Team Offroad ....

Proper 4x4 training is important for all 4x4 owners.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Team Offroad ....

Post by ChrisF »

Each and every one of us have a completely different 4x4 history.

This thread is NOT aimed at the long time experts ! Rather it is a pointer for those newer to the 4x4 game ..

Me journey reads something like this:
- 15 years old we were living on a plot outside Stellenbosch ... nice slippery clay when wet .... had to bring the Isuzu 4x2 langbak, with ZERO load on those back wheel, back home a few times when my mom just could not get that suzie up those slippery slopes .. :dance1:
- bought my Suzuki Jimny on my 40th birthday ... NO smart comments ! :twisted:
- The sale included a 4x4 training session .... for one reason or another this training kept on being moved out ...
- 16 December 2008 we did Two Oceans with a small group - three vehicle driven by first timers. Renier (SAUK) brought radios and gave us a 30 second lesson before we set off onto the trail. At the first obstacle he stopped and showed us the lines, then demonstrated as he drove through it .... This day was VERY nice to get the BASICS under the belt - EXCEPT, heading to Boomslang there was a little steep downhill section - as I hit the brakes the Jimny starts sliding sideways ! :shock2: Super slow motion !! And then I remember watching Andrew St Pierre White - let go of the brakes and clutch and let the engine do the braking, keeping the wheels turning, THUS maintaining control. THANKS Andrew !!
- A week later we went on holiday and did a few more trails, including Bojaankop .... just shear dumb luck I did not break the Jimny on that trip !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :surrender: :surrender:
- I then applied a LOT more pressure on Suzuki and 5 months later got to do the training. WOW !! Truly opened my eyes to a whole new world !!
- since then I have grabbed every opportunity to attend different training sessions with different trainers - each has their strengths and weekneses ... mostly because of the time constraints of each session.

Now jump ahead to November 2014 .... I hear Thys, Team Offroad, is doing a training session. And I join the team on Sunday to take some photos. But I am jumping the gun here ....

Thys, Team Offroad, presents RANGE of 4x4 training courses.
TOR-101.jpg
TOR-101.jpg (80.77 KiB) Viewed 6090 times
TOR-105.jpg
TOR-105.jpg (78.67 KiB) Viewed 6090 times
This particular one a two day course, with unit standard accreditation:
- Saturday - the theory of 4x4 ..... if you ask "What theory?" - well then YOU need to attend :tease:
types of drive - 4x2 vs 4x4 ....
HR vs LR ...
the three diffs, and the benefits of the different locks ...
TOR-104.jpg
TOR-104.jpg (85.14 KiB) Viewed 6090 times
- Sunday - With the basics in place the team meets on Sunday.
This is a 4x4 DRIVING course, yet the various recovery methods and tools are discussed in detail .... VERY handy session BEFORE you spend a fortune on equipment !! Just the saving on not buying silly stuff will pay your two day course !!
TOR-110.jpg
TOR-110.jpg (101.26 KiB) Viewed 6090 times
TOR-113.jpg
TOR-113.jpg (99.51 KiB) Viewed 6090 times
TOR-118.jpg
TOR-118.jpg (89.76 KiB) Viewed 6090 times
TOR-123.jpg
TOR-123.jpg (51.07 KiB) Viewed 6090 times
TOR-128.jpg
TOR-128.jpg (104.82 KiB) Viewed 6090 times
PS - this is NOT a recovery course. Simply not enough time in one weekend to cover 4x4 basics, driving and recovery into a single course.

Thys DOES have the experience to help each driver with HIS\HER 4x4 - once again, if you ask why this would make any difference, PLEASE attend training ! Each and every model is slightly unique, even the Hilux and Fortuner are DRASTICALLY different in its drive setup - with different benefits and hindrances ....

Thys gets down and dirty to help owners with THEIR vehicles !

Then it is time to deflate and head out on the trail ....
Last edited by ChrisF on Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Team Offroad ....

Post by ChrisF »

Thys getting "down and dirty" to help the trainees understand THEIR vehicles
TOR-129.jpg
TOR-129.jpg (97.94 KiB) Viewed 6089 times

Time to get ready for the trail
TOR-131.jpg
TOR-131.jpg (100.88 KiB) Viewed 6089 times

and then it is off to the trail. Thys leading the way, with his co-instructor being the sweeper. At each obstacle Thys gets out, discuss the issues, lines, etc. He then drives it, showing the best lines.

Each trainee then gets a turn to do it, with the co-trainer standing by to help.

GOOD to see the confidence grow as the trail unfolds :) :)
TOR-180.jpg
TOR-180.jpg (66.35 KiB) Viewed 6089 times
TOR-191.jpg
TOR-191.jpg (99.06 KiB) Viewed 6089 times
TOR-207.jpg
TOR-207.jpg (76.37 KiB) Viewed 6089 times
TOR-213.jpg
TOR-213.jpg (60.14 KiB) Viewed 6089 times
TOR-255.jpg
TOR-255.jpg (103.11 KiB) Viewed 6089 times
Ultred
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: '00 Hilux 2.7i D/Cab IFS.
Club VHF Licence: HC108

Post by Ultred »

I definitely need to book for these type of training sessions in the new year.
I MAY GET LOST, BUT NO WAY IN HELL WILL I GET STUCK
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

Thanks Chris for those awesome photos of the training. Brings back such good memories and reminds of the essentials of training and having a good idea of what your doing in your vehicle on a track or trail.... Looks great Thys...
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.

Post by GI Jane »

Ultred wrote:I definitely need to book for these type of training sessions in the new year.
Very valuable the training, have seen such positive results in some tricky situations from those that have attended 4x4 training.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

GI Jane wrote:
Ultred wrote:I definitely need to book for these type of training sessions in the new year.
Very valuable the training, have seen such positive results in some tricky situations from those that have attended 4x4 training.
there are at least TWO reasons to invest in training :

1) the most obvious - training costs are so much LESS than even minor damage on a trail !!

2) bring your other half along - now your other half KNOWS and UNDERSTANDS what a 4x4 is actually capable off. AND your other half learns about lines, and can assist you when things gets difficult out there ....

during the Jimny training it was so good to see how people SAW what a 4x4 can do and then suddenly the fear drifted away and by the end of the day they were COMFORTABLE to safely negotiate tricky trails. :cooldude:
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

I agree. Had my hilux for a good number of years before I even engaged 4x4, and then decided I needed the training. Well Thys and his colleagues did an amazing job, and my truck blew my mind when I saw what she was capable of, and the awesome places we could get to, and that with minimum fear because of the training. And in some tricky situations, Thys firm instructions stored somewhere in my memory reminding me what I need to do in the situation.. Definitely well worth the cost of the training...
Baasvark
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

Just a pity Thys is so far from us.....
Us guys in the states aren't exactly spoilt for choice!
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Jinne guys, you sommer bring a tear to my eye.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks for all the kind words, we do what we can to make our hobby/pass time/addiction as enjoyable and painless as possible. :thumbup: :thumbup: And we hope we can serve many more of our Hilux4x4 members in the future.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...

Return to “Off-road Training”