The Scooter Fillet

A pozie for recipes, drinks, braai tricks, boererate & all that delicious things...
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

The Scooter Fillet

Post by Scooter »

You need:

1 x half beef fillet
1 x packet back bacon
1 x half punnet mushrooms (sliced)
1 x half onion (chopped)
Pickled jalapeno chillis
Garlic
1 x round of Feta cheese
String
Salt & Pepper
Ground coriander (best spice around)
BBQ spice

What you do:

Fry up the onions, mushrooms and garlic with spices to taste, set aside to cool.
Chop up the feta cheese and Jalepenos and add to cooled onions etc.
Take your half fillet, slice it on one side, making sure you start 1cm from the end and stop 1cm from the other end, and don't cut right through it. Effectively creating a pocket in the fillet.

Now pack the fried onion and cheese mixture into the fillet, stuffing it in really full. :D
Now you have to lay the bacon on a board, ovelapping the pieces slightly. Then put the fillet on top and wrap the bacon around the fillet, covering it completely.

I use string to tie it all together to stop it opening up and losing shape but you could use toothpics if you wanted.

Place the wrapped fillet over hot coals (a closed weber would be quicker but I find it changes the taste) and cook till the bacon is crispy and the fillet is to your liking. Normally the feta will start oosing out the cut side through the bacon, then it is ready as a medium.

If you like it rare thats ok too but the center will be cold.

Sit back and enjoy. :thumbup: :thumbup:
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Cooking & stuff

Post by Mud Dog »

Sounds like a plan :thumbup: , but there are those that would disagree 'cos you'd be smothering the taste of the fillet :D: , nê Ben :twisted: :lol: :lol: Personally I would just go easy on the chillies ... the rest sounds great. :P
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Ag we all know what a plain spiced steak tastes like so why not give a bit of flavour.

I'm not a huge fan of sauces with my steak either but a marinade or dry spice is a good way to get some flavour.

Remember if you do use a marinade, use an oil based one so as not to burn the marinade. A marinade with sugar in it will burn the marinade and ultimately give you a crap tasting steak.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Post by Bushwacker »

Sweet marinades only goes on at the end of cooking time, ±5 min before gaar :thumbup:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Andy

What I meant with sources were stuff like pour over afterwards to disguise the real taste stuff like mushroom, monkeyglan etc. If the cooking process include some oil based marinades or spices I am all for that
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

:lol: I was just having a little dig at your expense :D: Sorry man, but it's cool, I understand where you're coming from ... different strokes etc. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Braai and recipes”