Hilux struggling too fire

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Dye29
Town: North yorkshire
Vehicle: Hilux

Hilux struggling too fire

Post by Dye29 »

I really need help please the other day my 2013 hilux just cut out on me i had quarter of tank fuel so thought maybe was fuel related i then filled it up with diesel and put new fuel filter in then primed up but still wouldnt fire it cranks over fast but not firing then after scratching head all day and trying out of the blue it fired up i dont think this was fuel related to be honest , so now it runs and drives fine for now but everytime i start it its taking a good 5-10sec too fire does anyone know what this could be as i really need this for work please help guys thanks
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Hilux struggling too fire

Post by Mud Dog »

Start up problems are mostly glow plug related but this doesn't explain it cutting out on you. It is however possible that the cutting out and the starting problems are two unrelated problems. Incorrect fuelling could also be a possibility. Have you noticed any unusual smoking at the exhaust?

I would start with the simplest thing first by checking that the glow plugs are getting current on start-up and that they are actually working. If there is no current then the usual culprits are a fuse or the relay.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Re: Hilux struggling too fire

Post by Die$eL »

Stock ECU or you running a chip?
If running a chip try removing it.

Taking a while to start does sound like glow plug related as Mud Dog said. If you turn the key to on, how long does the glow plug light stay illuminated on the dash?
Also try turning to on, then off when the glow plug light goes off. Repeat a few times before trying to start. If it starts quicker then definitely glow plug related.
Real drivers use three pedals

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”