My 1983 Suzuki SJ410

Of course there are people who only dream about driving a Hilux or Cruiser. They are welcome to show us their current vehicles here, ask questions or post some exciting new releases.
Ramkat
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Kokstad KZN
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8 GD6, Prado VX 3.0D4D

My 1983 Suzuki SJ410

Post by Ramkat »

I've had it for about a month, bought it for the wife to mess around with on the farm, but it is so capable that I've been playing with it more and more. Lots of small jobs to do on bodywork, but mechanically sound.I've reconditioned the rims so far, and most of the interior.
Attachments
DSC05108.JPG
DSC05115.JPG
DSC05115.JPG (23.76 KiB) Viewed 5288 times
DSC05119.JPG
DSC05119.JPG (18.3 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 3.0L Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: Xray05

Re: My 1983 Suzuki SJ410

Post by Gertc »

Did you paint or powder coat?
2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

:thumbup: very neat, hope you enjoy it more and more, warning once the bug bites you can never get rid of it. :lol:
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
bosjakkals
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harrismith
Vehicle: 97 Hilux SFA ,31 BF's, Bullbar,Warn winch, Hunting frame, 2 spare wheels, Long range tank, High lift jack, Gearmax rear locker diff, Suspension unknown but very soft)

Post by bosjakkals »

Very nice and YES very very capable

CJ
03 - Cruiser 105 GX
97 - Hilux 2.4 D/C -
05 - Pajero 3.2 DID SWB ( Ma se kar)
01-Prado 3.0 d (Gesien -Geniet - GEROL))
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Those little Zooks were'nt too bad, hey. One of my swaers had one and it really shaped up. Their biggest problem here on the coast was rust, ... plenty of it!
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Ramkat
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Ramkat »

Gertc wrote:Did you paint or powder coat?
All painted on rims, it doesn't go very fast, so I'm not concerned about paint chipping on gravel roads. It will climb anywhere as long as jou can keep the nose down.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

They also have a tendency to roll (sideways) because of the relatively narrow track.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
HannesCreamsoda
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Sasolburg
Vehicle: Landi Series 3

Post by HannesCreamsoda »

My vrou vir vir haarself ook een gekoop so maand terug.....lekker capable voertuig.
As ek nie daarheen kan ry nie, is dit nie die moeite werd om daarheen te gaan nie..............
Muz
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.4 Raider, Suzuki SJ413, Landcruiser FJ40

Post by Muz »

I've got the SJ413. very good little 4x4, going to MOZ with it at the end of the month.
Ramkat
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Ramkat »

You guys must also post pics of your Suzuki's. Any modifications done?
Muz
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.4 Raider, Suzuki SJ413, Landcruiser FJ40

Post by Muz »

Will post pics of the Moz trip-definately! No Mods, runs pretty well as is. May need to make some recovery points.
HannesCreamsoda
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Sasolburg
Vehicle: Landi Series 3

Post by HannesCreamsoda »

Ramkat wrote:You guys must also post pics of your Suzuki's. Any modifications done?
Only modified the bullbar and redid the seats.

Wife is saving for a set of 30" BFG's or Maxxi's and a rollcage from Throttleboy.Hopefully by august the car should be ready for her first competition.
As ek nie daarheen kan ry nie, is dit nie die moeite werd om daarheen te gaan nie..............
simonbruton
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: KZN
Vehicle: 1964 Willys CJ3B

Post by simonbruton »

I sold my Suzuki SJ410 to buy my current hilux about 9 months ago. The suzuki was my first 4x4 but my family has a history with hilux 4x4's so the only reason I bought it was because I couldn't afford a hilux yet. I managed to get a good price for it last year so only had to put in about R3K to get my hilux - but the hilux needed a lot of work when I got it and is still a work-in-progress!

I really enjoyed the Suzuki. When researching the Suzuki on the net before buying it I read a lot (all from the US) about them being a rollover hazard. I found mine to be very stable, with the worn, sagged flat springs and stiff suspension it handled corners like a mini, in the dry I could not get it to understeer or oversteer and it cornered like it was on rails.

Off road it was great fun to hop, skim and bounce over challenging obstacles while other larger 4x4's sunk in or had too much weight to pull up wet or slippery slopes - often made a fool out of bigger 4x4's. I miss its agility and manuoverability off road and the great visibility over the bonnet. What I dont miss is the incredibly harsh and bouncy ride and the lack of power (and space)(Yes they are slower and more bouncy than even a SFA 4Y!!!)

Pictured below is one of its many shining moments, only a few of which were captured on film:

I'll try past the youtube video but if it doesnt work then got to the link below - I'm new to youtube

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qpqT0C62xoA&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qpqT0C62xoA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpqT0C62xoA
Simon
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

OK, if I never actually saw it... :clap:

Would love to post this on the Cruiser forum, but if I don't behave myself there, I will be suitably chastised :mrgreen:

Simon, you need to load the video on to Photobucket and then link from there for it to show here in Flash Video mode.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

simonbruton
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by simonbruton »

Thanks F_D

Will try that next time - this stuff gets complicated! And I thought I was good with computers

I am a hilux and Cruiser fan, my stepbrother sold his Hilux 22R SFA to buy this cruiser double cab. It is great for safari trips and can pull a house down, but a heavy, long, unwieldly beast for 4x4 playing - it is often the first to get stuck. But that 4.2D non turbo 6cyl is beautiful - so smooth and quiet you hardly realise it is a diesel. Bit slow on the freeway though - my 2.2 has slightly longer legs.

I'm looking forward to cruiser fans and non-fans finding it on Youtube!
Simon
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

If the cruiser also had tyre chains he would'nt have got stuck. Chains make the world of difference. I've actually been looking to buy some again, sold mine many, many years ago (like a fool).

Buff
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: D-4D Hilux Raider 4x4

Post by Buff »

Brilliant little vehicles :clap: . I've had 2 x SJ410's in the past and loved them both. The only thing that gave me grief in all the years I had them was a clutch that packed up on the beach in Port Alfred (the days before the beach ban). First upgrade on a 410 is normally a leather kidney belt :D: .
My Mother has just bought herself a Jimny and I had the opportunity to put it through its paces in the Transkei while on a recent fishing trip. I was very impressed with it. Much more refined than the 410 but just as capable. The advantage of the Jimny is that you're able cruise at 120km/h. Try that in the 410 and the motor wants to climb out and sit next to you :wink:
Hilux 2.7 Raider D/Cab 4x4
simonbruton
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by simonbruton »

Chains do make a massive difference, even though I only had on the rear that day, I could play around and drive anywhere or up anything while the other vehicles slithered cautiously about trying to stay on the road and not taking any chances.

Mud dog you must be kicking yourself for getting rid of those chains, they are ridiculously expensive now. I bought them at a car boot sale 3 years ago for about R20 each completely unused - the only 2 he had. Unfortunately they dont fit the hilux but probably will fit my Willys Jeep, havn't tried them yet.

At work I got stuck for over an hour in a 2wd KZTE on a steep, angled clay farm road. The standard jack was useless compared to a high lift and everything we tried to put under the wheels just got spun out (including the floor mats and rubber mat from the bin!) I was crying for chains or a high lift. It made me try think of a cheap way to make chains ( my boss would never buy any). I was wondering if a very thick rope could be plaited and joined into a similar configuration - obviously only suitable for short distances or getting out of a sticky spot.

The Jimny must be good, would love to try one. I am impressed that they stayed with solid axles with coils springs - that is what separates it from a Panda and other Suzuki wanna-bee's
Simon
Clarence
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Pipe Car

Post by Clarence »

Fit a set of ford F250 rims then you can fit a 31" tyres just cut the front bumper. Better stability because of the offset.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Simon, rope ladders would be useless. Knotting the 'rungs' would'nt work, they'd just slip, so would have to be spliced in to the side rail ropes. A lot of work and then they'd be ripped to shreds in no time at all. You're so right about kicking myself (my bum is blue alll over again), but it was at a time when I was'nt off-roading and they just lay around. :(

simonbruton
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by simonbruton »

OK, M_D thats a challenge. When I next get a gap (which might be months away!) I will try make some and see if they work. They would be lighter than chains but more bulky to store.
Simon

Return to “Other Vehicles”