Dubai lightning storm

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Dubai lightning storm

Post by Mud Dog »

Friends sent us these pics of a lightning storm that lasted a little over ½ an hour on the night of 28 March. Thunder rolled continuously amid the light display. The tower is the Burj Dubai, tallest in the world. Pics are reduced in size for forum compatibility.
Niel, lightning is another fantastic photographic subject, time lapse exposure of course.
Dubai lightning01.jpg
Dubai lightning02.jpg
Dubai lightning03.jpg
Dubai lightning04.jpg
Dubai lightning05.jpg
Dubai lightning06.jpg
Last edited by Mud Dog on Tue May 05, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Re: Dubai lightning storm

Post by Mud Dog »

Part two ......
Dubai lightning07.jpg
Dubai lightning08.jpg
Dubai lightning08.jpg (23.67 KiB) Viewed 2051 times
Dubai lightning09.jpg
Dubai lightning10.jpg
Dubai lightning10.jpg (20.34 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
Dubai lightning11.jpg
Dubai lightning11.jpg (20.32 KiB) Viewed 2051 times
Interesting to say the least.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Joshua
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 KZ-TE 4x4

Post by Joshua »

:clap: Stunning photographs. I wonder if this building has been designed to take this kind of punishment on a continual basis, or if there has been some damage from this storm.
Makes me think of a Kalahari Thunderstorm, one night in October 2008, next to Lesholoagi pan, in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, Botswana.
Mensig, nou verlang ek terug.....
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Awesome pics, with my digital it is very difficult to get the timing correct but I have seen a pic where the lightning bolt seems like it hits a rock slightly offshore. We don’t often get the lighting storms in the cape.
bosjakkals
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harrismith
Vehicle: 97 Hilux SFA ,31 BF's, Bullbar,Warn winch, Hunting frame, 2 spare wheels, Long range tank, High lift jack, Gearmax rear locker diff, Suspension unknown but very soft)

Post by bosjakkals »

Thanx Lovely pics :clap:

Glad I was'nt there. :thumbup:

CJ
03 - Cruiser 105 GX
97 - Hilux 2.4 D/C -
05 - Pajero 3.2 DID SWB ( Ma se kar)
01-Prado 3.0 d (Gesien -Geniet - GEROL))
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Niel, with my old 35mm I used to set it up on a tripod with a cable release so as to eliminate movement. With iso 100 (if I could'nt get slower burning film), I would set the aperture right down and the shutter release to manual and keep the shutter open to the count of anywhere between 30 and 40 seconds. Produced some awsome and some weird pics. I'd love a digital that I can alter settings to fully manual or fully auto point and shoot. $$$ £££ (Sigh!)

Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Post by Bushwacker »

Iemand is kwaad vir die spul daar :twisted:
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

my first camera was a pentax k1000 and used asa 100's and took lekker pics with it but the digital's do not have the full manual setting (pitty) Mounted it on th e tripod but with my luck and the few times we have lightning in CT it just did not come together to date :thumbdown:
2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

:thumbup: nice, tx for the pics
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Stunning pics....

Another method to get great lightning pics is to set the camera on a tripod and leave the shutter open with your hand in front of the camera (must be dark out) and just remove you hand when the lightning strikes.... :)

The building is not only the talest building in the world, it seems to be the worlds best attraction (for lightning that is) :twisted:
To God be the glory
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

my first camera was a pentax k1000
I remember the old Ashai Pentax ... a good camera in it's day. Mine was a Minolta (can't remember the model off-hand).
Yeah, I wonder what's up with the digitals, they don't seem to allow time exposures or double (superimposed) exposures, although you can superimpose in Photoshop ... maybe that's what they expect us to do :D:

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Digital SLRS have many of these features, my Canon 350D (baby DSLR) can do manual shutter just like old 35mm SLRs did. Its got to do with the right speed to the memory I think. If you cant right fast enough to the memory card tour "RAM" will be the limitation of the details you capture.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

BenHur wrote:Digital SLRS have many of these features, my Canon 350D (baby DSLR) can do manual shutter just like old 35mm SLRs did. Its got to do with the right speed to the memory I think. If you cant right fast enough to the memory card tour "RAM" will be the limitation of the details you capture.
Never thought about that Ben, but of course it makes sense 'cause it will be writing all the time while the shutter is open. Clever boy! :wink:

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

My 350D uses compact flash (quite fast) and can take about 1 picture per second or so.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

The top line digital SLR's have superfast onboard buffer memory(like RAM), this allows the camera to capture up to 10 frames per second, and up to 110 frames(large jpegs) per cycle... the buffered files are then stored on the memory card, in an asynchronous process... the only issue... a decent body like the latest Canon EOS 1D's can cost anything from R40,000 to R80,000 depending on the features and capabilities of the specific model.

Niel if you are interested in buying a decent compact camera, that will allow you to have full control over the picture-taking process, and generates stunning images... the Canon G10...

I studied Photography for 3 years at tech and spent 12 years in the photography/video industry(2 of those selling photographic gear...35mm, APS and digital)... so I have a little knowledge on camera's... this is the camera I will be buying as soon as finances allow... after that LCD screen...

And all the specs...

http://www.orms.co.za/product.php?a=view&product=1658

B :thumbup:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Both my boets are into photography and have a number of really fancy digitals (mostly Nikon's and Canon's). Some of those units do 3 to 4 frames per sec. :o: I should actually chat with them and see what they recommend and why. :think:

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

can cost anything from R40,000 to R80,000
:shock: :shock: Too rich for me (sigh), Will have to sell the wife :mrgreen: Not that I'd get that much for her, but I'd be able to save that in 6 months to a year! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

BenHur wrote:Digital SLRS have many of these features, my Canon 350D (baby DSLR) can do manual shutter just like old 35mm SLRs did. Its got to do with the right speed to the memory I think. If you cant right fast enough to the memory card tour "RAM" will be the limitation of the details you capture.
The problem with most entry level digital SLR's, like the 350D, is that they produce alot of noise(which translates into grain) when capturing low light long exposure images, this has been an inherint problem of most CCD(close coupled device) sensors used in the vast majority of inexpensive DSLR's... on the expensive digitals like the EOS 5 and 1, they use CMOS(complementary metal–oxide–semiconductor ) sensors, which do not suffer the same noise(grain) issues like a CCD sensor. The latest generation of CCD's have improved immensely with extremely low noise levels, but these more expensive CCD are only employed in pro-sumer models like the Canon G10... and example of a inexpensive camera with a CMOS sensor is the Canon Powershot SX 1 IS, also an excellent camera...

More about CMOS technology:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMOS

More about CCD technology:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge-coupled_device

More about the Canon G10(with price):
http://www.orms.co.za/product.php?a=view&product=1658

More about the Canon Powershot SX 1 IS(with price):
http://www.orms.co.za/product.php?a=view&product=1660

B :Geek:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks for the info Bretton ... a little too much for me to take in right now (the mind is in work mode). Will peruse at leisure this evening. :wink:

Return to “Open Discussion”