutch needs replacing?
2. How do I know when the clutch is starting to pack up - what are the warning signs?
3. Does it happen gradually or just suddenly one day no clutch?
4. What does it cost when it goes (ball park)?
5. Any things to be aware of when the time comes to do the job?

Any info much appreciated.
A bad day in the bush is better than a good day at the office.
Triton 3.2 4x4 D/C A/T
2001 KZ-TE D/Cab. SAC Intercooler & chip. Nudge-M. Iron Man Suspension. Long range tank. Dual Battery. 29mHz. BFG A/T. etc (Reluctantly left behind when I left Botswana).
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: KZ-TE Clutch questions

Post by Mud Dog »

dust-devil wrote:My trusty 2001 KZ-TE has just clocked 180 000km (daily use, mainly tar, but average two or three bush trip per year - sometimes pulling a big trailer.
1. What sort of distance before the clutch needs replacing?
2. How do I know when the clutch is starting to pack up - what are the warning signs?
3. Does it happen gradually or just suddenly one day no clutch?
4. What does it cost when it goes (ball park)?
5. Any things to be aware of when the time comes to do the job?

Any info much appreciated.
1. It's probably coming up for replacement soon ... a lot depends on the type of driving that you do, short hops and town driving (stop / go) will wear the clutch quicker while open road trips will wear very slow. Regular towing will also shorten it's life. Also your driving style ... do you tend to 'ride' the clutch, or do you drive with your foot resting on the clutch pedal (the latter will shorten the life of the release bearing, which if needing replacement would mean that the clutch would be done at the same time even if not yet necessary - one doesn't go to the trouble of pulling out the box without replacing the clutch)

2. If the release bearing is on it's way out it will become noisy and you will hear it when depressing the clutch. If the clutch plate / pressure plate on on their way you will notice that it starts to slip when under load, like when towing or when going up a hill.

3. It's very seldom that you will suddenly have no clutch ... mostly there are warning signs as described above. Sudden loss of clutch is more likely to be the hydraulic system, and is usually an easy fix.

4. Cost of replacement can vary depending on what's required .... release bearing would be replaced in any event (not an expensive item) and usually the pressure plate is replaced at the same time as the clutch, bit it's not really always necessary (recommended though). In some instances it's necessary to skim the flywheel ... in most cases not. To have it done in a shop would probably cost between 2 and 2.5k. If you were able to do it yourself, a clutch kit (clutch plate, pressure plate, release bearing) would be in the region of 1k.

5. Things that should be looked at at the same time are, • Check condition of spigot bearing and replace if required. • Check for leaking / weeping rear crank seal, as well as gearbox and x-fer case shaft seals. • Check clutch hydraulic system. • Check on the condition of the prop shafts ... universals and carrier (centre) bearing.

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
conversion man
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: 911 Carreara MB CL 500 MB 500SEC MB 450 SLC CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE CONVERTABLE SFA HILEX JEEP 5.2 V8 FORD RANGER LEXUS

Post by conversion man »

PLEASE send the name of supplier that can give a KZ clutch for 1k MIDAS in Pretoria is closer to 3k
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Phew! Looks like I'm more than a little out of touch with some pricing ..... Midas quoted me R2500 incl. for a Luk clutch kit. Autozone for a Luk R 2800 incl and their House brand (Femo) R 912 incl. So it seems you can still get at R1k, but I wouldn't recommend the 'el cheapo' ;-)

However, you would still save yourself a fair amount by doing it yourself

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

If it doesn't slip or shudder, leave it alone, the KZ has a heavy duty clutch, i've seen them do well over 300 000kms
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

My Kz has a clutch gone on 127000km due to a leaking oil seal.

Most clutches sold is 'Light Duty' however I know SACHS sells a 'Medium Duty' which I believe is what is commonly referred to as heavy duty. Last time I checked it was about R1K more that the normal one.

SACHS 012 327 0040
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Buffalo Soldier
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Al Ain
Vehicle: Nissan Pathfinder

Post by Buffalo Soldier »

I will have to change the clutch kit within this year somewhere, bearing a bit noisy, but no slipping of the clutch, and the mileage now around 220 000 km. When the gearbox needs to move backwards, do I have to lower the rear end of the engine as well? Or will the bell housing clear the firewall? I suppose the gear levers will have to be removed as well (obviously all cables and wiring also)? Then, while the gearbox is out, I need to check/replace some synchros as well. Some gear scratching going on from 1st to 2nd. Would this be an easy opening box, or are there some tricks of the trade when doing this.

Thanks for the info in advance.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Yes, levers and peripherals all have to be disconnected. Not sure of the KZ, but sometimes the starter motor also needs to be removed if the bolts go through to the bell housing. The bell housing should clear the firewall ... might be necessary to drop the box at the rear a little so as to tilt the motor a bit on it's mounts.

Buffalo Soldier
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Al Ain
Vehicle: Nissan Pathfinder

Post by Buffalo Soldier »

Thanks Andy, mind is set to do it during the December closure. But will source the parts before that.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

If you don't have a g/box jack, be sure to organise some helpers .... those boxes are @#$%^& heavy! :D:

Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Hi Russell

Whilst the g/box is out also check the condition of the "fork" which is often over-looked, replaced my clutch kit on the platkar early in the year, only for the clutch to fail again in a few weeks due to a fork that had a hairline crack but I never picked it up.

Regards.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
mtbbiker
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Toyota hilux 2700i 4X4DC
Club VHF Licence: B199

Post by mtbbiker »

Hi Guys

I am in the process of replacing the clutch on my 2700i (after 219K km). I have also tried to go the "heavy duty" clutch option. Every place I phoned (including SACHS) told me there is not such thing as a heavy duty Clutch :?: .
I paid R2300 for a Sachs, they quoted me for the LUK about R2600. These I got from STAR brake and Clutch in Edenvale. I am also going to replace the Main Crank Seal (That is actually why I am replacing the Clutch). I got the original seal from Toyota for R465.00 :shock:

Return to “The Workshop”