VW Polo 1.8i - Cooling Problems

Of course there are people who only dream about driving a Hilux or Cruiser. They are welcome to show us their current vehicles here, ask questions or post some exciting new releases.
Dadz Toy BFI

VW Polo 1.8i - Cooling Problems

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

I'm hoping someone here can help me work out what's wrong with my Nannies Car please, I don't know this motor at all.

The motor is overheating in bumper to bumper traffic but not at normal cruising speed. :?

The fan is kicking in just fine and there's ample and correct coolant in the system.

When you turn off the motor coolant boils up out of the filler bottle's overflow. :confused: :?

Any one experienced this please :?:
Attachments
VW Polo Coolant Bottle.jpg
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: VW Polo 1.8i - Cooling Problems

Post by Mr_B »

Yip, had one of these... common issues:

- Blockages in the radiators(I had to replace my Polo's radiator once, cause it cracked)
- Broken impeller on the water pump, also common at about 165000 Km
- Stuck thermostat

One of the easiest tests is, as the engine heats up feel the temp of the inlet pipe from the block to radiator(usually top one), it should heat up quite quickly, then as the engine get to normal temp the bottom rad outlet should also start getting warm, by the time the elec fan kicks in the top and bottom pipe should be about the same temp, then as the fans runs the top pipe should stay hot and to bottom pipe should cool down a bit. Make sure you have no loose clothing on when doing this check, else it and your head could get snagged :shock: If the top and bottom pipe do not heat up(even after the temp needle has reach full operating temp), then I would suspect the pump; if only the top pipe heats up, even after the fan has kicked in, then the thermostat may be stuck closed; if, once the fan has come on for the first time(top and bottom pipes are hot), the fan stays on long 1-2 minutes(ambient temp 27deg or so), and only cuts out for short intervals, 30 seconds, then I would suspect dirty blocking channels in the radiator.

I remember my VW mech friend telling me the VW engines do not like any other coolant but the red one marked G12, I would also check with your nanny whether it has been topped up with coolant or water, if water only over a long time then the coolant will get diluted to the point where it is no longer adequate to keep the boiling point high.

Hope this chunk of data helps!

B
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

IIRC the coolent reservior tank cap has G12 coolant only stamped on it??

B
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

In all my years of driving VW's I have never ran the engines on the coolant they specify, generally only water.
And I can honestly say that bar the usual issues of buggered thermostat, leaking water pump or shot fan switch, I have had no problems.

My first guess would be the same as Bretton, Thermostat. The boiling over into the expansion tank is a classic sign that the water is not flowing through the radiator and it has n place to go but backwards.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Replace the cap

I had this with 2 out of the 6 Golfs/Golfbakkies I owned. At the time the cap was only R100.
On one of the vehicle it was the thermostat which I sommer gooid out, I sold that particular golf 10 years later with 350,000 on the clock and still the original engine so the lack of a thermostat did not kill it.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

The top and bottom hoses are doing what they are supposed to do (getting hot etc) :confused:

The only "funny" I have found so far is that the rubber O-ring is missing off the pressure bottle cap :problem:

The water is purging out through the overflow which is below the cap, do you think that the cap o-ring missing might be a factor Pieter :?: :?:
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Definitely Rich and if my memory serves me right a normal standard O-ring will not fit but I think VW do sell the O-rings separately.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

If it's just the o ring, then just replace it... If the cap is defect please get the original one, my experience with later model Polo/Golf is that the pirate plastic caps on the reservior are rubbish, only the genuine one works 100%. Also put a little grease on the cap thread, those caps managed to get moerse tight over time!

B
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

only the genuine one works 100%
Agree
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Thanks heaps guys :thumbup: , finally I feel like I'm getting somewhere, this problem has had me scratching my head nê :wink:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:Thanks heaps guys :thumbup: , finally I feel like I'm getting somewhere, this problem has had me scratching my head nê :wink:

Hmmm Rich... from the looks of your new Avatar, I can see what it's done to you... :mrgreen:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Soutie, you did not report back.
Has your Nanny's leak being fixed?

Return to “Other Vehicles”