2.7 "dead" cylinder need advice pls

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
NICKfrNAM
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: 2000 Toyota Hilux 2700 DC 4x4

2.7 "dead" cylinder need advice pls

Post by NICKfrNAM »

advise please, a recent compression test on my 2000 Toyota Hilux 2.7 revealed that #1 cylinder 4.5kgf/cm2 was far below the min 9kgf/cm2. #2&3 was in the high 9's and #4 at 12.5kgf/cm2.

The workshop manager suggested it was valves.

They were unable to assist, mainly due to lead time for parts. Also they are not my first option as it might be expensive.
295k, definite loss of power, engine struggles to get up to speed, misses and occasionally backfires. There is no black smoke and fuel consumption is at 7km/l.

What would you recommend is the way forward taking into consideration the test was done at Kasane Toyota, Botswana and Im currently in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. I am Namibian :D:

Should I open her up and attempt to fix the problem or go directly for an engine replacement? or any alternative solutions are welcome.

I can probably head south over the border if needed.

Dankie almal :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 2.7 "dead" cylinder need advice pls

Post by Mud Dog »

It does sound like it's a valve problem. 300K kilo's is nothing for those motors, so an engine replacement is not even a reasonable option. Other possibilities for compression loss are that there is a crack in the head or the head gasket is blown on that cylinder, both of which are unlikely if you're not loosing coolant. The other possibility is broken rings, but then it would be producing grey / white smoke from the exhaust.

I think you may have a burnt valve. The head has to come off and it would be a good idea to do all the valve stem seals at the same time as well as a valve grind / re-seating of all the valves ..... basically a re-con of the head. That motor will then be good for another 300K.

If you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long term still, then it might be a good idea to replace the timing chain, chain tensioner and chain guide at the same time as well if that hasn't been done yet.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
NICKfrNAM
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: 2000 Toyota Hilux 2700 DC 4x4

Post by NICKfrNAM »

Mud Dog wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:42 pm It does sound like it's a valve problem. 300K kilo's is nothing for those motors, so an engine replacement is not even a reasonable option. Other possibilities for compression loss are that there is a crack in the head or the head gasket is blown on that cylinder, both of which are unlikely if you're not loosing coolant. The other possibility is broken rings, but then it would be producing grey / white smoke from the exhaust.

I think you may have a burnt valve. The head has to come off and it would be a good idea to do all the valve stem seals at the same time as well as a valve grind / re-seating of all the valves ..... basically a re-con of the head. That motor will then be good for another 300K.

If you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long term still, then it might be a good idea to replace the timing chain, chain tensioner and chain guide at the same time as well if that hasn't been done yet.
Thank you mud dog. Ill have to bite the bullet and start making plans on Monday
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”