Radio Head Unit replacement

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
tersmit
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville Cape Town
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4x4 4.0 Auto D/C, 185a/h Dual Battery Sistem, 1500w inverter

Radio Head Unit replacement

Post by tersmit »

Hi Guys
I know this topic has been done to death, but i would just like to share some info that i aquired today
I went to SoundMatch in Goodwood to have a Parrot (not an african grey) fitted.
In the shop i noticed they sell the new replacement DVD/Navigation units.
After some good salestalk from Faizel, he conviced me to buy one.
And so with a song in my heart i await for the unit to arrive from another branch.
In the meantime they start to take out my old radio, and starts to remove the pillar covers etc for GPS receiver etc.
Again I am like a little kid that is getting a new toy.
A couple of times i ask the guys there, whether it isGarmin/Garmap Navigation, and i am assured it is. Kwaai, life is good.
I noticed a Land Cruiser VX standing there, with the new DVD/Navigation unit that i am having installed. I get one of the guys to switch it on for me so i can have a look so long.
Much to my surprise....
I does not have Garmap/Gamin MAPS AAAAAHHHHH. It ships with IGO !!!!
Immediately kid with new toy, becomes kid with no new toy. Unhappy.
I walk over to the guys and they apologise, so now, no new radio, and i settle for the Parrot. Life is good again, well as good as can be.
The guy that installed my Parrot did an absolute smashing job, i think is name was Bob or Lyndon.
So i go to pay for the Parrot.
While waiting for the transaction to be processed i explain to Faizel and co, that i actually wanted to load the Tracks4Africa maps onto the system, but unfortunately T4A is only supported on Garmin. Now they tell me, but, the unit they installed on the Cruiser has T4A installed on IGO.
I reckon, nope, cant be, they reckon can be.
Anyway, leave thinking, what do these guys know about T4A and overlanding and stuff.
Couple of minutes ago, i decide to consult the oracle regarding this issue.
Much to my disgust i find out that the new DVD/Navigation Units that ship with IGO GPS software SUPPORTS T4A !!!!!
I have to admit, id really do feel like an idiot.
Spent R2500 on a parrot, and could have spent R5000 on new head unit that does everything, Music, Ipod, MP3, DVD,Reverse Camera, T4A, etc etc etc
SO, for those of you who are looking at replacing your OEM radios for the new VIGO's, know that Tracks4Africa WILL work with the IGO Map Software
So anyone want to buy brand new Parrot :lol: :lol:
KOBUSL
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: WOLSELEY
Vehicle: '96 HILUX 2.8 HILUX DC 3i BMW 540 RANCHERO UTE 4 Li

Re: Radion Head Unit replacement

Post by KOBUSL »

tersmit wrote:Spent R2500 on a parrot, and could have spent R5000 on new head unit that does everything, Music, Ipod, MP3, DVD,Reverse Camera, T4A, etc etc etc
SO, for those of you who are looking at replacing your OEM radios for the new VIGO's, know that Tracks4Africa WILL work with the IGO Map Software
So anyone want to buy brand new Parrot
Will also have a Parrot Mk1900 for sale in a week's time. Does play USB iPod MP3 etc.

Was looking for an in-dash GPS and found none ( that could take Garmin maps ). Installed the Parrot phone kit, and 1 day later found that I could actually fit an universal GPS/DVD unit from Planet made by Caska. (With blu tooth ) Extras include tire pres monitor, reverse camera and even built-in hard drive. ( How big ? ????? ) Plus USB, cards, etc.
Word te vinnig oud en te stadig wys.
tersmit
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville Cape Town
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4x4 4.0 Auto D/C, 185a/h Dual Battery Sistem, 1500w inverter

Post by tersmit »

I must say, the Parrot is very nice, it does, iPod, iPhone,iPad,iPatch, usb, etc etc etc
Very nice unit, but the Radio with EVERYTHING would have been better
KOBUSL
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: WOLSELEY
Vehicle: '96 HILUX 2.8 HILUX DC 3i BMW 540 RANCHERO UTE 4 Li

Post by KOBUSL »

:thumbup: Will report back. The radio coming out is a Harman Kardon tape/cd unit. Doubt if the new unit's quality will even come near it.
But all those features and little knobs to play with..... :gamer:
Word te vinnig oud en te stadig wys.

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”