george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Towing a auto Prado 90

Post by george »

I am new to automatic gearboxes. I always taught you can not tow a auto with a normal rope.
My understanding was that you need to disconnect the prop shafts or put on a lowbed truck.

I read in the manual that you put the box in neutral and then you can tow the vehicle.
They do mention that you can only do it for short distances.

So my question is.Lets say I am 200km away and someone can tow me back. Can I tow the prado for 200-300km with the box in neutral or do I have to disconnect the propshaft.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Re: Towing a auto Prado 90

Post by Knuppel »

Geoge, 20 km is ok but 200 km is a big no! You will need to remove the props.
Image Link Broken
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Knuppel wrote:Geoge, 20 km is ok but 200 km is a big no! You will need to remove the props.
Shot :thumbup:

Just for interest sake. What will go wrong. Is it to do with box not getting lubrication or what do you damage
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Dowe Koos
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hallo George, kyk wat Wikipedia sê
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Neutral / No gear (N)
This disengages all gear trains within the transmission, effectively disconnecting the transmission from the driven wheels, allowing the vehicle to coast freely under its own weight and gain momentum without the motive force from the engine. Coasting in idle down long grades (where law permits) should be avoided, though, as the transmission's lubrication pump is driven by non-idle engine RPMs. Similarly, emergency towing with an automatic transmission in neutral should be a last resort. Manufacturers understand emergency situations and list limitations of towing a vehicle in neutral (usually not to exceed 55 mph and 50 miles). This is the only other selection in which the vehicle's engine may be started.
Hoop dit help
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion Gauteng
Vehicle: Mazda Rustler 16v

Post by MCHILUX »

Put the transfer box in neutral. Tow an automatic will cause damage because the torque converter must turn to lubricate the box so you can tow it if the engine is running .
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

I am speaking under correction here but as far as i know that transfer box also has an oil pump in and by putting the t/box in neutral then it also stops that pump from turning and after a while the high bearings and gears seize!

Rather remove the propshafts unless you are sure
If you would like to check then use toyodiy or pm me your vin number and i will tell you for sure.

The manual mentions the prop removal for a specific reason. ;-)
Image Link Broken
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

My auto V6 broke a fanbelt which really damaged an already leaking front crank seal.

This happened in Atlantis on the dunes.

Luckily I had Francois from 4xLux there with me. We put on a new belt that Allan (Hoppy) brought to us.

Only when we got the petrol station to pump the tyres did we see how much oil I was loosing due to the damaged seal. Francois then said that we needed to tow the vehicle to avoid any damage to the motor.

We then put the transfer box in neutral and kept the normal box in park. I then let the motor idle as we were towed home to Brackenfell.

According to Francois it is a safe way to tow an auto vehicle and said that Allan confirmed it as well.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

image.jpeg
Image Link Broken
JamesC
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: SRX 2.5 4x4 D/C

Post by JamesC »

George, don't break your head about it. My Prado is hitting 400 000 and apart from towing other vehicles, that is the closest it has come to any kind of towing.
James Cameron
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by MCHILUX »

The oilpump in the transfer case will still work if towing gets turned by the propshafts.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

I just love the crap they write in the owners manual :bye:
Image Link Broken
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

Before i finaly shut my trap on this matter and for the innocent, the transfercase on a cruiser has an oil pump. The oil pump is driven by an idler gear that sits between the high & low range selector. If you select neutral the pump is not driven. The major components in the bottom of the box wil get lubricated but the idler gears running on the high and low range shaft have the possibility of running dry. Or thats how i have it the last time i checked.
Image Link Broken
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by MCHILUX »

Ok lets see when you drive the vehicle the oilpump in the transferbox is driven by the output shaft from the gearbox . Now if you select neutral the drive from the gearbox is gone. If the vehicle starts moving drive to the internals from the transferbox is from the propshafts and that will turn the transferbox oil pump gear witch will supply oil pressure and lubricate the needed parts
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

Two gearboxes,
One, the automatic gearbox, that needs drive from the engine to keep the oil pumping in the gearbox and cannot be kept alive from the propshaft end.
Two, the transfer box, the oil pump needs to be driven from either the engine side or the prop shaft side. Puting the auto box in neutral stops drive from the engine side and then if the vehicle still moves the prop side propvides drive for the oil pump, unless you put the transfer box in neutral, then there is no drive for the oil pump in the transfer.
If you can keep the engine running on an auto then you can put autobox in neutral, leave the transfer in high range and tow as far as you wish.
If not then lift it on a roll back or remove the prop connections to the diff/s . Not necessary to remove complete prop, just remove diff side and hang it up on a rope or wire ensuring it does not slip out on the splines. On a part time 4x4 only need to remove rear prop. On full time 4x4 disconnect both props.
Image Link Broken
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I agree with Jan on this one.
If they could tow 4x4Bees' Hilux with the main box in Park and the short kiere in neutral it means your main box is completely out of the picture when the short kiere is in neutral.

If the transfer case pump is driven by the main output shaft it will work as long as the prop shafts are turning, whether it is from internal or external.

If one is not sure the safest is always to remove the propshafts, rather safe than sorry.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

:silent:
Image Link Broken
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Ek sal liewers propshaft losmaak as ek ooit n tow sou benodig

Return to “Toyota Prado 4x4 Forum”