Hilux 2.8 Gd-6 4x4 Manual Versus Automatic

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
craigscott
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Hilux 2.8 Gd-6 4x4 Manual Versus Automatic

Post by craigscott »

Hi I am looking at buying a 2018-2019 Hilux 2 Twin Cab 2.8 Gd-6 4x4, so that I can do more off road trips. There are a lot more Auto's on the market than manual's, how do the auto's handle in off road conditions ? which is better overall ? I have always driven manual bakkies in the past, Your input would be most appreciated
Nords
Town: Nanyuki
Vehicle: 2019 Hilux

Re: Hilux 2.8 Gd-6 4x4 Manual Versus Automatic

Post by Nords »

No one answered Craig, however I have just bought an auto 2.8 DC 4x4 and the standard tyres claim to be AT (Dunlops) but really are not! We have a 70 series Landcruiser for proper bush-bashing and that will get just about anywhere with AT tyres and upgraded suspension.

The hilux auto gets more torque as I’m sure everyone is aware. Right now, I think the auto works fine off road (landruiser is manual, with lever low ratio and get out and play with the hubs locking front diff), what I worry about is ground clearance. The Hilux is a 2019 Revo shape and although nothing has touched down yet, I look at a trail and think the LC would eat that up, but I don’t fancy trying it in the Hilux!

This guy says the auto is better for off-road too…

https://youtu.be/lOAKFxDz0Yk?si=slR4WzeupEGMLjcz
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

In South Africa around 70% or new Hiluxe's sold is auto. We need to adapt to newer technology.

My grandfather rode a horse and I'm sure you will agree that is not the preferred method of transport anymore?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Gomario
Town: Humansdorp
Vehicle: Duster 4x4

Post by Gomario »

In "good hands" manual is the way to go. But good hands are difficult to come by nowadays... Hence - automatic for me all the way

Sent from my LM-G910 using Tapatalk

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”