Navigating on Smartphone

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Navigating on Smartphone

Post by george »

These days I use my Samsung pocket phone a lot more to navigate than the Garmin.Google maps work fine when you have a connection,but without a internet connection I can not see the maps,so its a bit useless when going offroad.
I know there is a way to zoom in on the area you want to use and then save it for offline use later,but that is not a perfect solution for me.
I see you can get T4A for android now
http://tracks4africa.co.za/shop/categor ... hone-apps/

Is this any good or is there other solutions?
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Dewald Posthumus
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4d 4x4

Re: Navigating on Smartphone

Post by Dewald Posthumus »

Had a look at the new Nokia 1520 Phablet (Phone/ Tablet hybrid) last week - one the new features is a fully functional OFFLINE GPS system. Not sure of T4A and other maps will work on the device.

Best option for me is to use my phone in town, but when going on a trip I use my Garmin.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Best option for me is to use my phone ... my Garmin
Jip thats what I do know.The Nuvi has a nice Mp3 player so I prefer it.
It just for that odd occasion I dont have a Garmin with me,maybe hiking or something
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hate smart-phones .... have a Nokia Lumia 710 but hardly use it. For me a phone should be a phone, perhaps with a few useful apps, no gimmicks / games ... it makes it tedious to navigate with multiple large menus etc.

That said, the 710 which must be about 2 yrs old now has an off-line gps system as well as an on-line one ... not wonderful graphics, but functional.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

I have just installed CoPilot https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .mapviewer
It has maps for offline use.Dont think it will have to much info for offroad use,at least its something.
Will still be using the Garmin though.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

I use the Garmin and phone together, and what I realised is that the phone has updated maps, which helps a lot with ever changing, much unnecessary, street names.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6, relatively standard; for now...

Post by smokintyres »

I have been using my tablet with OsmAnd (Open source maps for android devices) http://osmand.net/ with great success in city traffic! Not very useful in rural areas, as it does not indicate the type of road; we ended up on a "tweespoorpadjie" with thick sand etc. which in our case was the adventure we were looking for, but it will not be everyone's liking.

I also installed the Track4Africa android version and am very happy with the results. The large screen of the tablet helps a lot!
hendrik.earle
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 d/c a/t, 60mm lift, steeltop canopy, Custom Bullbar, Custom roofrack, WHEELS:vacancy open for 35x12.5r15

Post by hendrik.earle »

I bought Tom Tom software for my iPad for R650 and it has a built in gps and stores the maps on the device. So I can use it like a normal gps, doesn't use any internet or data.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”