33" s on stock hilux

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
trap4x4
Town: canada
Vehicle: '90 hilux 4 door gasser

33" s on stock hilux

Post by trap4x4 »

Hi Guy's... did a bit of digging but didnt find an answer..... Will 33 x 9.50 inch tires fit on a stock suspension 1990 4 door Hilux?

Thanks in advance....
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Re: 33" s on stock hilux

Post by Scooter »

In short travis, NO :!:

AFAIK you will have to firstly move the front axle forward by 35mm or something and secondly you will have to lift the body, 50mm should do. Or else you will have the wheels touching the body.

Im sure there will be more answers to follow.

Here's one or two topics on it:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4534&hilit=33+inch+tyres+on+4y
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2243&hilit=bigger+w ... y&start=20
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Welcome Travis!!!!

The 33 " Tyres is a bit big for the standard suspension setup due to the fact that it will catch the body quite badly when cross axle's are encoutered. I know that the front axle is to be moved forward when wanting to use the 33" to your full advantage and also a body lift is highly recomended to clear the tyres.

The max the std suspension can handle without problems is 31" tyres.
Johan Marais
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Travis, dude Hi there... Yes you can fit 33"s on stock 4door Hilux suspension, BUT you wont be able to drive it. Coenie (King Rat) here on the forum fitted 33"x10.5"x15" BFG Muds on his Lux and drove in town with it for a while (a week) before he had the front axle moved forward by 35mm. Off-road it sucked. The tyres fouled on the wheel arches and the turning circle is just about non existent while articulating. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Short answer, for off-road work, NO, for light on road work MAYBE, in case of emergency only. Do the suspension mods you wont regret it... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
trap4x4

Post by trap4x4 »

33 x 9.50 's on the hilux..... get the odd rub...
Attachments
015.JPG
014.JPG
013.JPG
Scooter
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Nice Travis. Did you move the axle forward or was there enough room?

Perhaps if there was enoguh room, the spacing is different to our local model :?:
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
trap4x4

Post by trap4x4 »

Havent moved or done any mods yet... this is a imported JDM, so not sure how different the suspension would be... i thought the running gear was the same as the export tacomas in the states tho.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Just got to add my moans here as well.......

To fit 33" tires to a std truck, you do not have to move the front axle foreward.

This vehicle in the pic's, does it have the independent fron suspension?

The reason why I say that the front solid axle can be standard is.

You can lift the body by 75 to 80mm.
Then cut away the body metal behind the front wheels. Weld in new plates.
Trim the front fenders as well. Until you have sufficient space for the wheel and tyre to articulate.
With the rear wheels, fit some 2" wheel spaces.
Fit wider fender flares to take up the protusion of the tyres past the fenders.
Fit some wheel spaces to the front wheels as well.

With the moving of the front axle foreward, it is a stuff up with the wheel inclination angles and control of the steering and vehicle, I do not care what other people have to say about my remarks, but these are the facts.

Your vehicle in the pic, if you say that it is still std, cannot and will not articulate correctly and the rear inner side walls of the tyres will touch the chassis, but maybe you only drive through snow.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Simoan,

I went the route of moving the axle forward, to date I have had no issue whatsoever, no matter what you say... and that's a fact! :twisted:

B
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Snipes wait and see what happens and then you will remember me :silent: :wave:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by King Rat »

No issues with my moving the axle forward either, and much cheaper and faster than doing bodywork and that's a fact as a fact can be. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

What could go wrong Simoan? Also I have not had any hassles with the axle moved forward. It sure is cheaper and quicker than having the fenders panel-beated.. Also an 80mm body lift is quite severe not so? :shock: :shock: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

SYRON CONVERSIONS

Guys I am eating brealfast, just had a quick look here, have to go, busy getting a truck ready for the RWC, will explain negative aspects later on.

cheers

simoan
BlumTRD
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa

Post by BlumTRD »

http://www.brian894x4.com/Hiluxdifferences.html

http://www.brian894x4.com/images/ReneChapmanHilux.jpg

If i'm correct this truck is a SFA :wth:

Elke man doen wat hy wil , dus wat ons uniek maak . anders was ons almal
se Lux'e die selfde , hoe boring sou dit gewees het :thumbdown: . Die mens sal nooit altyd
als weet nie :Geek: , elke mense het iets besonders en saam maak dinge werk .

If sombody tells you can't :x , make a point and show that it can be done 8 ) .

Trap4x4 nice Hilux :thumbup: :thumbup:
SYRON CONVERSIONS

The trac bar will touch up against the U-bolt when you turn, there are two options available to sort this problem out.

1. Buy a special trac bar from Supioreengineering in Australia, it is manufactured in such a shape to not touch the U- Bolt.

2. Fit cross over steering.

Yes you guys who only use your vehicle on the tar roads and maybe to the shopping mall might not experience any problems, but when your vehicle is at max articulation the trac bar will touch and thus the "horseshoe arm" can snap, on each end of the trac bar, there are little round ball joints, these joints will wear quickly and they can also snap off.

The anti wrap bar, this is the steel rod with rubber inserted bushes on each end has to be lengthened, some people just leave it off, but the people who lengthen it are messing around with the inclination of the torque related aspect, depending what the person did to the front propshaft, if they did not lengthen it and they just allowed the splines to take up the difference, well they will soon have other worries when they are at full articulation and thus this is why it is not a good idea to move the front axle foreward.

And to make matters worse, you must always remember that it is very dangerous to say to anybody that you can do this or that concerning any part of a vehicle, because if something goes wrong for some reason or the other, people can make you responsible for what you said and can in turn just say that you said that it can be doen or whatever. This is why when guiding a person who is driving his 4x4 off-road, you have to have a little chat with him first, telling him that he is to make the final desicion of his or her actions.

Carry on and make your remarks negative or positive of what I have said, but be warned of moving the front axle foreward on your vehicle. :thumbdown:

simoan
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Here you go again, thinking you're the only one who takes your Hilux off road :!: :!:
The people who commented on this, do actually take their Hilux's off road :!: :!:
ImageImage
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: D2 V8

Post by Riceburner »

On a SFA I cut 10mm away from the rear of the front wheel arch with a angle grinder. No rubbing at all. Easier than moving the axle forward.
Attachments
20081128(009).jpg
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by King Rat »

SYRON CONVERSIONS wrote:Carry on and make your remarks negative or positive of what I have said, but be warned of moving the front axle foreward on your vehicle. :thumbdown:
Thanks for the input. :thumbup:
Last edited by King Rat on Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

I must thank you Simoan for your concern, and your advice is duely noted. In my experience, though, after 5 years of having a "moved axle" and doing more off-roading than most guys and probably the same as you. I have never snapped anything, snagged a track-bar on a u-bolt or had any of the other hassles you mentioned. It does, of course, depend on who does the job, and if that person knows what he/she is doing. :thumbup:

Yes I also concur with you that it is not just a matter of moving the axle forward, but that altering the length of the front propshaft should also be considered. Mine was lengthened by the way, and this comes back to the part where the guy who does the job needs to know what he's doing. :thumbup:

If, however, you would rather cut away your body-panels and do some panel-beating, then so be it, but in my humble opinion just moving the axle is a much easier workable solution. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: D2 V8

Post by Riceburner »

AllPro Offroad and Marlin Crawler sell thier 4 and 5" lift kits with offset front blades that relocate the front axel to accomodate 35 and larger tyres.
SYRON CONVERSIONS

What a wonderful interesting debate we are all having :eh:

What next topic are we going to debate about :wave:

simoan
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Simon,

Thank for your comments and concerns, I will take a good look at these pointers when my lux is in a heavy articulation situation(600km away, still running the engine in). Most of the guys in Cape Town rely on Alan for advise and these types of modifications, he has been going the front axle move for many years(10+) and knows what he's doing, and does a proper job. My 4x4 buddy Craig had the axle moved(done by Alan) with 35inch tyres and does extreme obstacles with max articulation without problems!

B
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Thys

Between you and Allan did describe the mod and showed pics of the conversion which did also include shortening the torque rod and pitman arm. But the info is scattered between different topics. Dont you want to combine all the foudies into a nice article which also includes the measurements and a description and then Pieter can move it to the member's article section.

Simon

Welcome back have not seen much of you one the forum lately. But why the attitude? if we are all nice and friendly here we can still differ of opinions without everyone getting into a fight.

Back to the topic, I guess if you simply move the axle without modifying the Pitman and shortening the torque rod and lengthening the prop shaft is is not a good mod, but if it is done like all the ones Allan did it works great. I drove Snipes' van when we were doing his EFI and even on high speed the vehicle is stable there is no bump steer or pitman catching issues.
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Why the attitude

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well it seems that I have now caught you all out, from the beginning I was just joking with you all and fooling around, you see there are just too many serious people on these forums, this is why I have kept away for a while, however it seems that some people just cannot take a joke and thus I will not debate anything with you all, as you all know what you are doing. And I have also seen you joking about various topics and giving advice in a joking way before, thus Bingo :think: :silent:

simoan
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

OK you got us all :clap: :clap: :clap:
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Ronny's 1996 Toyota Hilux single cab if you read back somewhere, we also moved the front axle foreward to fit the 33's, but we got our trac bar from Australia and yes what Riceburner said is also correct. :twisted:

simoan
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Ha ha ha... blah blah... Simon you're a funny guy... well almost... I know the air is a little thin in your part of the country...
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

BenHur wrote:Thys

Between you and Allan did describe the mod and showed pics of the conversion which did also include shortening the torque rod and pitman arm. But the info is scattered between different topics. Dont you want to combine all the foudies into a nice article which also includes the measurements and a description and then Pieter can move it to the member's article section.
Will do so Bennie, gee net eers gou 'n kansie.. Bit busy right now. There are pics on my Photobucket account though, for those who dont want to / cant wait.

Look here:
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee26 ... ech_Stuff/
Thys de Jager

Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Hey Thys, how about that promised article? I am feeling motivated to start some mods after not doing much to the Lux for a while.

Thinking Axle move, leaf spring saddle fix (as per Louis), adjustable torque rod, shortened/adjustable drag link, lengthened front prop shaft, and maybe a 25mm body lift to fit some 33's.
So your artical would be valuable :thumbup:

Why do I need to? I don't, but I need a project :D

@Bretton, are you still happy with 33's and no body lift?
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Ah, just found the article on moving the axle forward viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4131&p=45299&hilit= ... xle#p45299

Just a question on the article Thys, why is the one spring saddle locating hole drilled 35mm from standard, and the other one 30mm ?

I didn't see anyting here about making the front prop shaft longer? Is it done by a prop shaft company, or do you make a spacer at one end on the mounting flange?
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Remove front propshaft.
Have it lengthened at a propshaft business
They must also re-balance the propshaft
Make sure that they fit the correct nipples
Have them check the double cardan joint, if worn fit a new joint but it must be of a good brand, do not fit a cheap joint.
Check the flange pinion seal and also the flange on the transfer case for leaks. Check that the locking nuts on both flanges are correct.

If you need some more help. just give me a call while you are doing the mod cell 082 499 1924 anytime will be fine. :thumbup:

simoan
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Thanks Simon. I have a spare front propshaft and a spare front torque arm, so I may use them for the mods and keep my original ones "original" :shifty:

Will just have to cut and shorten my brand new drag link :cry:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Sifu-Lux wrote:Ah, just found the article on moving the axle forward viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4131&p=45299&hilit= ... xle#p45299

Just a question on the article Thys, why is the one spring saddle locating hole drilled 35mm from standard, and the other one 30mm ?

I didn't see anyting here about making the front prop shaft longer? Is it done by a prop shaft company, or do you make a spacer at one end on the mounting flange?
The saddle holes are at differing distances since in RSA (or any other LHD country) the left front wheel should be slightly forward of the right one. The reason is to compensate for road camber, since our roads are cambered to the side for water run-off. A perfectly geometrical wheel base will tend to run off to the left all the time. This variance can be as much as 15mm more foprward on the LHS.

Depending on how much suspension lift you have, or how much further forward you move your axle will determine whether you need to lengthen the propsaft. The standard shaft is often adequate for either one or the other. To check after you've done the work, jack the front off the ground on the chassis or cross member so that the axle hangs freely at full extension. The slip-joint on the prop should have at least 30 / 40mm left to go before it slips out of the splines. You would have to mark it's position or measure it at full axle extention and then remove it to check how much the joint was still engaged.
The use of flange spacers works, but is not ideal since this tightens the angles at the universals and stresses them. It's far better to lenghten the shaft (professionally of course).

Hope that helps. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Andy, Andrew and Simoan.. What more is left for me to say??

I drove my previous Hilux (Boggom) with axle moved forward 35mm to accommodate 33" tyres, without lengthening the propshaft. This was with stock suspension. When I fitted the OME suspension , however, it became necessary to lengthen the propshaft. This was done at an engineerig place who also balanced it. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sorry guys I must actually still get round to doing that article... :wth: :wth: :wth:
Thys de Jager

Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Andy, I understand that the holes are offset from a straight "parallel" axle reference to allow for road camber, but, that would mean that the original holes are like that. Therefore if you are re-drilling new holes for the axle move, then you have to move each hole by 35mm from its original position. If not, you will either increase the axle parallelism, or reduce it, affecting the road camber compensation either more or less than standard, not so??

Another question, do you need wheel spacers to fit 33x12.5x15, or do the tyres clear the body and suspension at full steering lock? I would be fitting these tyres to 8J Pro-White steel rims.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

As long as the rims you are using has a nice negative offset (deep dish) the tyres will clear the suspension and other goodies at full lock. I drove with 33"s on normal 7J pro-white rims and they touched the suspension at full lock. I remedied that by fitting rims with negative offset and problem solved. :thumbup: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Andrew, if you don't have any steering issues like pulling to the left, then drill the new holes at 30 or 35mm both sides. Should be fine. I was just trying to explain in response to you query, the reasoning as I undestand it, why a difference was suggested. Personally I would go with the different measurements, but if you need reassurance, it's easy enough to check with your friendly local wheel alignment centre. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

I am thinking of pressing out the rubber bushes from the torque arm when I do the mod.

Anybody got any ideas where I can get replacement rubber bushes ??

Am thinking of going the left/right threaded "turnbuckle" mod route, but using a solid steel hex bar and then boring it through on the lathe and tapping a left and right thread in it. This will give a nice outer hex face to use a spanner on to adjust it.

Nickle plate everthing for corrosion and so it looks good :wink:

Hex bar material something like this pic
MAXDRILL_Hollow_Drill_Steel_Bar.jpg
MAXDRILL_Hollow_Drill_Steel_Bar.jpg (47.17 KiB) Viewed 8654 times
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Sifu-Lux wrote:I am thinking of pressing out the rubber bushes from the torque arm when I do the mod.

Anybody got any ideas where I can get replacement rubber bushes ??

Am thinking of going the left/right threaded "turnbuckle" mod route, but using a solid steel hex bar and then boring it through on the lathe and tapping a left and right thread in it. This will give a nice outer hex face to use a spanner on to adjust it.

Nickle plate everthing for corrosion and so it looks good :wink:

Hex bar material something like this pic
The attachment MAXDRILL_Hollow_Drill_Steel_Bar.jpg is no longer available

Andrew

You must press out the rubber bushes if you're gonna cut and weld the knuckles anyway. :shock:

They are pretty easy to remove as the bushes are wrapped in a split collet so you will NOT damage them whilst removing and re-inserting them. :P

Just use a hydraulic press and a drift over the steel core or outer collet :wink:

Did you see the Article Mud Dog posted on the Adjustable Torque Rod idea :?:

I followed up on his idea and built a very successful Adjustable Torque Rod from a Merc' Tie Rod and the knuckles off a Hilux Torque Rod - adjustment range allows for the forward axle move too :thumbup: :mrgreen:
Attachments
The Dirt Dog T Rod 2000 on DadzToy.jpg
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Good to know the bushes have split outer collets. The spare torque rod I have is off an '87 double cab, so I hope the rubber bushes are still OK after 22 years :shock: Will inspect when I strip. Maybe go and do that just now.

If I need to do a body lift, has the petrol filler hose got any slack in it, or must it be loosened, moved up and then re-tightened? Can you get to the rubber filler hose clamps without removing the load body?
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Sifu-Lux wrote: If I need to do a body lift, has the petrol filler hose got any slack in it, or must it be loosened, moved up and then re-tightened? Can you get to the rubber filler hose clamps without removing the load body?

Haven't do a body lift man, my set of 50mm Nylon Spacers are still in their box in the garage :roll:

There's a Topic in the Archives on doing a 50mm body lift on an SFA, try doing a Forum search nê 8 )

Good luck dude :thumbup:

Rich
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Got my butt in gear today and started preparing for the 33"'s.

Got the torque rod cleaned and sandblasted to see whats going on. Rubber bushes still look OK. Whiles that's underway I decided to clean up my spare front prop shaft when I got home tonight. Some engine cleaner, a scraper and a high pressure clean and voila!
Front prop shaft double cardon.JPG
Now, everything feels OK on it, seems to move freely and smoothly. Can this be dis-assembled to inspect the inner double cardon joint? Will lenghtn to suit and balance once the axle is moved.

Placed an order for a set of Kumho 33x12.5x15 KL71's (have to come from Cape Town)

Something like so :D
kl71_37x13_5x20_003_s.jpg

Return to “The Workshop”