iPhone 5 or Blackberry Z10

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.

What would you choose

iPhone 5
54%
Blackberry 10
46%

Total votes: 24

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

iPhone 5 or Blackberry Z10

Post by pietpetoors »

My contract is due for an upgrade so it is decision time again

I used a blackberry the past 2 years and, unlike many, I had no problems with it and I like the BB

But now I have to choose between an iPhone 5 or Blackberry Z10

Which one would you choose? and WHY?

The reason why I doubt is because the BB10 is new and no-one is SA have it yet.
So far I could not read anything bad on the international sites.

Apparently we will have the BB10 by 1 March so I have time till then to decide. I can get a iPhone today if I want.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
4x4Maniac
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

Re: iPhone 5 or Blackberry 10

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Pieter, all I'll say is, how good is the BB in browsing the forum? That will be my deciding factor, and I can read everything perfectly with the IPhone, will never want anything else.
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

The reviews I read so far the guys raves about the fast new browser of the BB.

The only negatives they have so far is that camera's pictures not as clear as iPhone and BB only have 70,000 apps where iPhone has ten times more. I wonder who uses more than 70,000 apps.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
4x4Maniac

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Pieter, weet nie of jy die al gesien het nie

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/01/31 ... berry-z10/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
(2011 JKUR)

KC Spotlights
Previous:
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Also had a bb for nearly 2 years with no problem, my wife is on her 2nd one also no problems. So ja it is a difficult decision to make, good luck. :thumbup:
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Thanx Werner that is a useful article
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

Pieter also debating that issue... BB has had a number of problems recently, and I'm not too worried about apps, so will read that article then..
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

I have not read the article yet.But AFAIK the bb10 will have bbm but not BIZ.Meaning you will pay for your data use
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
dustbuster
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: Rebuilding 91 D/C Hilux Mboza Body, OME 4Y EFI, & 91 S/C 4Y Hilux

Post by dustbuster »

I read here

http://www.news24.com/Technology/News/N ... 0-20130201" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

apparently on the BB 10 you will no longer have BIS :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: , I am a BB fan but if this is the case then BB has lost it edge coz now you will have to start paying for you data, BIS is one of the only reasons I have a BB so I don’t get ripped off with data charges.
If they drop it then it just become another smart phone that has to prove itself against the Iphone and the Samsung.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Pieter,

There's a lot of info on the mybroadband site/forum about the new Blackberry's... I believe the "free" services are set to change with the new OS and device.

Take a look here: http://mybroadband.co.za/news/?s=blackberry+10

I would post the same question on the MyBB forum, there's lots of clued-up techie types on that forum. In terms of apps, you're 100% correct BB has very little, when compared to iOS and Android. IMHO the combination of Android and the Samsung S3 cannot be beaten at the moment, but everyone's got there own taste!
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Any phone with a touch screen is a toy rather than a tool, they can do everything and have the lawn mowed, just don't try to make a normal phone call in a hurry. Maybe you should get a tab and a compact phone with "knoppies".
My wife had a Blackberry for about three years with no problems, but she loves her Samsung S3, aparently it's better, i've got the new Samsung X-Cover, It's a touch screen android water resistant piece of junk that does everything except phone.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Mr B you get an app or program you can load on BB Z10 which enables you to run android apps. Thus all android apps are also available for Z10

Cool, post it on the MyBB forum and let's see what comes up. I think this is a burning issue any many households at the moment.
Post the link here once you asked the question.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Allan you have a valid point there. I remember how you battled to read the thing in the sun once.

Thing is a travel a lot. If I get a tablet and a knoppie phone I will have to carry around two things
At the moment I take my laptop with me when I go to CPT and I want to stop doing that, I want to use only one device for everything
when I am not in the office

I feel that if I have to carry a tablet with me I might as well carry my laptop, the laptop is half the price of a tablet
Stubs
Town: Onrusrivier Hermanus
Vehicle: 89, Hilux D/cab 3.0L V6 Ford !!

Post by Stubs »

Hoppy wrote:Any phone with a touch screen is a toy rather than a tool, they can do everything and have the lawn mowed, just don't try to make a normal phone call in a hurry. Maybe you should get a tab and a compact phone with "knoppies".
My wife had a Blackberry for about three years with no problems, but she loves her Samsung S3, aparently it's better, i've got the new Samsung X-Cover, It's a touch screen android water resistantpiece of junk that does everything except phone.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

I think you should also look at the Samsung S3.What I understand it is a great phone.My take on the i-Phone is that if you still use windows on your Pc or Laptop you will have endless problems syncing between the 2.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Het jy al na die S3 gekyk?

Ek het al die forum en goed op my foon gekry, maar my oe is nie so skerp nie, ek sukkel bietjie, baie maklikker op die PC.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

pietpetoors wrote:Mr B you get an app or program you can load on BB Z10 which enables you to run android apps. Thus all android apps are also available for Z10

Cool, post it on the MyBB forum and let's see what comes up. I think this is a burning issue any many households at the moment.
Post the link here once you asked the question.
Here we go... posted on MyBB: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread. ... ost9851260

Mr B
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Hmmmmm... looks like there's very little interest in answering the question over at MyBB... sies!
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Got some good answers from the WD forum
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=118213" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kaaskrul
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2018 Hilux X-Cab 4x4 Dakar

Post by Kaaskrul »

Ek sover nog al die iPhones gehad. Moes ook 2 mnde terug upgrade na die 5 toe.
Dit gelos.

Die ouens se die bluetooth is n probleem, die battery hou nie lank nie, party sukkel met Netwerk opvangs, en die foon word ook baie warm as jy langer as 10minute praat.

Ek het die upgrade gelos en sal maar wag vd 2nd Gen Phone 5 eerder.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Nou praat jy 'n storie. Ons dogter het 'n iPhone 5 en dit gebeur gereeld wat sy ons bel en dan kan ons haar nie hoor, maar sy kan ons hoor. Dan sit sy neer en bel weer en dan werk hy.

As ek vir langer as tien minute op 'n foon moet praat dan sal ek self al warm wees, nie net die foon nie.
Cleaner
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4l V6 4x4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X31

Post by Cleaner »

Neither of the options.

Also keep in mind that the Samsung Galaxy S IV will be released middle of March according to rumor.
ImageImageImage
"Every loaf of bread is tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't. - Walter Thornburgh"
"The best cure for Sea Sickness, is to sit under a tree. - Spike Milligan"
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Samsung Galaxy S IV will be released middle of March according to rumor.
PP stands for Pieter Pretorius not Pieter Patience.

No, I have been waiting since December, so even if it launch middle March I will still not take it before others used it.
At least the Z10 is in other countries so I can read reviews before I decide.

Comparison between S4 and Z10
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?id ... hone2=5251" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With my limited knowledge of these phones I do not see much difference except that the S4 has a bigger screen, better camera and bigger battery.
Sebata
Town: Cosmo City
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds
Club VHF Licence: X125

Post by Sebata »

all i can say is what id BB without BIS?? :thumbdown:
Tau Sello
Sebata, Lion enjoys hunting with Hynas...
Cleaner
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4l V6 4x4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X31

Post by Cleaner »

pietpetoors wrote:
Samsung Galaxy S IV will be released middle of March according to rumor.
PP stands for Pieter Pretorius not Pieter Patience.

No, I have been waiting since December, so even if it launch middle March I will still not take it before others used it.
At least the Z10 is in other countries so I can read reviews before I decide.

Comparison between S4 and Z10
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?id ... hone2=5251" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With my limited knowledge of these phones I do not see much difference except that the S4 has a bigger screen, better camera and bigger battery.
Agreed - Between BB and I-Phone then - My old Nokia 3310 :tongue:

I-Phone...BB is gonna suck without BIS
ImageImageImage
"Every loaf of bread is tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't. - Walter Thornburgh"
"The best cure for Sea Sickness, is to sit under a tree. - Spike Milligan"
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

all i can say is what id BB without BIS?? :thumbdown:
Ja, that is true but we will have to see what free data the networks come up with the contracts.

I only use bbm and email so the amount of data I use is really not much. Maybe if I have better phone I will browse more as well
If I look at Stuart with his private pay as you go phone, he loads R60.oo per month and use his bbm and internet, etc

So is it really that big an issue

On my contract I get 250Mb of data free as well, for bbm and emails I wont use more than that anyway, so I guess the no BIS will not influence me that much.
jgduvenage
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 4x4, Alu Cab canopy,Onca rear bumper, Onca rock sliders,front suspension lift.

Post by jgduvenage »

take note that the new bb10, internet services will no longer be that of R59 per month! will also now have to pay as iphone and android! but my vote goes to iphone 5! best phone yet!
Kaaskrul
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Kaaskrul »

pietpetoors wrote:
As ek vir langer as tien minute op 'n foon moet praat dan sal ek self al warm wees, nie net die foon nie.
Ek praat n iPhone dat ek hom 2 keer n dag moet charge.
My cell rek is omtrent R8000 per maand :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Kaaskrul wrote:
pietpetoors wrote:
Pierre het jy 'n sex line running :twisted: Ek het 400min wat ek nou gaan verloor omdat ek dit nie kan op praat nie
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Seems like Vodacom is first in the race
Just saw on their site BB Z10 is now available with free unlimited BBM text
https://www.vodacom.co.za/personal/serv ... ryZ10Order" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kaaskrul
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Kaaskrul »

george wrote:
Kaaskrul wrote:
pietpetoors wrote:
Pierre het jy 'n sex line running :twisted: Ek het 400min wat ek nou gaan verloor omdat ek dit nie kan op praat nie
Nee, het n Transport Company. Maar daai sex ding klink na n plan :lmao: :lmao: Kan nie land lyne gebruik nie want ek is amper nooit naby een nie.

Ek het 1000min n maand, dit maak nie eers n week nie, dan is dit klaar. Wou al groter pakket kry, maar Vodacom het nie :evil:

Ek kan elke 8mnde upgrade by Vodacom, dis nou lekker nê :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Pieter, I see on MyBB that the way the Blackberry BIS services work, including BBM, is set to change. The services are no longer unlimited and will use your standard data bundles, free data with Blackberry is a thing of the past!

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellular/ ... e-bis.html

In terms of the new devices, Jannie v Zyl of Vodacom says the BB Z10 is the best touch screen phone he has used to date.
Sebata
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds

Post by Sebata »

pietpetoors wrote:Seems like Vodacom is first in the race
Just saw on their site BB Z10 is now available with free unlimited BBM text
https://www.vodacom.co.za/personal/serv ... ryZ10Order" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FNB will also do the same as wih IPADS as soon as they arrive
Tau Sello
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

these chaps see the new revenue streams but I think they will see a drop in sales as a result.
Danman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6 aka "BosBuffel"

Post by Danman »

I'm not an ios fan because you have to pay for everything. Only compatable with other apple products.
So n my humble opinion if you invest in ios, you are in for the long haul.
BB10 have changed quite allot from previous flavours. They finally embraced the smartphone concept of opperating system independent apps and functions(something io still haven't realized and it's costing them market share).
I was at the BB10 launch middle last year and was surprised and exited about the developernetwork apps that they were busy developing.

My choice would be android galaxy noteII.......tab and phone best of both, but that is my opinion.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

So I received my Blackberry on Friday
I will not moan and b1t ch about MTN's poor service again. Because of the BB using a small sim card, they had to do a sim swop. Should take 5 minutes, took them from Friday morning to Monday afternoon to manage to do it.

Luckily I have a wireless modem at home so over the weekend I could use some of the settings of the phone.
The camera did not work. Long story short, I received a new phone this morning.

The keyboard works surprisingly well.
I am not a big smart phone user so I am not sure what it is supposed to do but things like web browsing, emails, bbm, sms, making calls work very easy.

Those gestures takes you about an hour to get used to, so that is no big deal.

Transferring data from the old BB Bold to the new phone, using my laptop, was a piece of cake.

I was the big mouth who said that some people complain that iPhone have 700,000 and the Z10 only 70,000 but I only use 6, so what;
Guess what, you wont believe it, Blackberry launched a new phone and basic apps like Whatsapp and Tapatalk are not even ready for it, ie, not available.
Some private oke did write a gmail up, but it sucks big time. It is slow and you cannot open a pdf document from it.

So there might be 70,000 apps available but 3 of the 6 I use are either not there or does not work very well.

After I received the new phone this morning I played with it as much as possible.
Everything went well until just now. I was browsing the Hilux forum, watching the video of the new Lamborghini, wanted to open another topic..... and then it hang.
I had to restart.

This might just be a once off glitch, I dont know, but I will keep you up to date as I use it more.

If I ignore the app issue (sure they will be available soon), then in general I like the Z10.
The browser is much faster than any of the browsers on my laptop and that while they share the same internet connection.

Comparing to my old Blackberry Bold ; with the Z10 I can actually use the browser for something useful, I can type much faster with my thick fingers, it navigates faster

I cannot compare it with the iPhone since I never use the iPhone.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

So this morning another glitch appeared
Alarm went off this morning, I stopped it and then the BB asked me for a security password.
I nether in the setup selected a security password or created one and during the zillion times I restarted it before it nether asked for a password.
Searched on web and found that it is known issue
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB33684" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My only problem now is in the known issue article they say just restart it, well mine dont work that way, I can even remove the battery and put it back and it wont work.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

To God be the glory
Sebata

Post by Sebata »

:shock: :shock: i thought they might have resolved the annoying freezing thingy :shock: :shock: , this taking out the battery or rebooting all the time gets to my head :frustrated:
Tau Sello
4x4Maniac

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Dis n goeie een Cassie...

Jammer Pieter, ek wil nou nie per-maturely se "I told you so nie" wat ek wel wil se is, een van my kollegas het ook dieselfde kamera issue gehad, en wag nog weer vir sy foon.
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
(2011 JKUR)

KC Spotlights
Previous:
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Jammer Pieter, ek wil nou nie per-maturely se "I told you so nie" wat ek wel wil se is, een van my kollegas het ook dieselfde kamera issue gehad, en wag nog weer vir sy foon
Toemaar, ek vat my pak soos 'n man. Ek het mos besluit om 'n pionier te wees en die onbekende waters te toets. As niemand dit toets nie, hoe gaan julle ooit weet of dit werk of nie.

As die &*^%#&^%@# ding vir 'n slag werk, werk hy lekker
pietpetoors

Re: iPhone 5 or Blackberry Z10

Post by pietpetoors »

Update: Eventually the MTN store opened and I took it to them. After a couple of phone calls to the BB rep we realised that the device password it was asking for is in fact the "developer mode" password. I activated developer mode last night when I installed WhatsApp. So in fact there was nothing wrong with the phone except for the fact that the developers did not think of putting in any subtle hint in the error message which will tell you that it is looking for the developer password and not the device password, or that device password means developer password.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Just want to report back.
I now have the replacement phone for 5 days and it has been 5 days of hassle free use.
No problems, no glitches and I really enjoy using the Blackberry

There are so many tasks where I always had to quickly switch on my computer just to check something which I now sommer do on the phone.
4x4Maniac

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Pieter, enjoy it... I also saw the Z10 yesterday from my colleague, he received his phone back and and all software glitches have been solved.

I particularly like the tabbed/quick functions that you kinda dock.
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
(2011 JKUR)

KC Spotlights
Previous:
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

Hoppy wrote:Maybe you should get a tab and a compact phone with "knoppies".
Know its a bit late for advice, however could help someone else
Self using the 7inch Samsung tablet as phone and tablet
Yep some might find d it funny such a big phone, however, can hold it in my hand as a phone
And great as a compact tablet
Do most the browsing, and posting from here like now
Can plug in a usb device, can plug it into an external keyboard
Can open pdf files, office document , exel sheets
And can navigate in town better then my Garmin
With the correct app can save trecks, marked the bot cruise from inside the cabin
Can take pic video
Can make skype calls with the front camera
All from one device that does not need constant rebboting like our BBs
And the 8inch should be coming out this year, and yes planing on getting one
:cooldude:

Posted from my 7"
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tal
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kroonstad
Vehicle: Fortuna

Post by Tal »

Jammer wil nou nie ou wonde weer oopkloof nie! Maar ek het vior dieselfde keuses gestaan met fone en ek het vir die i Phone 5 gegaan, na jare wat ek 'n bb user was! Ek het hom nou so 3maande en die beste is:

Ek moes hom nog nooit reatart omdat hy gevries het nie
Sy battery hou ten minste die hele dag
Sy knoppies word nooit vuil nie
Super vinnig browser
Wifi is amazing, geen probleem om te connect nie
En ek het geen probleem om goed te sync met windows nie, inteendeel, met die icloud was alles reeds op my foon toe ek dit op ge set het

Nadeel

Data charges! Maar as ek reg verstaan gaan almal nou met dieselfde kam geskeur word, omdat die iphone iMessage het, is dit presies dieselfde as bbm, maar jy hoef nie heeldag na almal se statis updates en fotos van hulle katte en kinders te kyk nie. Haha, grappie

Dink die moral van die storie is, vat wat vir jou gemaklik is.
ONE LIFE.... DRIVE A TOYOTA
4x4Maniac

Post by 4x4Maniac »

FYI

Looks like Tapatalk 2 was launched recently for the Z10
ORRA CALLSIGN X120