3.0 D4D Engine whining noise

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
cecilgreeff
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 d4d D/C

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:22 am

Hi Guys,

My 2014 3.0 D4D with 110k km started to whine when I rev op to 2000, it's a bit higher pitch than the normal revs, and is quite sensitive when pressing/releasing the accelerator. Can only be heard on low revs, but picks up to a faint high pitch as the normal revs of the engine picks up.
This happens when vehicle is still or running, so not on the drive train.
I checked the turbo as well, but the sound seems to come from the front of the engine, almost as if it's a idler pulley bearing, alternator or viscous fan. Belt seems fine.
No difference when lights are on, so probably not the alternator, and no difference when turning the steering, so probably not power steering.
It seems to be worse when it's colder, on first start.

Has anybody experienced something like this, or problems with the pulley bearings?
Thanks.

C

Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2014 Suzuki Jimny Fully kitted with every extra you can imagine that is available for a Jimny

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:06 pm

Input shaft bearing?
Sent from my iPhone

Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:50 pm

Ten rand on the alternator bearing
:thumbup:

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:12 am

My guess would be that you are on the money when you suggest idler pulley bearing. It may feel OK but doesn't mean that it is. Sometimes these sealed bearings start to run "dry" as the grease inside hardens with age and heat. You could try getting some W40 to seep in there and see if it makes a difference - if it does then of course you would have your answer but it would only be a very short term cure and the bearing would need replacement.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:23 pm

Mud Dog wrote:My guess would be that you are on the money when you suggest idler pulley bearing. It may feel OK but doesn't mean that it is. Sometimes these sealed bearings start to run "dry" as the grease inside hardens with age and heat. You could try getting some W40 to seep in there and see if it makes a difference - if it does then of course you would have your answer but it would only be a very short term cure and the bearing would need replacement.
The d4d engines I also see the same bearings going first
On the manuals the clutch idler bearing going noisy
Noisy bearing in the front almost guarenteed that it's the alternator bearing.

Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:25 pm

As for the replacement my clutch idler bearing started to make a noise at 100 000km. I always said I'll leave it until I replace the clutch. I'm now on 200 000km and it's still going

Return to “The Workshop”

• Information