KZTE Grinding Noise

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
badassbiker
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE

KZTE Grinding Noise

Post by badassbiker »

Hi guys,

I have a 2004 KZTE 4x4 D/C with about 381 000 km. Recently it started making a grinding noise (almost like a tyre scraping against the body). The noise comes and goes but mainly appears once I go over 80, and at 120 / 130 is like a constant rumble - Quite loud! After a long trip the noise will remain even at crawling speed until the vehicle has been standing for a while, then no noise at low speed. Also the noise seems to dissappear or get less when braking.

It seems to be coming from the front (although its difficult to pinpoint) and can be felt in the footwell as a slight vibration in time with the sound. Also it makes no difference if in 2H or 4H, hubs locked or free.

I have checked the following:
- Balljoints (all good)
- Front discs - replaced
- front pads - replaced
- front wheelbearings - re-packed
- all shocks replaced
- Idler arm replaced
- No apparent problem with propshaft or center bearing
- No apparent problem with gearbox, transfer case or diffs

Vehicle is fitted with OME tortion bars and leafs and raised but standard rims and tyres at this stage.

Any help or insight with this problem will be greatly appreciated.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: KZTE Grinding Noise

Post by Thabogrobler »

Perhaps the inner fender, ie fender lining or maybe that splash rubber between the tyre well and engine?

Any recent work of additions to the truck?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
JJBotes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: KZ-TE

Post by JJBotes »

I had a similar noise that turned out to be "that splash rubber between the tyre well and engine".Could also feel it in the footwell.
:thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

From what you describe I doubt that it's wheel bearings (the sound would be there all the time and differ in pitch with relation to the speed) but if I may comment, just re-packing the bearings is a waste of time if there's a problem with them ... if pitted, they will just get worse, re-packed or not.

What you describe is more indicative to me of something that resonates with vibration except that it does so at low speeds when hot maybe. :think:

When as you say it happens at low speeds after travelling for a while, does it stop when the vehicle is stationary?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I had a similar noise that turned out to be "that splash rubber between the tyre well and engine".Could also feel it in the footwell.
+1 , that is why it is not there anymore :smile:
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
badassbiker
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE

Post by badassbiker »

Fixed!

Believe it or not the noise turned out to be the right rear wheel bearing. It seems that when cold the bearing worked normally to some extent but when warm it started to turn on the shaft. I had the shaft welded and machined down and fitted a new bearing.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Glad that you got to the bottom of it! :thumbup: As I said, didn't sound like a bearing to me, so it goes to show, don't overlook the obvious. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
JJBotes
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: KZ-TE

Post by JJBotes »

Noted, tx for the feed-back , glad you are sorted . :thumbup:
:thumbup:

Return to “The Workshop”