St Lucia Easter Weekend

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
yotaman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartenbos Western Cape
Vehicle: '99 2.7i Hilux 4x4 S/C

St Lucia Easter Weekend

Post by yotaman »

Planning to visist St Lucia over the Easter W/end. Can anyone tell me if the Mouth is open? Also, any specific fishing fishing spots that can be recommended and some 4x4 day trips perhaps? Last time I visited this gem of a place was when one could still traverse its beaches with a 4x4 vehicle
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: St Lucia Easter Weekend

Post by OOOOMS »

Shane, the only beach driving around there is South of St Lucia, place called Mapelane. You need to get a permit from the office, just search Mapelane here on the Forum and you should find the info.

Lekker visvang :thumbup:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Shane hier is 'n link:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17986&hilit=mapelane" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Musselcracker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1989 SFA D/C

Post by Musselcracker »

Hi Shane

I am hearing exciting rumors that they are planning to open the mouth of the estuary very soon! THESE ARE JUST RUMORS!!! I hear off the fishing forums! So you may just be in LUCK!

Mapelane may be 8km south of St Lucia (along the beach) but now with the beach vehicle ban is an 80km round trip... out of St Lucia back on the N2 past Matubatuba and then only the forest section, so if you gonna go maybe camp there a couple of nights... Also maybe stop at Mapelane first then work back up to St Lucia

The fishing has been great down at Mapelane with guys catching some nice Zambies and Sandies! If you are taking a boat, the dorado, couta and marlin are full up .... Some say that it is due to the pirates up off Kenya that have stopped the fishing boats and longliners operating up there!

I prefer Mapelane, nice and secluded and great fishing, if you can still get the permit to drive south, go as far as you can down to the wreck (Jolly Rebino) pack a plug and spoon you should come tight with GT, Kingfish or even a Couta.... otherwise if you walk... it will be well worth the effort to walk south as far as you can!!!

St Lucia side there are still good big zambies in the river / estuary i have seen them on our last field trip, just becareful the crocs and the hippos.... the beach has been quiet for a while but again i would walk as far North as you can and target cob, stumpies and pompano..

Tight lines
oom dan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: st lucia
Vehicle: hilux

Post by oom dan »

hi shane, the umfolosi river mouth is open but very shallow with discoloured water that pushes back into the estuary with the incoming tide some sandies and small kob coming out. the stlucia estuary is still closed , have heard so many stories about it's opening don't know what to believe. this month march is supposed to be the grand opening!! north from main beach night fishing has worked, stumpies, pompano and 3 to 5 kg kob. but you never know, between now and april a lot can change what is for sure is you will have a lekker holiday.
oom dan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: st lucia
Vehicle: hilux

Post by oom dan »

a start was made to route the umfolozi river at it's mouth into the stlucia estuary with a trench along the beach, it was like that in the eighties and early nineties after demoina, a bigger more reliable machine is being sought to do the job. this is great news and when complete will make many people very happy and bring back all the fishermen of old and many new ones will keep you posted
yotaman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartenbos Western Cape
Vehicle: '99 2.7i Hilux 4x4 S/C

Post by yotaman »

Thank you Mark, Chris and Deane. I really appreciate your responses. I've made a booking (was very fortunate to get one) the place is going to buzz over the Easter break. Can't wait. :yahoo:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”