Dual side by side fuel tanks

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Dual side by side fuel tanks

Post by Tim86 »

I have the opportunity to get hold of a 90L 1998 LTD fuel tank and am thinking of putting it next to my original tank and re-routing the exhaust (22R) - does anyone have advice on this or a few pictures of a successful addition?
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Re: Dual side by side fuel tanks

Post by dax021 »

Why 2 tanks if the new one is 90L. Surely 90Lts is more than enough for any long distance trip, why not remove your original, I imagine it is 60 odd Lt, and just fit the larger one.
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tim86 »

The 90L is definitely going in the original's place. With the thirsty 22R @ 6km/L, 85 useable litres only gives a range of 500km. With the original now lying around I may as well bolt it in as the job is not too onerous and this nudges up the range to 850km which gets into the 'long distance' realm. It's the nuances and good ideas I am after.
Vicy Boosted
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux SFA

Post by Vicy Boosted »

Where can i get a Larger fuel tank, looking to fit n Large fuel tank as the one i have Only contains around 50L, I Would Like to go as large as possible so that I dont need to full it up regularly, otherwise thinking of building 2 new Custom Fuel tanks for Both sides, that looks alike, seen poeple do extended long range fuel tanks and replace the Original spare Tire, But i Would Prefer to keep my spear tire on the OEM place
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Leave the spare where it is and forget about two side by side tanks ... this issue has been raised here a few times (do a search) and is not a successful option. Filling and air-locks are a problem that doesn't go away ... you will also have to fit an independently operated fuel transfer pump. Rather look for a single 90lit tank and if necessary extend it over the drive shaft.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

You can see what I did here (on pg2 of this topic) ..... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15977&p=487178&hili ... ux#p487178
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”