What headlight globes to buy ?

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

What headlight globes to buy ?

Post by jacques kotze »

I know this is a topic already discussed, But what would be the best globes to fit in my Vigo, Nightbraker, Osram or what?
Thanks. :thumbup:
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Re: What headlight globes to buy ?

Post by Traveler »

Jacques, I am very happy with Osram's Nightbreaker PLUS.

Lasts longer than the 1st Generation Nightbreaker.

Know what you don't know.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

I currently have Hella's equivalent to the Nightbreaker plus. I think their Daymakers but about R100 cheaper and I'm happy with them

They look similar to this
To God be the glory
Sebata
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cosmo City
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds
Club VHF Licence: X125

Post by Sebata »

i'm happy with the Osram Nightbreaker plus :thumbup:
Tau Sello
Sebata, Lion enjoys hunting with Hynas...
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Also happy with Osram Nightbreaker, been in for approx. 12 months now. @ R119.00 a set :thumbup:
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

So there you have it: Nightbreaker Plus :thumbup:
I'm on Osram Silverstars which aren't as good as the Nightbreakers but come close, going for almost 2 yrs now.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

Thanks for all you're input, makes it easier for me :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

As mentioned, the Silverstars are not far off from the Night-breakers ... you'll hardly notice the difference. For me, reliability is important and the Silverstars way outlast the Night-breakers, so there'sless chance of them failing me when I really need them. As it is I get flashed by on-coming traffic from time to time while still on dips, and that in itself can be a little irritating, but if it's the performance you're looking for at all costs, then ja, go for the 'breakers'. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

Got me a set of Nightbreakers from Autozone Yesterday, already been installed, very happy with them. Thanks for all the input :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

jacques kotze wrote:Got me a set of Nightbreakers from Autozone Yesterday, already been installed, very happy with them. Thanks for all the input :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Their performance is really good, and their price has dropped dramatically in the past 2 years.

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Just did a quick price check with AutoZone .... (Trade price per set)

Cool Blue ............... R 117.00
Silver Star .............. R 85.00 (current special offer)
N-Breaker Plus ........ R 127.49

Gonna go get a spare set of S-Stars.

;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

Andy, consider a spare set of the Nightbreaker Plus. They designed that one to replace the Nightbreaker, and to equal or exceed the lifespan of the Silverstar.

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Traveler wrote:Andy, consider a spare set of the Nightbreaker Plus. They designed that one to replace the Nightbreaker, and to equal or exceed the lifespan of the Silverstar.
Agreed :thumbup: Offtopic :mocking: :mocking:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

OOOOMS wrote:
Traveler wrote:Andy, consider a spare set of the Nightbreaker Plus. They designed that one to replace the Nightbreaker, and to equal or exceed the lifespan of the Silverstar.
Agreed :thumbup: Offtopic :mocking: :mocking:
:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Ja, Swaer, ..... jy behoort daarvan te weet, nê! :laugh2: :laugh2:

OK, so I'll convince myself .... went down to AutoZone and spoke to the manager whom I know well .... asked him about the NightBreakers and their lifespan, but he was unable to tell me .... hadn't really had any complaints either. So I told him I would like to do a comparison of a complete set of new Cool-Blue / Silver-Star / Night-Breaker Plus and was sold these sets for about R80 each to do the comparisons ......

IMG_7381.JPG
IMG_7383.JPG
IMG_7384.JPG
IMG_7385.JPG

I will fit the new bulbs and take pics ... won't use the old ones for the test but might use an old set of standard globes just to get a better comparison.

Will post once done. ;-)

jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

Thanks oom Andy, can't wait to see the difference between them. :thumbup:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I had Cool Blue fitted to Hot Dog, didn't like them at all. Silver Stars are far better and Nightbreakers better still. All my other vehicles have either SS or NBs in.

Andy, unless you post pics, it didn't happen! :twisted:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

chopper

Post by chopper »

Jou windgat :thumbup: :lol: Dis mos hoe dit gedoen word :thumbup: :D:
Racing snake
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Fortuner

Post by Racing snake »

Thanks Andy. Keen to see the result. Us old guys don't see too well at night.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Would have been brilliant if you had a light meter and could measure the output of each light.
To God be the glory
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Here is a test I did in 2010 and still have the same bulbs in my current vehicle :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=12878&hilit=TEST+NIGHT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

OOOOMS wrote:Here is a test I did in 2010 and still have the same bulbs in my current vehicle :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=12878&hilit=TEST+NIGHT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ek wil graag die toets doen tussen die Nightbreakers en die wat ek gekoop het (Hella Daymakers ek dink) want hulle is supposedly helderder as die NB
To God be the glory
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Ek weet mens kan nou nie regtig dit vir iets gebruik nie maar ek het gou die screen shot gevat van my CCTV stelsel by die huis van toe ek vanaand by die huis gekom het. Dit is hoe helder die Hella globes is op dims
Ligte.JPG
To God be the glory
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

CasKru wrote:Ek weet mens kan nou nie regtig dit vir iets gebruik nie maar ek het gou die screen shot gevat van my CCTV stelsel by die huis van toe ek vanaand by die huis gekom het. Dit is hoe helder die Hella globes is op dims
Ligte.JPG
Cool test Cassie :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jou visdam se water kort bietjie kloor.... :mocking: :mocking: :mocking:
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

IMHO ek het al geld gesend op baie verskilende globes en die wat nog altyd die beste was is die gewone Osram Cool Blue's. Jy kan maar die toets self doen sit in wat jy wil in die een en n gewone cool blue in die ander en kyk die verskil, nie eers die nightbreaker kom by die cool blue's nie.
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Spartan wrote:IMHO ek het al geld gesend op baie verskilende globes en die wat nog altyd die beste was is die gewone Osram Cool Blue's. Jy kan maar die toets self doen sit in wat jy wil in die een en n gewone cool blue in die ander en kyk die verskil, nie eers die nightbreaker kom by die cool blue's nie.
Cool Jaco...whatever..... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Jaco, ek vermoed dis daai effe blouerige kleur van di cool blue's wat hulle helederder laat voorkom, .... soos die verskil tussen LED's en gewone "incandescent" lampe. Dit beteken nie dat hulle verder skyn nie. Dit kom nou by cassie se pos .......
CasKru wrote:Would have been brilliant if you had a light meter and could measure the output of each light.
Ja Cas, I thought of that immediately but don't have a light meter any more ..... (I had in the old celluloid photography days). Then I thought what if I set the digital camera on a fixed shutter speed and let it adjust the aperture or vice versa, but even that won't really show up the differences properly because there will still be a lot of difference in the pics themselves. :think:

I also thought of going out onto a quiet, dark farm road that has a reasonably long flat stretch with reference points like trees / road signs etc so that you can see the depth of lighting between the different sets of lamps on the pics (dims and brights), but that's not going to be practical. Firstly being out there alone is a safety risk and secondly it's going to take a lot of time changing between 4 sets of bulbs and taking pics ... especially on the battery side where there is very little room to get in (would have to loosen and move the battery back). Would be better if I had a helper and Swambo is definitely out of the equation ..... Hmmm ..... :think:

Might have to look and see if I can get my hands on a light meter. Any other ideas / suggestions for testing?

jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

Mud Dog wrote:Jaco, ek vermoed dis daai effe blouerige kleur van di cool blue's wat hulle helederder laat voorkom, .... soos die verskil tussen LED's en gewone "incandescent" lampe. Dit beteken nie dat hulle verder skyn nie. Dit kom nou by cassie se pos .......
CasKru wrote:Would have been brilliant if you had a light meter and could measure the output of each light.
Ja Cas, I thought of that immediately but don't have a light meter any more ..... (I had in the old celluloid photography days). Then I thought what if I set the digital camera on a fixed shutter speed and let it adjust the aperture or vice versa, but even that won't really show up the differences properly because there will still be a lot of difference in the pics themselves. :think:

I also thought of going out onto a quiet, dark farm road that has a reasonably long flat stretch with reference points like trees / road signs etc so that you can see the depth of lighting between the different sets of lamps on the pics (dims and brights), but that's not going to be practical. Firstly being out there alone is a safety risk and secondly it's going to take a lot of time changing between 4 sets of bulbs and taking pics ... especially on the battery side where there is very little room to get in (would have to loosen and move the battery back). Would be better if I had a helper and Swambo is definitely out of the equation ..... Hmmm ..... :think:

Might have to look and see if I can get my hands on a light meter. Any other ideas / suggestions for testing?
Oom Andy, If it is to difficult to do the light at the battery side, can't you cover the light at the battery with the passenger side foot mat or something and just do the comparison with the one that is easier to change. Don't think it would be that accurate but I think it would be worth a shot.
Racing snake
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Fortuner

Post by Racing snake »

Very clever idea, Jacques.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I've organised to loan a light meter ..... will do it over the weekend when I have some free time. ;-)

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Might be a good idea to compare the left light with the right one, using two different bulbs.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Family_Dog wrote:Might be a good idea to compare the left light with the right one, using two different bulbs.

-F_D
This I already plan to do for the pics, especially between the SS and NB bulbs and I think it should be done in daylight hours since at night the light will 'wash out' the whole pic ..... maybe try both night and day. :think: Should be interesting. ;-)

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Family_Dog wrote:Might be a good idea to compare the left light with the right one, using two different bulbs.

-F_D
I would rather see the test done on a single light unit with the bakkie parked close to a wall or something solid to which the light meter is then fixed. The reason I think this would be the best method is that you eliminate the most variables this way as you only replace the bulb. The lens, reflector and light meter position stay constant
To God be the glory
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Correct, light meters are very sensitive, even walking 1m past the fixed beam will affect the reading.

Best test is at night in a closed off area like a large garage, fix the light meter to a wall or something similar, vehicle always at idle to get constant voltage reading, then just change the bulb one at a time using only x1 headlight.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I have 2 x tripods .... planned on using one for the light meter and the other for the camera. The idea was precisely that as above .... eliminate the variables. Above and beyond this, taking pics of the different bulbs in one lamp as compared to say a standard bulb in the other could give a better idea of the 'warmth' colour of the light. I suspect that the Cool Blue's will give the brightest colour but not necessarily the most intense or penetrating light. For that I think one needs to do the 'depth' test on a flat section of road.

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mud Dog wrote:I have 2 x tripods .... planned on using one for the light meter and the other for the camera. The idea was precisely that as above .... eliminate the variables. Above and beyond this, taking pics of the different bulbs in one lamp as compared to say a standard bulb in the other could give a better idea of the 'warmth' colour of the light. I suspect that the Cool Blue's will give the brightest colour but not necessarily the most intense or penetrating light. For that I think one needs to do the 'depth' test on a flat section of road.
The more lumen's the further depth... so light meter will do the trick as the beam pattern etc will be the same
To God be the glory

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”