SAC has Bilstein cure for 'skittish' Hiluxes

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

SAC has Bilstein cure for 'skittish' Hiluxes

Post by Family_Dog »

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=4 ... 337358B223

Just as Toyota launched its latest range of Hilux bakkies in the Pilanesberg last week so SAC, a local after-sales vehicle performance company, has launched a suspension upgrade for the same vehicle to cure is skittishness on rough gravel or other unpaved roads.

And skittish they certainly are - like most bakkies - at least in two-wheel drive: the roads up by the Botswana border are not the best and city slickers can be caught out by families of potholes that can kick the rear wheels right or left – as indeed happened to me during the Toyota launch.

The 2.7-litre two-wheel-drive Hilux, cruising at a comfortable 85km/h on a long, straight stretch of dirt, was suddenly almost sideways and heading for the bush on the right-hand side of the road. Steering into the slide and then correcting once again as the horizon returned to its rightful place quickly ended the emergency.

Nevertheless, a less-experienced driver could have been in trouble – and all because, while a bakkie is a great way of getting around, its very design dictates that its tail will be, well, flexible.

The 2.7-litre two-wheel-drive Hilux was suddenly sideways.
SAC, in conjunction with suspension gurus Bilstein, has developed and, the company claims, perfected a suspension upgrade for the Hilux that not only alleviates that rough-road glitch but also improves the bakkies' overall ride and handling qualities.

More than 30 000km of on and off-road testing, including rigorous sessions at the Gerotek vehicle testing facility west of Pretoria, went into the final tuning.

The kit replaces all four shock absorbers with Bilstein gas-pressure units as well as different rear leaf springs and new bushing buffers. The kit is designed to improve the Hilux’s dynamics in all conditions – from driving unladen on a freeway to fully laden on the farm.

Not only does the kit improve handling, roadholding and the vehicle’s general dynamics but it also provides a softer and more pleasant ride, SAC says.

The kit takes less than two hours to fit and is transferable from one vehicle to the next should you upgrade to a new Hilux.

A less-experienced driver could have been in trouble.
Interestingly, a standard Hilux could not reach 80km/h over one tough, man-made suspension articulation track at Gerotek’s challenging suspension facility. With the conversion it managed to exceed 130km/h before it approached its limit on the strip.

The SAC Hilux was also significantly faster around Gerotek’s ride and handling track.

SAC, which is the abbreviation for Steve's Auto Clinic, has a wide range of services and products ranging from a wide selection of car and bakkie performance products to servicing, maintenance and tuning through its growing network of branches and franchises nationwide.

# For more info go to http://www.steves.co.za or call Steve Fischer on (016) 981-1033 or email info@steves.co.za

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Re: SAC has Bilstein cure for 'skittish' Hiluxes

Post by LouisZ »

Hi Eric,

How are you? Bulldog still fine? :D

How much do the SAC kit cost for interest?

Best Regards,
Louis
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Louis,

I really have no idea what the cost is, but probably an arm and a leg. Bulldog is fine, he is not "Skittish" and doesn't require walking aids, unlike the new plastic Hilux's & Fortuners... :twisted: :mrgreen:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Hi Eric,

SFA Hiluxes are great! :lol: :D

Louis
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

But Eric HAS spent his spare pennies on OME and lotza lotza toys vir his babies nê :wink:
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2004 Legend 35 Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Post by 3RZ »

I don't think they do this kit anymore, this was back in 2002. The demand wasn't very big but the price was.
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2004 Legend 35 Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Post by 3RZ »

I see SAC are now supplying and fitting Koni's

http://www.steves.co.za/Koni-Heavy-Trac ... hocks.html
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

SAC used to do that, but it was not a great success story, however some people felt that it was better value for money compared to OME and rivals, however, after my weekend of fast long distance driving on dirt roads and very wet tar rods, I have to say I will not fit other suspension to my lux.....

Those kits were a pain to fit and also had some people complaining about loss of load carrying ability.....
Johan Marais

Return to “The Workshop”