camping with bar fridge

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
Oupa Stig
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

camping with bar fridge

Post by Oupa Stig »

Going to Moz in December - 4x2 only but will convoy with Wrangler for inevitable sand recoveries
$1 000 000 question- advice appreciated:
Have barfridge 220v, 0,6Amps, 50Hz, single phase, 72W motor.
Need to keep drinks cold, small amount of meat frozen (fridge has freezer section)
Can I run this off an inverter of my KZ battery?
What type / size inverter would work?
Where can I buy such an invertor, at what cost?
How long will it run the fridge before I need to charge battery up again?
I am somewhat challenged financially, but that's not going to stop me from taking my KZ to the bush
and having a cold beer when I get there. Planning to be there about a week.
Have read some of the other threads, glad to see how everyone supports each other!
My KZ has 200k km's on the clock, reached that stage where it helps if guys who know
More than me can give advice on maintenance etc....
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: camping with bar fridge

Post by pietpetoors »

You will need a big inverter, think 1500watt. Although the motor can run on a 1000watt inverter, the startup current it needs to get started is too much for a 1000watt inverter

Another thing is a bar fridge's compressor was not designed to travel. The idea will work but your fridge is not going to last very long
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

pietpetoors wrote:You will need a big inverter, think 1500watt. Although the motor can run on a 1000watt inverter, the startup current it needs to get started is too much for a 1000watt inverter

Another thing is a bar fridge's compressor was not designed to travel. The idea will work but your fridge is not going to last very long
Also, an inveter's efficiency is anything between 50% to 90% depending of quality of inveter and load drawn. So you can expect to get much less out of the battery compared to a 12v compressor fieezer. How will you recharge the battery? (And how will you start the bakkie if you forgot to switch off the freezer and the battery is flat?)
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
Oupa Stig

Post by Oupa Stig »

Tx for info gents. Will pad compressor of fridge thoroughly while traveling to minimize
the bits that fall off...
There will be several other vehicles on site to help with jumpstarts, but if I can only run the thing
for a few hours before recharge required it might have to be back to basics - frreze meat in
wet newspaper, fill all the coolboxes with dry ice and drink warm Oros.... A friend is taking 2 solar
Panels with batteries along and has 12v freezer, but there's going to be quite a crowd and his
freezer might not be sufficient - we're basically checking all our options, but are somewhat
mamparras with the techy stuff for longer trips. That's why I'm asking - a wize man learns from
his mistakes, a genius learns from the experience of others....
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

That bar fridge will draw something like 12 to 13 amps from the battery thr' the inverter. So a 100Ah battery will not last very long. (100/12 = 8.3 hours) but then its completely discharged. To maintain that fridge you need something like 800 Watt panels, but the fridge would not make it thr' the night, so best to get a small 220V gen set, 500 to 800 watt will be sufficient, or a 12V fridge
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Oupa Stig wrote:Tx for info gents. Will pad compressor of fridge thoroughly while traveling to minimize
the bits that fall off...
There will be several other vehicles on site to help with jumpstarts, but if I can only run the thing
for a few hours before recharge required it might have to be back to basics - frreze meat in
wet newspaper, fill all the coolboxes with dry ice and drink warm Oros.... A friend is taking 2 solar
Panels with batteries along and has 12v freezer, but there's going to be quite a crowd and his
freezer might not be sufficient - we're basically checking all our options, but are somewhat
mamparras with the techy stuff for longer trips. That's why I'm asking - a wize man learns from
his mistakes, a genius learns from the experience of others....
Unfortunately, to get ice in the bush is quite an expensive lay-out.
Some figures: 72 w @12 v = 6 amp
Moz is hot so it will run all the time = 6Ah.
Your KZ battery = 70 Ah???, lets say 50 % discharge (optimistically) = 35Ah, so 6 hours if 100% eff, let's say 70% then approx 4 hours before batt is depleted, and those batts don't like deep discharge, so you'll start to damage the batt.

Above is VERY approx, with huge assumptions. My opinion, do not rely on this option.

B.t.w.: welcome to the forum.

C
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

The fridge motor will heat up as well when using a MSW Inverter. Not really a good idea.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Oupa Stig

Post by Oupa Stig »

I suspect one of the better solutions would be to save up for a 12v freezer with some solar
panels & spare battery - next year's wish list. For now I'll have to vacuumpack meat, open
coolbox once a day for that day's meat, and bum some fridge space from my friend for a cool drink.
Tx for the info - otherwise I might have unknowingly spent a lot of money on something that was to be a
temporary fix only.
& tx for welcome to forum - I am here to learn!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Mickey! :thumbup:

From the above comments ..... damaging the battery / overheating the bar fridge motor / perhaps straining the inverter (especially when the battery voltage starts to drop off) ..... puts a very negative spin on the idea with some possible costly consequences.
I think it would therefore be more prudent to sell the bar fridge and get a 12v fridge / freezer. A dual battery system would also go a long way to improving functionality, but you could get away without it by just running the unit while travelling and for brief periods while camped (switch off overnight to conserve battery) .... perhaps letting the motor idle for an hour here and there to replenish the battery (not the most efficient IRO fuel consumption, but it would work).
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Toynatic
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Melkbosstrand
Vehicle: 3.0 D4D DC 4x4xFUN

Post by Toynatic »

Been there done that, a very clever oom at CampWorld convinced me a few years back to buy a 220v fridge with an Inverter to save R1300 vs a 12 v unit. Well after burning 2 inverters (also bought from the oom) and messing up my battery, I had to buy a 12v fridge and new battery.

So save for the right equipment, and rather buy some ice cold "2M" from the locals shops in Moz this time around.

Also don't take to much food and drink stuff in, they made us unpack and taxed our group almost R2k at the border.

Enjoy Moz.
DassieHassie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Hilux 2.4 22R D/Cab 4x4

Post by DassieHassie »

enjoying all the clever member's advice!

Save up and buy once will be the best in my opinion
Evil thrives when good men do nothing
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Buy some "dry ice", wrap it in newspaper and put it in the coolbox on top of the other stuff (mustn't get wet), we had a basket for it, will keep vacuum packed meat frozen for about a week, used to camp like that, will work better than the bar fridge idea.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Deonpretorius
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 3d4d Landcruiser 4.2

Post by Deonpretorius »

Hi look in the camping colum theres a 80liter 12v 220v for sale
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

You can perhaps go for a 12v/220v/gas freezer as well, for the short term.

Something like this:

http://www.zeroappliances.co.za/GEV70.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have no idea what they cost. They are not as effiecient as a 12v compressor freezer, but they can run on gas. They are very heavy on amps @ 12 v. They must be level to operate, you'll have to put it in the shade, a 12 v fan on the cooling fins will also help. It's called an absorption freezer, can make ice if the ambient temp not too high (like in winter).

I had an Edesa, gave me good service. Maybe look in the classifieds.

Good luck,

C

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”