4x4 Bootcamp - Advanced Driver Training

Proper 4x4 training is important for all 4x4 owners.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Re: 4x4 Bootcamp - Advanced Driver Training

Post by GI Jane »

Ooops the only thing lacking was sleep, not much of that around....
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

ThysdJ wrote:... Hilux4x4 is also now the club that boasts the most accredited "Advanced Offroad Drivers" in the country...
:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
To God be the glory
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Specialy for aunti Val:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.................
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.

Post by GI Jane »

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Here are some of the photgraphs from my "broken" camera... :twisted: :twisted:

https://picasaweb.google.com/thysdj/BootCamp2011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Thanks virrie fodies....

Het julle julle high-lift jack by die huis vergeet die dat julle die airjack gebruik?! :twisted:
To God be the glory
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

vald wrote:I was at a loss for words for a moment, but that's fixed now. And the only photo's I took in the end were the group ones as we left camp. But now the words are back, and I have a ton of thanks to say......

Thys, Tinus, Anton and Dirk from African Offroad, Stu and Allan thanks so much for all you awesome instruction, training, encouragement and support over this weekend. My fellow hilux forum members Thys, Nick, Petrus, Wynand, Stu, Allan, and Carlo thanks, for all your support, encouragement and applause when I successfully completed the trail..... and definitely not forgetting my trusty Hilux, GI Jane, that performed at her best throughout the entire weekend to get me through without a single hiccup..... I had times, of (slight or was that serious) anxiety, loads of adrenalin, and great fun at bootcamp..... To those of you that were brave enough to drive parts of a trail with a woman driver well done.... think this weekend may have been one of those unforgettable memories that last a life time for me.....

The entire weekend was exceptional, good company, good food, good training.... definitely a highlight in my year....
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Tx for the pics Stubbs & report :thumbup:

Nice work Thys and Academy :thumbup:
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

The naughty boys at the back of the class....

Thys de Jager

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Oom Thys... as jy daai lampie voor op jou keps aansit dan hoef jy nie so te squint nie :twisted:
To God be the glory
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

CasKru wrote:Oom Thys... as jy daai lampie voor op jou keps aansit dan hoef jy nie so te squint nie :twisted:
Dit lyk so al of 'sy' batterye pap was..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

CasKru wrote:Oom Thys... as jy daai lampie voor op jou keps aansit dan hoef jy nie so te squint nie :twisted:
Dis 'n Chaainees liggie.. hy werk net in die dag... :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

ThysdJ wrote:
Dis 'n Chaainees liggie.. hy werk net in die dag... :twisted: :twisted:
Oooo is dit jou daytime running lights soos die nuwe Audi's en Kia's :laugh2: :laugh2:
To God be the glory
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Jip... daai liggie het lekker gewerk, maar sy batterye hou nie baie lank nie... dis ook chaainees.. :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Dissie die batteries nie, dissie wyn
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Thanks for the photo's Thys..... look great..
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

vald wrote:Thanks for the photo's Thys..... look great..
Thys doesn't! :twisted: :tease:
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

Where's the high lift jack boys :mrgreen: I think I will have to have a little chat with Thinus :laugh2:
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

We missed you there Mark... next time we'll get you in to do the Hilift jack lecture... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Gunta
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

Will definitely make a plan next time, looked like you guys had a ball. :thumbup:
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

As with most things, it all started with one question. "Are you guys up to the challenge to present an Advanced Drivers (US254154) training course?" This lead to the nodding of heads and a lot of uhmms and ahhs and we decided to take up the challenge. How difficult could it be? :think: :think:

After lots of deliberation, planning and head scratching we came up with the concept of a Boot Camp, where we take the participants out of their comfort zones, and put them in the bush. They were then expected to perform some challenges in teams of 2, 4, 8, or all together depending on the challenge. We also made use of certain outsiders to share their specific expertise and to add value to the training course. All this while covering the outcomes required by US254154 - Advanced 4x4 & Offroad Vehicle Operator.

Initially we aimed at recruiting 16 participants, and we had more than 16 at one stage, but due to some late cancellations we ended up with 15 entrants, making the team splits a little tricky. Luckily there was an 18 year old innocent by-stander who volunteered his services as a stand-in, and he enjoyed himself no end! A full blooded off-roader was born!! His dad needs to watch the keys to his brand new blue Fortuner. :twisted: :twisted:

After about 3 months of planning, admin, emails, meetings and negotiations the big day finally arrived on Thursday 10 November, when Anton, Steph and I hitched the trailers and left for Klein Tafelberg. Finally it was here, we were excited, and there were a few butterflies, but we looked forward to a good weekend. :wink2:

When we arrived, we were surprised by Dirk, who was supposed to join us late Thursday night returning from tour in Namibia, but somehow he managed to get back earlier. We immediately got settled in, started setting up the venue and scouted the trail to identify points where we would have our special stages on the trail, as well as the night navigation stage after dark.

Friday morning came and the participants started arriving from about 10h00. By 12h00 it was time to kick-off and we started even though we missed Shawn and Tinus, who only departed Cape Town International at 09:30, and made a detour to Piketberg for Tinus to acclimatise. They finally arrived, and by that time the first stages were already in full swing. Shawn had a bit of catching up to do, but that was handled in a jiffy.

Admittedly the programme started off a bit slow with boring class-room sessions, and even more boring camp inspections, but after about 2 hours the pace picked up with the tyre change, and night drive briefing. By the time the sun started its trek to the other side of the globe it was time for the teams to display their bush cooking skills. 2 teams, 4 potjies, and a whole lot of ingredients saw us chowing down on a chicken curry pot, a chilli con carne pot, a curry mince pot, and a chicken-ala-king potjie. Auntie Val was very worried about her cooking skills in the bush but her team's potjie was very tasty indeed. These guys can cook, and i would spend time with any of them in the bush, without worrying that I'll go hungry.

When it was nice and dark, (21h25) we split the participants into teams of 2 and designated a navigator and driver for each team. Night navigation was the name of the game, and the aim was to navigate around a part of the trail with the use of a road book, and find 2 hidden 10-digit numbers along the way. As this was an exercise in safe night driving the fastest time did not win the event, but there was a target time set up by us for the teams to try and match. Needless to say, the time was only known to the crew, and not to the teams. The team consisting of Carlo (d) and Allan (n) took 22 minutes to complete the task while Doron (d) and Petrus (n) made it in 11 minutes with lots of dust and much roaring of V6 Fortuner engine. The winning team (Rentia(d) and Adrian(n)) made it in 13min and 55sec. Only 5 seconds off our time of 14 minutes. On completion of this task at about 23h30, the guys and girls had a drink around the camp fire before they went off to bed for an early start on Saturday.

Saturday started off with coffee and rusks at 06h30, and lectures at 07h30. Tinus stole the show with an outstanding advanced recovery presentation, the likes of which was never before seen in Africa. After that we were ready for the trail, and for the surprise emergency stages.

On the trail we got everybody up the first long steep sand track with Kaspaas following behind. About 30m from the top, Kaspaas came to a halt, dug in deep, and I called for assistance. We were stuck in such a position that a one car recovery was not possible, because of the distance, the twistiness of the track, and the fact that there was no traction for any vehicle to pull away against the gradient. I got out, and sat down on the side of the track, and let the guys do their thing... Petrus, Carlo, Allan and Doron managed to link 2 cars together, and then hooked up Kaspaas, and with a quick tug or 2 got me up and over the top. The guys did the entire thing by the book. 100% for the task!.

As we approached a very steep decline, Auntie Val's Hilux popped a tyre off the rim! Next surprise challenge. The team had to stabilise the vehicle, chock the wheels and brace it with the help of Wynand's Hilux. With the help of an air jack they managed to jack the vehicle up and change the left rear tyre without the vehicle moving an inch. Safety, safety, safety! Well done, the team earned 100%.

From then on we drove all the way up to the picnic spot where we had lunch, and a briefing on the rocky trail that lay ahead. On the rock trail we started of with guiding the vehicles down a particularly tricky section. Everybody got the opportunity to guide a vehicle down, and all participants made the grade!.. Well done!

There was also a particularly steep rocky descent where a team was identified who had to do an assisted descend, with 2 vehicles helping each other to get down safely. This was also completed successfully. The rest of the trail was done without any further surprise challenges, and it was almost dark when we got back to the camp. Steph, our chef for the weekend, and her helpers had a killer braai ready for us when we arrived. After a quick hand-wash we chowed down on braaivleis, salads, toasties and other nice stuff.

The day took it out of the guys and after a short prize giving where everybody got a prize for something they did during the weekend, and a few thanks you's from the organisers, most of the guys went for a shower and off to bed. Petrus and Stuart were some of the first casualties. Thanks to Rupert Mansfield from Barloworld Toyota Kuils River for sponsoring the mystery prizes for the event. Auntie Val was so high on adrenalin that she was one of the last to go off to bed at about 01h00 on Sunday morning.

The sound of rain on the tent woke us up on Sunday morning bright and early, and we got started on a relaxed day, with lots of admin. We also had a high level Bush Mechanics lecture presented by Allan Venter (CEO of AEW Auto), followed by a Bush Medics lecture by our own imported Stuart Bull. Both these guys put lots of time into their presentations, and it showed. It was informative, to the point and taught a lot of people a few things they never knew.

After breakfast there was time for the formal exam, and once that was done, the rain dissapated and we gave the guys time to break up camp. Once that was done, there was time for a quick good bye and a group photo, lots of hand shaking and hugs etc etc and everybody went home. We all had a fantastic weekend of hard work and learning, and we are looking forward to doing it all over again!! :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:

The group:
4x4 bootcamp klein tafelberg.jpg
Facilitators:
AOA team 2.jpg
Thys de Jager

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Debeading the tyre:
These guys had a good old struggle... because we gave them 14" rims/tyres to work with, which are much more difficult to work with than 15" rims/tyres. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Emergency Repairs - Probably wouldnt last very long, but could keep you going for a few km's until you get to a safe spot or help.

Night Navigation Briefing:

Lets get cooking:

The lady with the "potatoes"...

Two vehicle recovery exercise
Thys de Jager

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Hoppy doing what Hoppy does best!

Skuins Fortuner

This is the Kaspaas way.... gonna miss that!

Thys de Jager

Gunta

Post by Gunta »

I see you used the high lift jack to de bead the tyre, well done boys and gals. :thumbup: What did Thinus have to say about that? :mrgreen:
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Gunta wrote: What did Thinus have to say about that? :mrgreen:
He said we should contact you to come show us, but you must have been in the shower at the time, because we got "The subscriber you have dialled is not available....." so we had to wing it.. :twisted: :twisted:

Are we doing it right though?? :) :)
Thys de Jager

Gunta

Post by Gunta »

he he, there is an attachment to de bead the tyre which protects the bead (which you should have done :laugh2: ), but if you dont have one you can do what you did. :mrgreen:
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Some feedback on my bootcamp experience.....
IMG_5069.jpg
all in a days work....
Bootcamp Klein Tafelberg November 2011-1050004.jpg
I think I remember comments like "low range 1st, then a quick 2nd and floor it, and keep your foot flat......."
Bootcamp Klein Tafelberg November 2011-1050114.jpg
Stu took charge of the exercise...
IMG_0288.jpg
and I searched for rocks to place in front of the wheels so my vehicle did'nt roll down the hill
IMG_5325.jpg
a choice given, a decision made, to drive the final section or not.....( and of course, a very brave man, standing in front of my vehicle like that)

Bootcamp Klein Tafelberg November 2011-1050201.jpg
Tinus hitched a ride with me a short way..... and the conversations went something like this...."do you have an eject button?" and of course I know the answer to that, "Yes, the passenger window, not a very big window, mind you," and then he said something like " you know I have young children at school, and I am the sole bread winner in the family," and of course I said something like, "Really."
IMG_5348.jpg
training in navigation, don't think he listened to a word I said, (don't blame him)
IMG_5352.jpg
At that stage I was thinking, is'nt that a shortcut, surely it would be much quicker if he just drove straight down there and avoided the bumpy road ahead....
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Part 2
IMG_5531.jpg
At this stage Tinus bailed on me, and no, through the passenger door,
Bootcamp Klein Tafelberg November 2011-1050365.jpg
was totally calm at this stage
Bootcamp Klein Tafelberg November 2011-1050370.jpg
and, yes Gunta my vehicle does have high lift jacking points, and a high lift jack, whether I would ever be able to use it, is open to debate....
IMG_5542.jpg
and no, I did'nt send the guy behind me via the shortcut, he made it intact....
IMG_0150.jpg
Oh I forgot, I did find time to swap recipe's with a fellow team mate...

and that's it...
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Part 3?
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

I suppose that will be the outcome of my attempting to use the high lift jack.... that will have to wait...
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

vald wrote:I suppose that will be the outcome of my attempting to use the high lift jack.... that will have to wait...
This was the outcome... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thys de Jager

GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Thanks Thys, am going to have to go and have another look at the youtube video on how to use the high lift jack again and again, so I get it right first time....definitely don't want to end up like that : :beg: :beg:
519franco
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Richards bay
Vehicle: 87 Hilux 3L v6 Ford

Post by 519franco »

ThysdJ wrote:
vald wrote:I suppose that will be the outcome of my attempting to use the high lift jack.... that will have to wait...
This was the outcome... :lol: :lol: :lol:

there a big problem...........
check all the lakker food on da table trhen look at his opening to eat from
HAPPILY BUILD 3L V6 1987 TOYOTA HILUX
viewtopic.php?f=136&t=18393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FORD> Full Off Road Damnation
FORD> Its not oil leaks,, its swearing power
Sponser: MY DAD
Builder: ME: FRANCO DU PLESSIS

Return to “Off-road Training”