Garmin GPS Map 62S what can it do

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bethal MP
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8 4x4 AT extended cab.
Club VHF Licence: X84

Garmin GPS Map 62S what can it do

Post by Rollercoaster639 »

Hope someone can help me with this. I have a Nuvi 715 with the Southern Africa map set, Middle East map set and T4Africa on its SD card. The unit, which is my 3rd one crashes / freezes every now and again. It also stops navigating sometimes. (even with the T4 Africa SD card removed )

So now I am looking for a completely new unit which I can install only T4A on. I want to be able to down load my planned routes on, and also save my POI which I can at a later stage upload to my laptop. It would also be nice to upload the actual route driven but I dont know if any of the units can do this.

I had a look at the 1410 and 500 Nuvi which I think will be able to do this.(Not sure of uploading the actual route driven) While I was looking at the units the sales person showed me a handheld / portable unit ..GPS MAP62 S. He said it would be able to do all that I want and more. He was not very convincing when I started to ask him some questions.

Is there anyone who can give me some more info about this unit. (GPS MAP62 s)..thanks.

ps: He also showed me a Nuvi 3790 for about R3k. Dont know what it can do but looked very nice..almost like an apple Itouch.

For those of you who are curious the price of the Nuvi 1410 is R2K but has the middle east mapset on.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Garmin GPS Map 62S what can it do

Post by OOOOMS »

What do you do to unfreeze it?

Was it bought in SA?

I had a unit that constantly froze, took it directly to Avnic Trading, complained and they gave me an upgraded unit at no charge, only had to pay for the latest map update.

The 62 s as you know is a handheld unit, very nice with lots of features imho a bit small (screen) and is difficult to drive and navigate with it. Try entering ie an address without a stylis.

The 3790 looks pretty funky but a bit fancy for a 4x4 more for something like a slk

Anyway...a bit off topic!
Wonder if they have streetmaps for the 500 pilot? I like this unit http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/6743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Raider SFA met 7M-GE engine

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

Speak to Kevin Bolton at 0825643639 or 0126548319 and let us know. They are in Pta.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Barry, you should not have more than one mapset loaded into your 715. Rather load the one you use most into your 715 memory and then the rest on to individual SD cards which you can plug as you desire. Update the 715 firmware using Garmin's Webupdater.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bethal MP
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8 4x4 AT extended cab.
Club VHF Licence: X84

Post by Rollercoaster639 »

OOOOMS wrote:What do you do to unfreeze it?

Was it bought in SA?

I had a unit that constantly froze, took it directly to Avnic Trading, complained and they gave me an upgraded unit at no charge, only had to pay for the latest map update.

The 62 s as you know is a handheld unit, very nice with lots of features imho a bit small (screen) and is difficult to drive and navigate with it. Try entering ie an address without a stylis.

The 3790 looks pretty funky but a bit fancy for a 4x4 more for something like a slk

Anyway...a bit off topic!
Wonder if they have streetmaps for the 500 pilot? I like this unit http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/6743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
@Mark
The original one was bought in South Africa, it then packed up and I was given another one with 1/2 cash payment. It then packed up again in Kuwait and was once again replaced with 1/2 payment. So the one I have now is from Kuwait. As far as resetting it: I just have to switch the power off and sometimes I have reset it buy pushing in the corners while pushing the on/off button.
@Erik.
Yip, I have T4A on a separate SD card, The middle east was pre- installed on the unit. I only installed Southern Africa on it and according to Garmin there should be no problem.
@Bulletjie
Very expensive for me to phone South Africa and discuss GPS issues....cheaper to buy a new one than phone.. :D:

Would still like to know if that GPS Map 62s can do all what I want
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Did you get another unit and if so I would be interested which one?

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”