Travel around SA - Route

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Travel around SA - Route

Post by OOOOMS »

Interesting Gary, sure each member around ZA could give you some interesting facts about their town, or some input :thumbup:

But are you serious.... :mocking: :mocking:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Have you found a Hilux yet? or you going wif da golf?
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Gooi kole boeta... :lol: :lol: :lol: My diesel will go around twice... :mocking: :mocking: :mocking:
patrickr
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: 1987 SC 2.2 Hilux 4x4, '86 D/C Hilux 4x4

Post by patrickr »

I had a similar idea a few years back Gary, but slack a&se me didnt get it off the ground.

I was going to try and get sponsors (Sasol for petrol, Garmin for a GPS, etc) to sponsor me, and to do a "youtube" documentary of it all. Turned out that I was a bit young and inexperienced :)

However, the route I was going to try and take was to visit the four points of SA (North, South, East, West). That route (considering you started in CT) would take you all the way up, past Cape Aguhlas the coast to St. Lucia, then through Zululand, up to Messina in Limpopo, down past Gauteng and west to Alexander Bay. Then down home to CT.

If you do end up doing it, pull in here in Durban and we can grab a beer and talk Hiluxes :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Take nothing but photographs and leave nothing but footprints
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

DONT plan !

Get behind the wheel and start te engine ... as you get to the engine just make a quick call on West Coast of Garden route - en daar gaan jy .....

By 3 or 4 in the afternoon start looking for a place to stay.

IF you do this as a single vehicle you will find that the locals are more talkative, compared to when you pull in with a convoy .....

Look at the following on a map:
up the N7
Clanwilliam
Biedowvalley, up the valley and through the Matjiesriver(?)
keep following this gravel road (NOT Citi friendly, the Citi would already have drowned in the river)
at the next juction turn left ....
and just keep on going .... :)

300km per day on gravel is pushing it, clearly you can cover more on tar.

we did 3500km through Namibia over the Easter in this way - NO pre bookings, just GO ! stop planning and procrastinating, GO !!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”