Sound Questions

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Sound Questions

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Guys

Quick question I am really into my sound as FD will know so he will know what I mean when I say sound is so difficult to install in the old SFA :( :!: Now I am not a BOOM BOOM junky but here is the problem I installed a Sony head unit with a fair bit of on board power 50w into 4 channels which as normal is horrible over estimated reall power is more like 15w in 4ohm stable . However in my opinion the Sony has the best sound I have heard other then really exzotic stuff. Now the sound I get out 4 6x9 Sony Xplod speakers in the doors is fine in the mid range and trebble it just does not cut it low down now I know I have to add a amp to drive the 6x9s to the potential however I have heard a similar setup in a Isuzu DC with a Rockford Fosgate Punch power amp but it still sounds CRAP!!! And please remember it is not volume I want I want quality though I do like to turn up the odd song I like :mrgreen: my music taste is very wide everything from a bit of classical to rave. Now 6x9`s Generaly dont last as I told y buddy with the Isuzu and gess what 2 of his 6x9`s are now damaged :roll: . Now here is the thing I need to fit a small sub behind the rear seat has anyone done this in the Hilux and what is the max size will a 10inch fit if I construct a incloser that will fit and give the max volume available. I know it wont be ideal but its the best I can cum up with. :( :roll:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Sound Questions

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Justin,

I also have a Sony Head unit coupled to pre-existing 6x9 speakers in the doors, I think Pioneer, not sure. They are fitted in all four doors. The SFA was never designed with quality sound in mind, but the door-mounted speakers do offer a remarkable improvement in audio quality over what the Toyota Engineers originally planned for us.

I must admit I have never even thought of adding a sub, to be honest, I don't really advise it for a small area such as in a car because you will never get the full benefit of the sub's capabilities in any case - the sound waves tend to cancel out in such a confined space.

Truth to tell, I doubt I would ever have cut my doors & door panels myself, I bought the car like this.

Sadly, I don't think there is too much one can do in a SFA to really offer great sound, except maybe for wearing a pair of high quality headphones :mrgreen:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

HI FD

I think the problem here is more to do with the fact that the head unit is a little bit light for the speaker so if I just add a amp they would sound alot more controlled . However I would like to add a sub so that they dont have to work so hard I hope I am making sence 8) :?:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Hi Justin

Speak to Riceburner, apparently he installed a nice system in his DC. I don't have the detail.
Last edited by Niel on Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Hi Justin

Having done sound installations on hatchbacks and bakkies over the years I can say that adding a small sub into the system will make a huge difference in the lower range of Hz. By adding a sub you may find that you will be able to replace your exising 6x9s with a speaker more suited for midrange such as a 6 inch 2 way. (as you like Sony, there Xplode range has the 6's I believe). I have never added a box to a lux but I have done many on the old mazda rustlers which as i'm sure you know has pretty much the same space constrictions.

A 8 or 10 inch sub fitted in a smallish custom built box would fit nicely behind the rear seat with the only problem being that you lose a little of the sound but being only for low down bass it is not really too serious. The other option is to box the same said sub over the tunnel between the rear and front seats with the sub facing forward, but you might find this to produce a bit more than you want. If it were my vehicle I would go with the first one and test it, whipping up a box isnt too difficult, some places even sell ready made ones that would fit.

The first thing to do is to measure how much space you have behind the back seat and then find something that will fit. Don't forget the slant of the seat! There are subs called limpets now called the flat series, pioneer made, they are thinner than normal subs (and pricier) and allow you to create a thinnner box. Be careful as to the size of the box though, it does affect the sound you get.

I don't know if you guys have a autostyle in PE but they have a box specifically for bakkies going for R195 (pic included) that might fit in the lux as it would be made for single cab bakkies.

http://www.autostyle.co.za/prodview.php ... dstr=&str=
speaker box.jpg
Hope this helps. :D
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
ToyPiet
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Strand
Vehicle: Hilux D/C 4x4, '97

Post by ToyPiet »

Hi-Fi corporation and Cash Crusaders sell these thin boxes to go behind the seats, mostly for taxis for about R200, but the speakers are crap. Just put a decent speaker in the box. They will fit nicely behind the seat!
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

The sound qualities of these thin boxes will not require discussion... they have no sound qualities :mrgreen:

Best is to change your style of music, less thump & more "Taraa..." :P

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Or else install a nice 6 or 8 cyl engine. Then you can turn down the radio and listen to that baby purr... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

benhur wrote:Or else install a nice 6 or 8 cyl engine. Then you can turn down the radio and listen to that baby purr... :lol: :lol: :lol:
...especially if its a Diesel Engine, those things always produce a big cat sound... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... :mrgreen: :twisted: :P

-F_D

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Family_Dog wrote:
benhur wrote:Or else install a nice 6 or 8 cyl engine. Then you can turn down the radio and listen to that baby purr... :lol: :lol: :lol:
...especially if its a Diesel Engine, those things always produce a big cat sound... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... :mrgreen: :twisted: :P

-F_D
Ag nee gaga poefies man, ga poe. Jy kan mos nou nie daai geraas nice noem nie :shock: :shock: :shock:
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Well I was thinking more along the lines of extending the box to run the full lenth of the back seat and maybe down to the floor on either side of the seats. But a nice 6cylinder would be great but its no Bruce Springsteen. Well maybe the best thing is to check is to calculate how much box space I can get and then decide what sub to use 8 or 10inch.
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: D2 V8

Post by Riceburner »

I have a 2800w XTC amp with 4 tweeters and two Infinity mids and a 12" Infinity SUb. Alpine head unit.
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

My problem is were and how to mount the sub
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

As I mentioned already, the best place is behind the back seat. Start by checking the base distance from the back of the seat to the cab wall and then the same at the top of the seat, you will find you can only go so far up. Also, dont forget to measure how high you are going up, then with those three measurements you can draw a basic outline and get the angle of the back seat. Use a mock up of cardboard if necessary. Then depending on your space allowances, a decision can be made wether to use a 8", 10" or 12" sub. The sub will drive directly into the rear of the seat and I wouldnt think it would need any mounting as the seat would keep it in check.

Riceburner, I assume that 12" is behind the seat, could you post a pic for CM :?:

(Do we all know what ASSUME did :?: It made an ASS out of U and ME :!: :lol: )
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Would a 12 inch sub fit behind the back seats I would think that it would be a little tight behind there.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

You are right CM a 12" is rather large for behind the back seat but other than putting it in the BAK, there is no where else for it.
Personally I think it is a bit of overkill (that being said I had 2x 12" in my golf). A way that springs to mind is to attach the sub to the back seat, i.e screw it in and not use the box at all, effectively using the area behind the seat as the box. This may work but I can't say that I've ever tried it. it would mean that a 12" could be used but would also mean that nothing else could be put back there for fear of damaging the sub.

I will take some measurements this weekend and check against the 12"s I have but also take note that although a 12 is larger in diameter it might not be in thickness when compared to a 8 or 10".
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

I agree however it does mean that you may not be able to mount at as far down as the 10 or 8 I think the 10 would be a little better as my focus is more on sound quality then all out SPL so to speak. As I am surounded by diffrent BMW`s all day I get to see some really awsome instalations and sometimes I find the more pretty instalations dont really cut it when in comes to sound quality. I think part of the problem is I am spoilt at home with the Harmon/Kardon Kef setup. :?
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

For a Hilux, an 8" sub will give you enough low frequency response for good solid tight bass (not taxi resonance) provided you get the enclosure volume and dimensions right according the speaker manufacturers spec. Remember also that you get subs for free air enclosures (ported) and those for sealed enclosures. I always like good tight bass that feels like an 18 wheeler hitting you from behind :twisted:

Otherwise, get a 12" with a nice 2kW mono-block amp and then you can find where all the rust and body putty actually are hidden :lol: :lol:
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Here's a website you should go check out. It supplies you with all the info needed to make the correct size, ported or sealed, enclosure.
You can download the calculators and use them but you will need the info sheet of the specific sub you want to use.
Some manufacturers have their info on their websites so you could play around with a few before even buying.

Hope it helps.

http://www.ajdesigner.com/speaker/asealedexample.php
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Thanks Scooter I will check it out :mrgreen: Andrew I think you are right I a not looking for a noise 8) I want similar sound to my Kef`s
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I think that all of us would like to have the perfect system but of course most of the time money does not allow us to buy the best there is.
So..... A good system can be put together using the Sony, Pioneer etc of the world (which lets face it are the best you can get on a tight budget).
The main thing to remember is that putting to little power through a speaker causes bad sound and putting to much power through a speaker causes bad sound.
that is to say, match your speakers with the amplifier correctly and in this case you need to first match your box and Sub correctly. (have box dimensiond first then choose sub)

Again, IMHO I would get rid of the 6x9s you have in the doors and replace them with a decent mid range 6inch and perhaps a set of tweeters up front. The 6x9 gives overall sound but the ear cannot differentiate between it all so its sound is not as clear as it would be with a split system.
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

This is what it should look like when finished.

Hope this helps...
Attachments
hilux sound box.jpg
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

7MGTE, although nice, I don't quite think that's what CM is after.
Do you still have an engine in the front or do you just bounce down the road? :mrgreen:

Is that from your vehicle? if so, how about some dimensions and pics? :D
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Yip Scooter not quite what I am looking for but pritty cool
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Go for it Justin. I'll get you a Hiace sticker :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bass.gif
Bass.gif (16.76 KiB) Viewed 4884 times
Bass.gif
Bass.gif (16.76 KiB) Viewed 4884 times
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

Hi Cookie Monster

I'm new to forum, so hi all

I'm quite into my sound as well, dont play it as loud anymore but still into good sounding audio

I had a 2.4D single cab 96 model, with mids and tweeters (in the doors) and a 8" sub behind the seat, played blady nice, so transferred it to my 2700i when i sold it.

I would recommend the lightning audio splits about R1000 in the front doors and a 8" lightning audio sub R600 and a lightning audio amp too, price depending on rating of the amp, even a Rockford setup if you want to spend the extra bucks. Wont be hectically loud but you will enjoy your music

Ismail
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Welcome Ismail, a few wise words for your first post.

I am not familiar with lighning audio, tell us a bit more? You got pics of the subs mounting in your 2.7? :D

Rockford tends to be way too pricy :cry: for the average sound enthusiast and you will get great quality sound from lots of other options. I have always been partial to Pioneer with the exception being the amp, my last one was the Starsound Gladiator, which will be for sale shortly as I have no use for it anymore.

But each to their own I say :mrgreen:. For CM I thought it would be good for him to stay with Sony and to match his speakers with the headunit (yes this is not a must but.......) as Sony would have done their testing and created everything to work together. I guess I'm saying that you should try and match everything, if thats not possible then try at least match the speakers.
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

thanks Scooter

lightning audio is actually a cheaper version of rockford just under another name, "cheaper version" still sounds quite nice, really to complete with the cheaper brands, the rockford agents stock them,

ill take some pics of the install and post them soon.
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Howzit Monster Cookie

My system is assembled as follows:

Sony Xplod head unit (ipod adaptable) - R 1,950
Sony Xplod 1200W 4 channel amp - R 1,500
Sony Xplod 12" Sub and box - R 1,850
Sony Xplod two 6 x 9 450W speakers (front) - R 800
Sony Xplod two tweeters (dash) - R 300
Sony Xplod two Mids 7" 300W (rear doors) - R 600
Cross overs for Mids and tweeters - R 500
R 7,500

This will give you awesome sound, and although not very cheap, should also not break the bank.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Justin,

This sounds like something we both would want.

What say we go to Pretoria and do a Mafia-style hit, share equally... :twisted:

You can have the sub, I'll take everything else. :mrgreen:

-F_D

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

7MGTE, where the photos. Cookie Monster is looking for ideas to mount a sub and I'm sure he would appreciate a few pictoral ideas.
How about it? :mrgreen:

F_D, don't joke, I received an email (you may have got it as mail travels the world) about a little golf that was stolen in mamelodi, the pictures showed it 1 hour after the theft, it was just a shell :cry: . These guys work quickly jong. :evil:
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi guys been away for a while 7MGTE I would love some photos for ideas Ismail thanks for the advice but I think I will stick with the sony for the moment but maybe your idea with the sub will work great have you got any pics maybe?

Andrew mmm dont think I really want a taxi :mrgreen: :lol: by the way I have some prices that you were looking for I just need to get clarification on Monday from Duncan.

Scooter thanks for your help :mrgreen:
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Howzit guys,

I should get my cabby back this week from its engine upgrades, and will post pictures as soon as possible.
Polarbear2008
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Hi cookie monster

I am in the process of fitting a Pioneer 12" "shallow mount" sub to my IFS 'lux.

Both Pioneer and Sony make "shallow mount" subs that are escentially free air subs that can run in a ver small box - some specs state 1/2 a cubic foot volume which is generally very small for a sub.

After some serious homework I have found that it is possible to fit the box and a custom amp rack (to house 1 amp) behind the rear seat without too much hassle. It does mean that it sits at about the same angle as the seat itself i.o.w. the side of the box is besically triangular.

The one problem I am still trying to solve though, is serious resonance - seemingly caused by the rear wall of the cab. I am thinking of installing something like Dynamat to fix this (finance permitting :D: ) otherwise it plays down nice and low, and frees up the other speakers to play mid and trebble - which they can do better at anyway!

BTW what Sony headunit have you got? The xplod GT-280 has a nice setup where you can set your x-over point for both high and low pass and still adjust high, mid, low and sub independantly. Yes it is not an RDS radio, but for all its features AND an remote control - all for under R1000! I'm loving mine!! :mrgreen:

Just my 2c worth.
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

What I did in mine was to get high quality speakers(I think it was 4") that was 100 watts installed in the dash, make 100% sure it it properly secured.( Bad sound always start with speakers that is not properly fastened or fastened on the wrong surface) Back Speakers was Sony's aswell, 10Watt either 8 or 10" rounds, 3 ways. Then Wiring is also important, not thick but more the quality copper and also how it connect to the speaker and radio, and yet again, fastening the speaker to the rear door, make sure you fasten it to the metal, not the board.

No amplifier was in but the sound was great! done alot of sound a years back, and if it it need to be,FD have those nice boards on the doors that also make a difference to sound, if you make it yourself, only use either 16 or 19mm thick Supawood, Nothing else.

Louis
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Yep, they are made from vinyl-clad MDF as well. You will note we made the cut-out slightly larger so as to fit better speakers, the originals are Pioneer but have seen better days. But as long as they sound OK, they stay. When the rattles start, in with the new!
P1010475.JPG
P1010475.JPG (53.17 KiB) Viewed 4070 times

-F_D

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”