GWM

Of course there are people who only dream about driving a Hilux or Cruiser. They are welcome to show us their current vehicles here, ask questions or post some exciting new releases.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

GWM

Post by pietpetoors »

Have you seen this new Chinese GWM bakkies?
The nose is ex-Nissan, front doors to the rear ex-Isuzu but most of all:
The engine and chassis is an old 2.2l 4Y Toyota motor WITH FUEL INJECTION.
This might be a source for fuel injection systems for all those 4Y Toyotas.

The one report I read tonight in a local magazine they loaded it with 850Kg an drove around for a week. The average consumption apparently was 8.5Km/l

Selling cheap vehicles is one thing, but if that cheap vehicle is reliable it will be good competition and hopefully we will see car prices coming down. We pay almost 100% more than countries like America.

see http://www.gwm.co.za/
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

GWM.co.za

Post by pietpetoors »

I talked to the owner of the Saldanha Branch. Apparently they will launch the 4x4 version of the bakkie and the SUV at the end of September.

I surely hope that good competition like these will force the big brother clan of vehicle manufacturers in South Africa to reduce their ridiculous prices.
If you go to http://www.toyota.com you will see that you can buy a Cruiser there for about half the price than in South Africa and keep in mind that the dealer in the US also makes his profit.

We are getting ripped off big time in South Africa. Although I might not like the Chinese vehicles, I welcome their competition in our market.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Re: GWM

Post by Niel »

I was asked the following question this morning:

Will the GWC motors fit in the old SFA 2.2/2.4/2.8 if so is there any mods requirred?
xuliH
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by xuliH »

From what I have heard the engines are only copies of the Toyota engine and is not the real deal.
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I guess that engine is the same as the Chinese import motors that you can buy in South Africa. A replica of the 4y. So if you the Chinese motor you buy from midas will fit I cannot see why that one won't fit. I think they are too young in the country yet to know for sure.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Nothing wrong with the Chinese 4Y engine. Apparently, the Chinese bought the moulds for the engine form Toyota (or so I'm told) and provided they use the same good quality (SA!) steel, there engines should be as good. I'm perfectly happy with mine anyway, apart from the rather messy Chinese carburettor. Here, you would be advised to either fit a Golf Carb or a Weber (or an EFI!!!).

If you want to fit this engine into a SFA, you will have to change one engine mount, the starter (the Chinese one has a nipple on it that catches) and probably the fan as well (different shape blades). Other than that, it's a perfect fit.

Physically, the engines from Midas and GWM appear to be absolutely identical.
4YEN1.JPG

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Coopraider
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Muizenberg
Vehicle: 97 2.8 D

Post by Coopraider »

Hi FD

I spent some time examining the two CCC Cheap Cheerful Chinese motors on display at the local Auto Zone - If my diesel gives me any grief it gets junked and in goes one of those - for 7G you cant go wrong.
Complete motor with starter, alternator, carb, distributor - what a pleasure.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

I was told that the motors were fuel injected. Got this from their site "The vehicles are all equipped with tried and trusted Japanese technology in the form of the torquey 2,237cc 4 cylinder, multi-point fuel injected (MPFI) engine.

With the MPFI will it not make this motor lighter on petrol or rather more fuel economical that the carburettor versions (older existing motors)?
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

GWM in Saldanha loaded one with 600Kg and traveled round for more than a week with it. Mixed open/town driving. They got average of 8km/l. My Neighbor bought a D/C this wekend, will ask him what his consumption is.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

So it seems that the guys with 4Ys need to keep an eye out and an ear to the ground for info on the fuel management systems and injection. I wonder what it would cost from GWM for a "kit", ie if they would sell it like that, which Im sure they would.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Perhaps we must contact their spares department and ask what a complete system would cost?
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I've just tried phoning them, Sales answered the phone within three seconds, but couldn't transfer me to the Workshop. After eventually getting the W/shop's phone number, it rang for two and a half minutes, and then I gave up.

Not good, GWM :cry:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I gave their Randburg Branch a ring and told them what I wanted. I am now awaiting a reply with hopefully a list and prices, that's if they know what they are talking about.

Lets hope. :?

Return to “Other Vehicles”