ASPW 4WD

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

ASPW 4WD

Post by george »

Have you guys seen the program 4WD from Andrew St P White last night He did a solo up in the Kalahari but he lost a tyre and then abandoned the trip? :roll: He said he do not trust the tyres. The side wall gave in and was shredded without being punctured. :shock: He was just driving in a sand track.IIRC it was BF Goodridge AT.

Anyway it is good to see something different on the Telly.It is not a great show, but is better than Egoli :o:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Buff
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: D-4D Hilux Raider 4x4

Re: ASPW 4WD

Post by Buff »

Yep, what a wally. All that way just to turn around. Wys net hoe raas jou kop as jy alleen en bang is :crazy:
BTW, those were not BF's, they were Bridgestone Geolanders.
Hilux 2.7 Raider D/Cab 4x4
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

BTW, those were not BF's, they were Bridgestone Geolanders.
That is good to know :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Must say he was very nervous.He basically slept in the car
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Buff
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Buff »

LOL... that's an understatement. He certainly won't be following in Kingsley Holgate's footsteps.
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: SFA Hilux 2.2 BFi

Post by Big D »

Bridgestone geolanders? Isnt Geolander, Yokohama? :eh:
'94 lux, 3rz, Dual Tcases, 4.7, Lifted, Locked, 33"
ImageImage

"My worse fear is when i DIE, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I spent on it..."
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Post by Bushwacker »

Big D wrote:Bridgestone geolanders? Isnt Geolander, Yokohama? :eh:
:thumbup:
Buff
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Buff »

:oops: ... okay, let's put it this way then... They were Not BF's :thumbup:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

.. okay, let's put it this way then... They were Not BF's
I think we need to find out what it was then.On another forum I heard someone mentioning Duelers :shh:
I found this pic of his cruiser.Tyres are not to clear
P1030306.JPG
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

ASPW is a tonsil!! :shock:
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Yip def Duelers
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

I think it is the same @#$@$ they had on the Fortuner, General Grabbers something
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Sad to say, it appears that ASPW does not like anything that is not sponsored. If they were Duelers, this would be the very first negative thing I have ever heard about the Bridgestones. During last season's show, Andre Safari raved about them.

Anyway, I have just fitted four of them to White Fang, so :thumbdown: to Mr. White.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Tyres are only as good as it's looked after.

Wrong tyre pressures or not monitoring it regularly is the main cause in the Kalahari where the sand will easily reach 50deg +

Most locals there and in Namibia use truck tyres (750/16 12ply)
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Eric I share your sentiments.I just ordered a set for me. :?
But I am pretty sure it was not Duelers.The re-run is tommorow
4WD- TAKE A DEEP BREATH EPS. 2 16-Oct-09 09:30:00 10:00:00 SuperSport Five
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post by Agteros »

george wrote:It is not a great show, but is better than Egoli :o:
No Egoli is better! :wink:
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Thanks George, I'm not a fan of his, but I have set the VCR to record the program on Friday. Whether I bother watching the rest of the episodes or not largely depends on what I see tomorrow. For a bloke who literally grew up with 4x4s, I'm not impressed with any of his shows at all. I would expect better. This must be the second worst show on TV after Clipz.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Bridgestone Dueller D694.
ImageImage
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Eeeish guys cut the guy some slack he's not such a bad oke. :crazy:

Remember that it's not just him and his VCR there's a Production House calling the shots who rely on Income from Sponsors then there's the Saleable Entertainment Factor and so on and so forth, it's not as clear cut as you'd think. :roll:

Andrew is not that daft believe me. :think:

Interestingly these are the same tyres that caused the Timbuktu to Cape Town Expedition (coincided with the launch of the Fortuner in RSA) to turn around and go back to base to fit Michelins. :shock: :!:

Those tyres are not so lekker nê :shock:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Buff wrote:LOL... that's an understatement. He certainly won't be following in Kingsley Holgate's footsteps.
Just BTW, IIRC Holgate used Cooper STT's. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mud Dog wrote:
Buff wrote:LOL... that's an understatement. He certainly won't be following in Kingsley Holgate's footsteps.
I believe that would be BF's you are referring to... :)
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

CasKru wrote:
Mud Dog wrote:
I believe that would be BF's you are referring to... :)
No, .... Cooper's

See
http://landroversolutions.co.za/index.p ... &Itemid=44

and

http://www.dunlop.co.za/readonly/docs/C ... ochure.pdf
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Interestingly these are the same tyres that caused the Timbuktu to Cape Town Expedition (coincided with the launch of the Fortuner in RSA) to turn around and go back to base to fit Michelins.
Now I (and Eric) am getting worried.

Personally I think he will iritate the cr@p out of me if I go on a trip with him,but I do salute him :thumbup:
He is doing full time what some of us dream about.So good to him.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

He is doing full time what some of us dream about.So good to him
I fully agree George! :thumbup:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

I will still recommend his first book and DVD to anybody. There he teaches 4x4 basics and he teaches it well m2cw
To God be the glory
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

CasKru wrote:I will still recommend his first book and DVD to anybody. There he teaches 4x4 basics and he teaches it well m2cw
Like most things the Original Production was the best, thereafter the pressures of Commercial Ventures and influence of others downstream turn good things meadiocre.... as Robbie sings... Let me Entertain You :roll:

One on one he's a super guy and if you ever get the chance to hear one of his Lecture's you'll see a very different side to the one the Sponsors and Producers show you :wink:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

It is Bridgstone Duelers A/T. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: Now I am starting to think twice about ordering my set :problem:
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

george wrote:It is Bridgstone Duelers A/T. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: Now I am starting to think twice about ordering my set :problem:

Yeah I tuned in too George to double check for you, deffo Bridgestone Dueler A/T :wth:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

george wrote:It is Bridgstone Duelers A/T. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: Now I am starting to think twice about ordering my set :problem:
I'll have to see check the program tonight (recorded it this morning) to give my opinion. I'm not sure what he said about the tyre but my guess the reason he turned back was that he had only one spare and did not want to tempt fate and not because he did not like the tyre.

The comment was made above that AdV raved about the Bridgestones. Yes that is true but to keep it in perspective, he is sponsored by Bridgestone.

PS: My brother toured the richtersveld, namib etc (8000km) in his Pajero and Conquerer offroad trailer and both of these vehicles had the Duelers fitted and he did not have one puncture.
To God be the glory
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

George, I posted the question about new AT tyres on three forums and by far the consensus was to fit the Dueler 694 tyres. The tyre Dealer agreed, yet they were not that expensive and he stood to make more out of BFG KM2 from me. But I don't really need MT on White Fang, as that is more my touring vehicle.

The old Cooper HT tyres did me well too, only problem ever was a thorn puncturing the sidewall - but those horrid little white thorns would probably do that to practically any tyre - and they were a bit wanting on grip on sloping rocks. But they managed Sani Pass, Zeerust and Berakah without any problems.

I watched the taped episode about an hour ago, they were definitely D694s but it did appear that he ran the specific tyre very flat, as can be seen from the photos he showed during his lunch break before the side walls gave in.

All in all, I have never heard anything bad said about the Dueler D694s except from ASPW, and I think he over-played it a bit too.

-F_D

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Okay... now my "professional" :twisted: :twisted: opinion. As Eric stated above, He ran that specific tyre extremely flat due to a slow puncture I suppose. When he realised that the tyre was flat it was to late due to the extreme heat in the parts of Africa he was travelling. But put that all aside.

Those that watch the show might remember that right in the beginning of the episode he tells of his "race" to make it in time to the camp before they close. He said the road in begin was a nice tar road which became increasingly worse as he got closer to the camp and closer to closing time. As he put it, he had to "gun" it over extremely bas surfaces. He talked about how everything rattled etc.

My guess is that in the racing to get to the gate in time, he hit an extremely bad pothole which did some damage which was maybe not notable at the time. And then when he drove with the overly deflated tyre this damage just got worse and let to the premature failure of the side wall. M1RW
To God be the glory
esajoda
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Isuzu D/C 2.8 & Toyota D/C 3.0 KZ-TE

Post by esajoda »

IMHO, wrong tyre pressures(to low) will damage any tyre like that, the way the sides where cut could only have been caused by the sides of the rim.
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

I agree Cassie. Something happened, that ASPW is not telling us.
ImageImage
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

I was going to post a topic here on the forum. This was regarding my recent trip to Kgalakadi. It was regarding tyres and the amount they bulge. The 3 tyres we had on 3 different Hiluxes were BF Goodrich TA/KO AT and Bridgestone Deulers 694 AT and my Cooper Discovery ST. But having seen this thread I thought it would be of interest to include it.

We all let our tyres down to about 1.5 bar but what I noticed was that the Deulers and BF Goodrich's bulged a lot more then the Coopers. Infact I was able to let mine down a lot lower then the rest before it looked like the others. I went to about 0.8bar and only then dit it resemble the other 2 tyres. I'm sure the different loads of the 3 vehicles could of made some difference but I was only comparing the front tyres which should have not really been effected by the load in the rear. The BF Goodrich bulged the most with the Bridgestones not far behind.

I quote from Mud Dog's posting further up this thread http://landroversolutions.co.za/index.p ... &Itemid=44 The Cooper Discoverer S/T and STT is designed to maximise traction in mud and sand surfaces. It features a deep, wide tread pattern and a straighter, stiffer sidewall to minimise the risk of sidewall damage and punctures in severe off-road conditions.

Maybe the Bridgestone and BF Goodrich should not be aired down a lot, just a thought.

I don't have my truck with me because it in the process of being EFI'd but what I wanted to do was take a picture of my tyre at say 2 Bar and then again at 1 Bar to see the differende. Maybe a measurment of the tread contact could be included by pushing a sheet of paper in front of the tyre and one behind the tyre and measuring the different readings at different preassures. This could make an interesting topic if someone wants to start it I will include my findings when I get my truck back.

Who is up to it?
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
Wayne
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 4x4

Post by Wayne »

Heres my 2c worth,
I watched the episode and noted the following:
Before he started out in the morning he lowered his tyre pressure to 1.5 bar. (As we all do before going in soft sand)
Then later in the day when he had been driving for awhile he checked his tyre pressure and the tyres were at 1.8 bar (No suprise there, the tyres a warmed up)
BUT then he lowers them back down to 1.5 bar (This I find odd, you only check and set your tyre pressure when cold)
This means his now Cold tyre pressure is probably 1.2 - 1.3 bar.
Add to that a slow leak that was not picked up and guaranteed the sidewall is going to overheat.

Comments?

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”