Mobile Radio Antennas

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Mobile Radio Antennas

Post by Family_Dog »

I'm always harping about my preference for the Quarter-Wave VHF Antenna. The ones we normally use are supplied by Motorola and technical data, as well as mounting instructions, are detailed in the PDF enclosures.

The antenna is slightly kinder towards frequencies separated by a wide gap, as is the case with the two ORRA VHF frequencies. The base is a rounded chrome nut, the whip is made of thin stainless steel. The antenna looks neat and works extremely well. The only disadvantage is that it has to be mounted on the cab roof, as reasonably central as possible. This, then, rules out the use of a roof rack, in which case you will have to make use of a pillar-mount antenna such as the Zara130.

ASPJ1410 Pic.jpg

Technical Data:
ASPJ1410.pdf
(112.41 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Family_Dog

Re: Mobile Radio Antennas

Post by Family_Dog »

Installation and other details:

Motorola TAD Antenna Mount.pdf
(1.28 MiB) Downloaded 64 times

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Is this the one that is installed on my bakkie Eric?
To God be the glory
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

The very same one, Cassie! Also on Bulldog, PraDog and HounDog.

White Fang has two antennas installed, which are shared between three radios, so I had to use the swivel mount for him.

-F_D

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Thanks Eric...

For those who wonder how it looks like on the bakkie...
IMG_0600.JPG
To God be the glory
DougN

29Mhz mag mount antenna test.

Post by DougN »

Eric gave me the opportunity recently to test one of his new magnetic mount 29Mhz antennas so I duly plonked it on the Ranger & scooted off to Botsalano Game Reserve for the weekend.

The tests were not scientific but rather practical and under "normal" working conditions.

The mag mount, mounts quite solidly and survived a few arguments with branches etc so has quite a strong magnet built in. The cable comes with radio connector pre-installed so it is quite simply plug & play and the cable length seems to be just about perfect. In the Ranger, the mount was situated dead centre of roof, in line with the B pillar and the cable came across the roof, through the door, down next to the seat belt and then under the passenger seat to the radio that was mounted on the left of the front console, no slack to worry about.

The antenna whip is about 500mm shorter than the std 29Mhz antennas that have the load just above the spring and on the whip itself. In this case, the load is in the base so it is quite compact.

In terms of signal strength, as this was a test unit, it wasn't set-up & trimmed for optimal performance, I just unpacked it it and plugged it in. In Botsalano, the terrain is not particularly hilly but it is by no means flat and 3km range was easily obtainable with the other party having a suspect radio installation and a suction cup antenna installed. transmissions from my side were heard clearly with minimal static, and received further than I could hear their responses.

Out on the open road where it tended to be a bit flatter, a 5km speech range was achieved.

All in all, for those people who want a temporary installation or who dont want to drill holes in their vehicles, one of these antenna, trimmed to performance perfection would be a very good option.

As with all magnetic mount antennas, it would be a good idea to clean the area you are going to mount the antenna first and then put a very thin cloth between the antenna & the roof just to prevent scratching.

In the first pic the mag mount is shown, this includes the load and as can be seen, the whip just slides into the stand and is secured by a grub screw. The second pic is the full antenna monted on the ranger's roof.

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”