Team Offroad - BootCamp 2015

Proper 4x4 training is important for all 4x4 owners.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Team Offroad - BootCamp 2015

Post by ThysdJ »

And so it came to pass. After a long time of not doing it, Team Offroad did it again. We had a BootCamp. What is a BootCamp, I hear you ask? A BootCamp, for those who have not heard of the phenomenon before, is a weekend where normal everyday people get to behave like kids, and learn a LOT about their vehicles, testing themselves and their machines against Advanced Driving Conditions. All this is done according to the accredited Unit Standard US254154 - Advanced Offroad Driver Training, and presented in a way only Team Offroad can do it...

Unlike the past we decided against Klein Tafelberg for one reason, and one reason only... Distance. The distance between KT and Brackenfell makes a quick recce a weekend affair, and transporting all our equipment also becomes a hassle. So we opted for a venue closer to Brackenfell, and we happened upon Welgelegen4x4. This trail offers a lot of the stuff we needed, and wanted, and then some more.... The camping facilities, although very basic, is comfortable and clean, and with the new lapa and braai, built specially for us (or at least we would love to think so) it makes for a very sociable venue in the evenings around the fire.

The BootCamp kicked off on Wednesday evening at Bowtime in Gemini Street Brackenfell, where we got all the "How do you do's" and paperwork out of the way. Everybody was pumped for Friday evening, and getting dusty and dirty on the trail.

On Friday from about 17H00 the guys started arriving at the campsite, pitched camp and got straight into their "bonding session". We divided the group of8 participants into 2 teams of 4 and just to get the friendships and teamwork going we did what South Africans do best... we made potjiekos and ate.. Each team was presented with ingredients to make a potjie, and after about 2 to 3 hours we shared fantastic meal..

Then after dinner, and with full bellies, it was time for the first challenge. There was a chilly breeze, and the moon was not to be seen, so it was nice and dark. We lined up the convoy, did a Driver's briefing, and off we went... up the first hill. Once we reached the top, we regrouped, and one by one the participants were set off 5 minutes apart to drive the twisty and steep 5km route in their own darkness. The route was demarcated by barrier tape and traffic cones, and nobody got lost.
By about 23h45 everybody was back in the camp and lots of excited chatter could be heard as the guys discussed their first night time 4x4 trail drive.. They want more of the same!!

Saturday morning saw the guys up and about at dawn with steaming cups of coffee and rusks. By about 08h00 everybody gathered round for the traditional BootCamp Tyre Shuffle... Lots of strugling and sweating and with much clanking of tyre levers tyres were pulled off the rims, and put back on again. Words like "dropwell" and "bead" and "snotplug" were heard as the guys went about their business.

After everybody worked up a good sweat and got their hands thoroughly dirty, Altis called everybody closer for Brunch at about 10h00. After Brunch we got the convoy ready, briefed the guys on the challenges ahead, and one by one we ascended the trail again. On our way to 4 challenges which kept the 2 teams busy for the whole day.
For more details of the challenges you'll have to come join us on the next BootCamp, but I can assure you the guys were well and truly entertained, tested, challenged and exhausted by the time we got back to camp at about 17h00 in the afternoon. There was winching, there was triangulated winching, there was vehicle stabilisation, driving guided and this thing with the orange cones.... which was very interesting, and took on a life of its own...

Just in time for a quick shower, and a nice braai, put on by the Instructorsfor the benefit of the participants. It wasnt long after dark before the first of the guys sneaked off to bed, thoroughly exhausted after a long day in the sun.

On Sunday morning we had mostly the same routine as Saturday, exceptthat we did some serious kinetic recovery exercises, and after breakfast we left for the dam. Here we got an opportunity to play in the mud for a while.

By about lunch time, we returned to the campsite, muddy, and dirty, to finalise some paperwork, have a quick debriefing, break up camp and say our goodbyes.. All the participants were extremely happy about their BootCamp experience, and wants more of the same. Maybe we'll work out a BootBootCamp? So we all agreed that we want to do more outings, and that these guys are ready for some more challenging stuff....

Watch this space!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Re: Team Offroad - BootCamp 2015

Post by 4x4BEES »

Awesome, kan sien oom hulle het pret gehad. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Very Nice, Thanx for sharing...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Gerrie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1998 Land Rover Disco 1

Post by Gerrie »

Just before everybody starts asking. Yes, that is my Landy, and NO, it is not broken. We only used it for the winching exercises... :cooldude: :cooldude:
barryheyns

Post by barryheyns »

Die storie lyk baie lekker, ek dink ek moet bietjie vir 'n beginner course kom by julle!
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Gerrie wrote:Just before everybody starts asking. Yes, that is my Landy, and NO, it is not broken. We only used it for the winching exercises... :cooldude: :cooldude:
Why would you think we would do such a thing :twisted:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
wazungu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux 2.7i DC Raider

Post by wazungu »

Looks like a successful weekend! u guys know of anyone doing anything similar in Jozi ? ,I would like to get the new accreditation.
Hilux 2001 IFS 2.7 DC Raider
Land cruiser 105 4.5 EFI
Nissan X Trail 2.0
Datsun 280 ZX T Top
Kaspaas
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Post by Kaspaas »

Thys, do you have another Bootcamp scheduled for 2015?

If so me and Legolas will be keen to join in and get the paperwork out the way.
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

wazungu wrote:Looks like a successful weekend! u guys know of anyone doing anything similar in Jozi ? ,I would like to get the new accreditation.
You can contact Alan Goodway of Isibonela Adventures. He does exactly what we do in Cape Town up in Gauteng.

Cobus, ons doen weer die Bootcamp hierdie jaar, hopelik in Nov, as die getalle reg is. Ons kan dit nie met net 3 ouens doen nie, en as ons meer as 10 het raak dit te groot. Intussen maak ons gereed vir winter.. Hoe weet ek dit? Want die getalle vir training neem af.. Nadat ons in Januarie, Februarie en Maart volgeboekte kursusse (10+) gehad het, het ons in Mei net 4 leerders. Maar dit sit ons nie af nie... ons maak net reg vir groter dinge wat later in die jaar kom... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

wazungu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux 2.7i DC Raider

Post by wazungu »

ThysdJ wrote:
wazungu wrote:Looks like a successful weekend! u guys know of anyone doing anything similar in Jozi ? ,I would like to get the new accreditation.
You can contact Alan Goodway of Isibonela Adventures. He does exactly what we do in Cape Town up in Gauteng.

Thanks Thys will contact him
Hilux 2001 IFS 2.7 DC Raider
Land cruiser 105 4.5 EFI
Nissan X Trail 2.0
Datsun 280 ZX T Top
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Maputo
Vehicle: 1999 Surf 2.7L 4x4

Post by Firstoneman »

That looks like loads of fun! I would enjoy attending something like this. Is there any event that I could look into that is closer to Maputo? Not necessarily in Moz, but nearer in SA…like Nelspruit or maybe south toward Durban?

Thanks much!
May You Thrive!!

David
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Firstoneman wrote:That looks like loads of fun! I would enjoy attending something like this. Is there any event that I could look into that is closer to Maputo? Not necessarily in Moz, but nearer in SA…like Nelspruit or maybe south toward Durban?

Thanks much!
Speak to Alan Goodway. He has a group of guys working in KZN as well. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Maputo
Vehicle: 1999 Surf 2.7L 4x4

Post by Firstoneman »

ThysdJ wrote:Speak to Alan Goodway. He has a group of guys working in KZN as well. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thank you for the lead, I'm on it already. Cheers!
May You Thrive!!

David

Return to “Off-road Training”