Chimney Champ...or Chump?

And this is the part where we moan. If somebody rendered real bad service, weewee'd you off, caused you damage or cheated you (vehicle related), please please let us know by posting it here.
Forum rules
Disclaimer: The views expressed on this entire web site are of the poster only, and do not necessarily represent the views of http://www.Hilux4x4.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or it's members.

We do encourage our members to please make sure that they can proof the facts they post in the bad service section if they do comment on bad service. We also request our members to please do not get carried away when complaining about bad service. This is a public web site. We would like everybody to know when somebody delivered a bad service bad we do not want it to leave a bad taste in the mouth.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:11 pm

In feb this year I bought a 350mm Chimney Champ to crown the duct I had made to serve as chimney for my Braai.
Worked like a charm but had a knocking sound, started small but got progressively worse, and you can imagine the noise with a 1.2m steel braai as a sound box down below....

So I removed it last week as I have some time onhand and took of the turbine itself to expose the inner mechanism and discovered some play on the shaft; took it back to my local Chamberlains who got hold of the owner of Windmaster (as they have closed for season)...and the verdict is that there's no warranty as they have no control over the installation of their product (really? how difficult could it be....) and it must not be mounted over open flames as that supposedly melts the rubber seals on the bearings...eh askies?
Of course he could supply 2 new bearings at a cost of R1200 :shock2: and Chamberlains offered me a new unit at cost for R1500; they won't swop it out if they can't get a rebate from the supplier of course....which to me is BS but anyway...
Decided to decline....R1200 for 2 small bearings is downright ridiculous.

I then dismantled the mechanism thinking that BMG will have new at a reasonable price, zi just need to get the samples, but here's the surprise....bearings have steel covers not rubber seals, and are in perfect working order. The 5mm play at the end of the shaft is caused by a 0.3mm difference between the outer shaft & inner bearing diameters for the top bearing and 0.25mm difference on the bottom bearing. There are still machine marks on the shaft so it could not have been worn out by the bearings.

Maybe they should install an open flame under the machinist's behind so that he could learn how to use a vernier as opposed to a shifting spanner. :twisted:

Moral of the story...check the unit in-store before walking out with it....or go with Turbovent....have their product DIY installed on my roof and still running great after 4 years
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:55 pm

Eish! Maybe the machinist did his job correctly but the assembly guys fitted the wrong bearing size .... maybe one intended for another model with a bigger shaft.

So what did you do to fix it? Replace the bearings for the correct size inner or fit a spacer collar on the shaft?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:15 am

I would take it to the owner of Windmaster and give him a much improved exhaust with his own extractor!
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:14 am

Mud Dog wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:55 pm
Eish! Maybe the machinist did his job correctly but the assembly guys fitted the wrong bearing size .... maybe one intended for another model with a bigger shaft.

So what did you do to fix it? Replace the bearings for the correct size inner or fit a spacer collar on the shaft?
The thought had crossed my mind, but I doubt if that is the case, haven't confirmed bearing sizes though with a bearing supplier yet

At this point it isn't fixed...a collar would be feasible if the bearing seat is machined down as .15mm wall thickness is a bit thin...shim stock might be better. Quickest way imo is to have a new shaft turned considering machine time...and likely around R600 minimum
I guess that'd only be in the new year after season
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:11 pm

So there are no bearings in the size of the shaft...and if I were to replace those with the most expensive bearings off the shelf (otherwise) it would be R110.....far cry from R1200
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:38 am

I've sent a mail to the supplier and they actually responded with an offer to collect and repair or replace.
In the mean time I already had a new shaft made that solved the problem
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:47 am

Good to hear, but I would still try pursue the supplier for the cost of the repaired shaft. How long after your complaint did you have to wait for a response from them offering to repair or replace - and how long did they expect you to wait before making that offer? If the time frame is unreasonable you can argue the validity of taking matters into your own hands.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:13 am

Wasn't that long Andy, they responded within 3 working days after mailing them directly; but with me being on leave at the time I only checked my inbox a week later.
I honestly was not expecting a response so decided to do my own thing while I had the time, thus I can't really make that argument.

According to them the tolerances are by design to compensate for expansion but IMO that is still too much, the shaft will never expand 0.3mm sitting on top of a 3.5m stack. There is also a tolerance between the bearing outer and the brass housing which is much less that the tolerance measured on the shaft and we know brass expands much quicker, so I do not quite follow the logic of designing a much larger tolerance for a steel shaft.

Not sure what they would have done to repair it, and whether I would still have the problem after the fact, but at least with my solution I know what has been done and so far it is working great
Mud Dog

Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:50 pm

:thumbup:

Return to “Bad Service”